Non-fuzzy fuzz sounds

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by brmusician, Jun 28, 2021.

1. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

For years, I thought a fuzz pedal was only useful for indie stuff, although Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and even Beatles used to use fuzz pedals in variable degrees of "note separation". However, pedals like Big Muff and Germanium Fuzz Face don't sound "defined" enough straight from the pedal... perhaps it sounds way better when plugged on a cranked 100W tube amp I guess.

What do you think? What's your recipe to get a defined, non-indie fuzz sound with good note separation?

2. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

Try not to let conventional wisdom define your thinking. Typically speaking, a Muff style fuzz is said to be great for thick, woolly riffs. Don't tell Gilmour or Santana that a Muff style fuzz can't provide good note separation.

Personally, I've got a Muff style fuzz and a Bender style fuzz. I can get good note separation from both of them. As with most things, it's about how the person uses it; however, if I had to pick one, I'd opt for the Bender style. That's just my personal preference.

Sarnodude and brmusician like this.
  3. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I define it as using my RAT clone instead. LOL

I went through about 5 Fuzzes and realized the tone was too hard to wrangle for my use in a gig. It was sooooo different tonally than the OD pedals I'd be using so I couldn't use it as a lead pedal. But I ended up settling on a RAT because it has some Fuzz elements to it, but keeps the mids. Scooping wasn't working for me.

Namelyguitar and brmusician like this.
  4. Hoodster

Hoodster Strat-Talk Member

You want a Civil War style Russian muff. I have a Mojo Hand Colossus that does exactly what you are describing beautifully, even at bedroom volumes.

Namelyguitar and brmusician like this.
  5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Strat-Talker

I like silicon Fuzz Faces. They take some getting used to, but, there is nothing more expressive than a Fuzz Face and, man oh man do they sound good up loud. So far I like FF into a light drive pedal (TWE-1) into my Fender Deluxe based W/D\W rig. With Fuzz Faces it’s very simple, back the volume off to where it’s no longer caving in and you will have note definition no other fuzz can match.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

What is/are
    Indie
    Non-Indie

brmusician likes this.
  7. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Turn down the gain for note definition.

Analogman Sun Face fuzz pedals are about the best Fuzz face style out there.

muffs are brutal - a wall of sound. Love the Big Muff triangle

8. Ongo Gablogian

Ongo Gablogian Strat-Talker

First off making sure the fuzz eq is like a puzzle piece to your amp's eq is super important IMO. Then Fuzz into OD. I like a germanium fuzz face into a klon type od into a blackface fender.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

I think a good example of indie tone is what Josh Scott, from JHS pedals, proudly extracts from fuzz pedals (even from other brands). Non-indie, I think, can be called what Gilmour and Page deliver.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Wow
    A straight answer...

brmusician likes this.
  11. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

I'm not bashing him... I like his videos, even what he does with fuzzes... he's competent on what he likes, although it's not of my taste.

12. Wayne Adams

Wayne Adams Strat-O-Master

Just to be pedantic :))), there's a wide variation in Big Muff pedals. I had a '76 or '78 edition that was capable of delivering excellent creamy, smooth, long-sustaining notes. Like a fool, I sold it, traded it, something; anyway, I know it left my hands years ago. All of them I've tried since vary widely in the levels of breakup and sustain. I finally settled on a Triangle Big Muff that's pretty decent - BUT: I also have a Marshall BluesBreaker II pedal, and I use the settings in my BOSS GT-10 to set different levels of overdrive/fuzz for each patch. And for some songs, I bypass everything and use the amp's own gain channel.

brmusician likes this.
  13. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

You need to go to the School of Fuzz. They all seem to have a personality. My Fulltone fuzz pedals work as supposed to