Noiseless Seymour Duncans (Strat)

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Dudeman7, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Hello! I just bought a Fender FSR Strat with a SSS configuration.

I have a couple other Strats, and one is an HSS with SD Classic Stacks, which I love.

Looking for something a little different for this guitar and have come across Seymour Duncan STK-S6s (which I understand are noiseless versions of the SSL-5).

Their STK-S7 too, which is a little hotter than the 4 but not as hot as the 6? Not sure if I fully understand the hierarchy.

Anyway, I am looking for the thoughts of those who have experience with any of these. I would like to stick with Seymour Duncan.

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Tried them all and Lace Sensors and Dimarzio Areas to me rule the roost. Just an opinion, I know you want to stick with Duncan’s.

3. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I think the STK 7 is basically a hot noiseless but I might’ve wrong on that

the STK 6 is the noiseless SSL 5 yes.

I had a STK 4 set for a couple years and they were fabulous sounding

David Garner and Dudeman7 like this.
  4. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Red Devils.

Yer welcome.

rct

Dudeman7 likes this.
  5. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Red Devils are the Billy Gibbons humbuckers right? I think I have that covered with Pearly Gates in another Strat.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Roca81 likes this.
  6. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Like Pearly Gates, Red Devils are Gibbons pickups. More important, they are great pickups. If it takes his name to get good ones I'm all for it. We did La Grange the other night, that's about it for my Gibbons stuff in my whole life. But MAN, them are some great pickups. The Custom Shop Pearly Gatesii for strats and teles are just fantastic. I have a pair in my #1 Tele, I love them, they do everything.

rct

Dudeman7 likes this.
  7. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

So, do you guys have any thoughts about mixing SD Stacks?

I am contemplating STK-S4S for the neck and middle positions and a STK-S6 for the bridge. Not sure what to expect from the bridge + middle position.

EC Strat likes this.
  8. EC Strat

You only live once!! When I had a stk 4 set I mulled over getting a Stk 6 over and over and over. Ultimately didn’t pull the trigger. When I switched the guitar over to an SSL 1 set I went with a tapped SSL 5 and it perseves position 2 very nicely. So you get vintage 2-5 and a hot rodded 1

Dudeman7 likes this.
  9. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Thanks for that. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Out of curiosity, why did you make the switch from the Classic Stacks to SSL-1s? Were they missing something that you feel the traditional single coils gave you?

10. EC Strat

The classic stacks are excellent and sound sooo close to the real thing. I wasn’t missing much at all with them - got lots of compliments on how my guitar sounded I just kept reading great reviews on SSL 1’s and really liked what I heard on YouTube’s So curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give them a try. Then the SSL 5. They are NEVER coming out!

But if I hadn’t made those changes I would’ve been extremely happy with the the stk 4’s and probably would’ve went with a stk 6 eventually.

the difference between them is slight but noticeable The SSL 1’s / 5 sound just a tab bit sweeter, a bit more mellow and a tad more chime. Makes them a bit more organic and responsive.

to combat 60 cycle, I put in a dummy coil / Ilitch pickguard system so I have hum cancel in 2 and 4 and drastically reduced in 1 3 5. Took some doing, had to buy a super switch and learn how to work with one and get the wiring right (there’s also a mid boost loaded) but it’s a killer axe now. It’s my stage guitar so I held nothing back and made it as best as it could be. (SS frets, bone nut and gotoh bridge)

Dudeman7 likes this.
  11. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Thank you sir! I think I will be OK with stacks since my amps tend toward the brighter side. Never had any problems dialing in an open, sizzly tone, even with humbuckers.

Also, I'm not really after "classic" or "traditional" tone from my Strat. (I use way too much gain, fuzz and stacked effects to pull that off.)

I truly appreciate your input!

12. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-O-Master

Agree

Rudedawg and Antstrat like this.
  13. FireFunkRevival

Lace all day

14. FireFunkRevival

Lace all day

15. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

STK-s4s are unreal stacked singles. I have them in the guitar in my avatar and they’re going nowhere.

Dudeman7 and SKYDOG4570 like this.
  16. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talker

I also like Fishman Fluence in the HB design.
    I don't object to hum, been hearing it so long, so Fender Texas Specials, and the Pablano's each have a distinguishing set of voices.

Never given the laces a test run. I should.

Downstairs in the family room I run DiMarzio B412, C420, N412, I don't know if they make them anymore but I like'em to hack away on in a black label MIM with seven way switching when I'm downstairs and neighbors and family are in hearing range. Crisp but mellow/fat sound. SSS, also running 500k pots no treble bleed circuit.

Dudeman7 likes this.
  17. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Thinking about going for a pre-wired pick guard with Vintage, Classic and Custom Stacks in the N-M-B positions, respectively.

I have seen them that have a push/pull Tone control for adding the neck pickup to the bridge or to the bridge and middle.

Went to buy one today and they're all sold out. Guess this project is going to have to wait a bit.