Non-S-Type kit build #001... OK to post here?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by BuddhaFingas, Apr 26, 2020.

1. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

We don't seem to have a channel that fits better, but I don't want to ruffle feathers.

But I don't know anyone on the Gibson forums, as I don't own one just yet - - and I like the crowd here.

Got this quarantine relief project just getting underway. My first build of any kind:

Annotation 2020-04-26 110841.png

2. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Cool !
    Do you glue the neck in ?
    Looks like a great way to pass the time.
    What color do you have in mind.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

What kit is it? (brand, model)

4. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

Please do tell! Been thinking about the 12 string version of the same kit? I’m going to get the kit to keep me out of trouble during the lock-down.

Ian
    SoCal

Groovey and Sybo like this.
  5. BuddhaFingas

Its the LP Flame Lefty kit from TheFretWire.com.

Yes, it has a set neck that has to be glued in.

Im goingto try for a color similar to the new Gibson Studio in Tangerine Burst, but with creme plastics instead of black. Orange Cream Popsicle!

The kit has a bound top and fretboard. The fretboard is synthetic rosewood. Neck is maple, body is basswood, and its got a flame maple veneer top.

It should be quite the adventure.

6. Ian Ashdown

Your post inspired me to order the LP 12-String kit tonight. Should be here in a couple of days.

I’d love to share thought, ideas, plans etc as we move forward with out kits.

I’m planning on doing a copy of a ‘57 Goldtop (Goldtop front and black back, neck and headstock) as I’m not sure the Basswood body will stain very to look like Mahogany very well.

I’m going to upgrade all the other parts, electronics etc

Have you started yours yet?

Ian
    SoCal

BuddhaFingas, CB91710 and Miotch like this.
  7. Ian Ashdown

I just re read the specs on Fretwire and it says the body is Mahogany. Have you received your kit? Do you think it is Basswood or could it be Mahogany?

I want the back and neck of mine to be dark, which if it’s Mahogany will just be a dark stain, if it’s Basswood it’ll have to be black I suspect.

Ian
    SoCal

8. BuddhaFingas

My kit is definitely not mahogany; far too light both in color and in mass.

They may have different woods in different kits, however.

The specs for my kit call out "basswood," Where the LP12 states "mahogany."

9. Ian Ashdown

Oh! I didn’t check the specs for your kit, just ‘assumed’ they would be the same!

I hope mines Mahogany, that way I’ll be able to do the dark stain like the ‘57! Exciting!!

I have never done any finishing of a guitar so this will be interesting! This is why I decided to do a solid metallic color, should be a little easier I hope. I love my Blood Orange Burst LP but a finish like that feels way too ambitious for me!

Good luck with your build, let us know how you get on.

Ian

BuddhaFingas likes this.
  10. BuddhaFingas

I've done some woodworking off and on through the years, mostly cabinetry, but I've never finished a guitar, either. This is going to be an adventure for me.
    First time working on frets (They need a lot of end work and some levelling), working with wood dyes (instead of stains or paints), first time trying to clearcoat anything that's not part of a car, gluing up a neck, assembling the bridge, etc.
    I've had a ton of experience soldering, though.
    I'm planning in using shielded wire extensively since the pickups are shielded, rather than foiling the cavities. LP routing isn't real accessible & the long runs from switch & back cry out to me for shielding.

I bought a piece of curly maple from a local shop, only 1/8" thick, to practice colors and dye technique on.

I can see that the figured maple veneer on the body is very, very thin; 1 or 2mm maybe. Will not tolerate a lot of sanding beyond the initial finish, so no room for errors or redo's.

Miotch likes this.
  11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like you got the plan and the skills !! Have fun and keep us posted as you progress. Nothing better than a series during a build.

BuddhaFingas likes this.
  12. Ian Ashdown

Having only dealt with Building Strats and single coils before, I’m not sure if humbuckers need additional shielding. My ‘The Paul’ doesn’t have any and it’s graveyard quiet! I can’t see it could do any harm however!

I plan to use an Obsidian Wire solderless kit, not because I’m afraid of soldering, but they are high quality, make swapping pickup easy etc.

I also plan to buy a piece of mahogany and a piece on maple as similar color to the actual wood as I can find so I can experiment with the stain/dyes etc. I do plan on all finishes being nitro.

Should be interesting!

Ian
    SoCal

13. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

That is cool! They have one for a P90 LP maple/mahogany. I kind want a Goldtop with P90’s. I’ve got too many projects in the go but if I manage to clear some room, the P90 model is coming over to my house :D

BuddhaFingas likes this.
  14. Ian Ashdown

My kit just arrived at the UPS store, but I can’t get it ‘till tomorrow. Looking forward to exploring the kit!

Graphtech have agreed to supply a custom set of tuners with the ratios correct for each of the 12 strings. Very cool of them to do that!

I don’t normally name my guitars, only 2 so far - Claire and Mia, but I might name this one Corona! Not the beer . . .
    Ian

CB91710 likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

There's an idea.

I bought a Solo spalted maple top kit with mahogany body last year, or maybe the year before.
    I never started the kit... just bought a bunch of the hardware for it.
    Since then, I've bought a Harley Benton P90 Goldtop, and a Gibson LP Standard, hence, the kit just sits.

But I've been wanting a 12 string electric for a long time. Might be a good use for the kit if I can fit 12 tuners on the headstock. Maybe a 10-string like BC Rich did? SoloComp.jpg SoloBodyBack.jpg SoloBodyTop.jpg Cap.jpg GlueSmear.jpg SoloNeck.jpg SoloHeadstock.jpg

Sarnodude, MrNeutron, Robins and 3 others like this.
  16. Ian Ashdown

Thinking about adding this Logo to the Headstock . . .

Corona.JPG

Ian

fattboyzz and BuddhaFingas like this.
  17. BuddhaFingas

I will catch up my progress here with pictures tonight or tomorrow: been working steadily along.

Summary so far:

Tons of reading, researching, learning about Les Pauls, watching dye jobs go sideways on builders on youtube (!), and ordering a handful of upgrade items without going entirely insane.

My kit is the "base level" no-options version, so the hardware is pretty much MusicLilly quality. Decided to replace the tuning machines with Gotoh SG381-08's as the provided ones seem kinda wobbly. For now, going to try the provided bridge, stop, and pickups.

Going to use vintage shielded pushback wire throughout instead of mucking around with foil tape - the LP body design doesn't really favor foil shielding.

Managed to cut my peg head to a damn nice impression of the Gibson "open book" design IIDSSM - - hair-raising work with a coping saw and rasps. I did have a fallback plan if it went south, but luckily I'm really happy with the result. My Gold-top lovin' guitar bud was very impressed - which was my standard of performance for the work.

The fret edges needed a lot of work; they were all cut, but fingertip-peeling sharp and painful to run a finger down. So I got out my needle files and learned how to dress fret ends.

A couple frets rock-test a bit high; will address once the neck is dyed and dried, as I need time for dressing file to arrive. Levelling will need more research, possibly a beam.

Neck is completely sanded. When it arrived the nut had fallen off, and I'm leaving it off until I'm done with the frets.

Neck joint fit is happily quite good, and neck angle tested against the bridge (with the nut in place) seems spot on. This pleased me mightily as the whole set-neck thing is going to higher-stress than cutting the peg head. I'm not gluing until dyeing is done (but before clearcoating) and at that point I'll be pretty invested timewise.

Now working on body sanding, first experience with basswood. Sanding maple is fun though time consuming, and smells like Popsicle sticks, which is nice. Thankfully, sanding basswood does not smell like bass.

I started on the hardest part of the body; the endgrain curve surrounding the cutout. Endgrain sanding is tedious as you want to only sand in one direction (not back and forth) and you need to go one paper-grade higher then on the flats, so the dye will not get too dark on the endgrain. But it's coming along.

I also invested in a separate piece of curly-maple stock wood from the local Rockler, so I can test out dyeing and color plans a little less "no net" style. It's sanded and ready for fiddling with, probably this weekend.

The veneer on the kit is literally almost paper-thin; you can barely see it edge on in the body cuts. It won't allow for much sanding, so doing the burst will have to be "right in one." Or else it'll be time to break out the Krylon. :/

Back to work!

Andrew Wasson and duzie like this.
  18. BuddhaFingas

Peg head cutting shots:

94257248_3227070947518326_2246269579435180032_n.jpg

94431732_529541447721197_6524660242997837824_n.jpg
    94751353_551447472461682_1897558259800211456_n.jpg
    94558886_720504828687766_6530593809036738560_n.jpg

94421610_236576707434459_7439839442161893376_n.jpg

19. Ian Ashdown

Great work! I’ll be listening for all the tips you pass on!

My kit was supposed to be delivered yesterday and today, but so far it’s still locked in The UPS Black hole!

Ian

BuddhaFingas and CB91710 like this.
  20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

UPS has been a bit unpredictable of late. We had a package sent from Seattle to our house in North Vancouver BC on April 18th. It’s a couple hundred miles, max. It was on a 2 day delivery. It arrived today and we tracked the damn thing across a bunch of states before it finally arrived. It’s probably going to get to you faster because it doesn’t go from one country to another but holy smokes what a botch up.

MrNeutron likes this.