Join Strat-Talk Today

Non Custom Shop/Master-built Fenders made by CS/Master builders: How much do buyers care?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Golem, May 17, 2019.

1. Golem

Golem Strat-Talker

In the process of verifying that a '87 Strat Plus is legit, I found that the neck was made by a current master builder (CS employee at the time) and the body by a Custom Shop employee from that era. While it's obviously not going to have the value of a CS guitar, and only a subset of buyers will care, I feel like I've seen people sell guitars like this for a slight premium in the past. Just wondering what people's two cents is.

2. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

In the general world, apprentice pieces are worth less than master built ones. Even if the apprentice goes on to be someone special, there's no guarantee that his early work is any good. So other than for boasting in ebay adverts, I can't imagine it will make any difference.

Of course in the art world this doesn't apply. Picasso's early crayon scribbles will still command fairly high prices...

Golem likes this.
  3. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Just for laughs, here's one of Pablo Picasso's early works. He painted this self-portrait when he was 15 years old.

[​IMG]

Most people think of Picasso as the wild man Cubist, but don't know he mastered traditional painting techniques in his teens and began experimenting with form in his early 20s, before his famed "Blue Period."

And to stay on topic, I don't think buyers care at all. In fact, by claiming too much for the guitar, you run the risk of having prospects think you've artificially inflated the price. Don't mention it in the ad. Let it be a fun story you can bring up when you've got a buyer right in front of you.

4. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I suspect that the buyer will be proud to own a custom shop built guitar, assuming that he bought it because he likes the way it plays and looks. If you have two “identical” guitars together, and the one claims to be cs built and the cs built is priced slightly higher, it’s down to the buyer if they are content to pay a few dollars more.

Anyone selling anything should sell it in the “best possible light”. If that means posting the build history, there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

5. Golem

Golem Strat-Talker

Well 87 was the year the Custom Shop was created. I don't know what years the people who built my guitar started in the CS and I don't know when one became a master builder. I honestly don't even know how to find that out. It's possible if not likely the custom shop wasn't the same in it's first year as it is now making it harder to use categories we use now to refer to the builders in '87.

6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Actually, there is (source: 16 years a copywriter, 40 years in advertising). When you make a product claim, it has to be solid. Making a claim like, "I think the guy who worked on this neck ended up in the Custom Shop" is not anything like saying, "This is a Custom Shop guitar." It's more like saying, "You know, the guy who developed this Chevy engine went on to work at Ferrari." So?

A specious or weak claim to superiority is worse than no claim at all: it makes buyers think you're sketchy.

7. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I take your point which is very well made,and why I stressed that you should only tell the truth.:D

8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

If Mario Andretti once out has in a car it doesn’t make that car more valuable. Now a vintage Ferrari Daytona that was owned and driven by the man would be worth something.

Just because John Cruz inspected a neck back in the 80’s doesn’t mean the guitar is worth any more than a guitar of the same specs and year that wasn’t inspected by him.

As @Seamus OReally said just let it be a cool story.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

What make say think a current Masterbuilder made the neck.. By Made do ya mean he turned the CNC machine on? Every neck made since the early 70's has come off a controlled machine of some kind, with the possible exception of the occasional prototype, or other unique build..

and.. "Every neck made since the early 70's". has to factor in the transition period after FMIC formed, bought the intellectual property from CBS, and relocated too Corona, when all production was "subbed" out to Japanese companies .. I can't really recall if Fender was up 'n runnin' in Corona by '87 or not.... seems like '85 to '87 is pretty fast to go from ground breaking on new factories to cranking out the guitars we love, is pretty quick.... seems like it was more like '89 before that happened.. Some of the machinery takes longer than 2 years just to order, get made and delivered and installed.. a 4, 6, 8 station CNC is not like rolling in a new Grizzly Planer and pluging it in..

r

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.