Join Strat-Talk Today

Nostalgia, computers, and music

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I grew up in the 80s & 90s, and I was into computers (and still am). I started building my own desktop computers in the 90s, and I have some fond memories of those times. A while ago I came across the LGR channel on YouTube, which brings back a lot of memories - This guy has put out a lot of videos on YouTube talking about retro/old computers. This is a video of his I found today, where he talks about building a computer with good MIDI hardware to handle MIDI music (I remember working with much of this stuff back in the day, and I appreciated things like hardware MIDI support in a computer):

2. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The wizard next door..... Strat-Talk Supporter

I've always been kind of a computer geek. At least unofficially. I took my first computer science class in Junior high. On the Apple IIe. For my high school classes, we had the then new Apple IIGS models. Hard drives?? What hard drives! RAM? 640k ought to be enough for anybody..............:D

3. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Kaypro-II1.jpg And I bolted one of these to the top... Hayes-Smartmodem-1200.jpg and used the CB app at CompuServe.

5. Bowmap

But my first was this...

datageneralnova.jpg And I saved my programs on this... paper tape punch.jpg

CalicoSkies likes this.
  6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Holy cow, you guys have me beat. I thought I was old school starting out with Notator (later known as Logic) running on an Atari STe. Best midi timing ever... it was built into the hardware and the OS on those machines.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  7. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ll have load “*”,8,1 forever ingrained in my mind

vid1900, Chont, Bowmap and 1 other person like this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The guys at work always watch like they are looking into The Matrix when I drop into a DOS box and start manipulating files, or "Copy Con > Newfile.bat" and type up a batch file to do something simple.
    I'm faster using the old Wordstar "ctrl" codes than I am using the mouse for copy-paste operations.

First program was on punched cards on a Wang.
    2nd Program was on a TRS80 Model-1 (with a whole 4k!)
    First build was an XT clone for my buddy's mom, first build for myself was a 12Mhz '286.
    I haven't built one since my Thunderbird that I built in 2000 or 2001... used that one for over 10 years until the power supply finally died. I just buy HP's now.

Bowmap likes this.
  9. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a Sinclair way back when. I learned programming on a PDP something with cards.

Bowmap and Robins like this.
  10. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

Me too. I remember building my first dual Pentium II PC. The fans were as loud as a hairdryer.

11. Bowmap

While I did try to make music with the Kaypro I was not to successful. But my C64 on the other hand...

c64 music.png

Chont likes this.
  12. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I learned programming on TRS-80s back in college. Been writing software, building PCs, and administering development networks, for over 30 years now. Come on retirement.

I've always built my home desktops PCs. Not much if any cheaper than buying them, but I can get the exact specs I want. We used to go to the local computer shows to buy our discount parts before places like Newegg or Amazon existed. It seems like there used to be a big catalog to buy stuff from too, but I cannot remember the name now.

CalicoSkies and Bowmap like this.
  13. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It was a lot cheaper in the 90s, and you simply couldn't buy a high-end gaming machine off the shelf.

14. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The 90s were a long time ago for sure. I was just looking up Redneck Rampage yesterday, thinking it was an 80s game ... it was 1997!!!! I couldn't believe that. We've come a long way.

Yeah, when I said "the specs I want", I meant high-end. There were always places to order or buy high-end gaming machines, but they were (still are) expensive. I probably did save a few $$ building my own high-end gamers.

What saves me the most these days, is not having to buy a monitor. I just use my big-screen TV and kick back in my sofa recliner with wireless keyboard and trackball ... or my wireless xbox controller. Once the xbox controllers started working with PC game titles, goodbye keyboard and mouse.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Back in the late 70's (I think) I was on jury duty in NYC. During the void dire, one woman was asked what her occupation was. She said "I'm a WANG operator." Even the judge laughed.

16. Bowmap

Computer Shopper was the big one I would use. But my favorite mag was BYTE.

rcole_sooner and CalicoSkies like this.
  17. CalicoSkies

If you're using Windows, technically it isn't DOS. The Windows command prompt looks like a DOS command prompt, but there are differences, such as you can access the Windows long filenames, and there are some different programs available to you than there were for DOS. It's also possible to have 32-bit and 64-bit programs for Windows that don't have a GUI and run only on the Windows command prompt.

Yeah, it used to be that it was cheaper to build your own PC than to buy one off the shelf. Now I think it's generally more expensive to build your own PC. I still like building my own PC though, as I like being able to choose the components and put it together myself. These days it seems easier than ever to build your own PC, too. And often you can opt not to use an optical drive. It seems that a lot of high-end PC cases on the market these days don't even have a space for an optical drive.. I find that a little odd, since I at least like to have a built-in memory card reader - I like to take photos sometimes, and it's nice to have a card reader built in for transferring photos & things from mini-SD cards. I do like to have an optical drive too.. I built a new PC several months ago and included an internal 4K/UHD blu-ray burner (though I use it more often for ripping than I do for burning discs).

CB91710 and circles like this.
  18. circles

19. CalicoSkies

By "other peples' money", do you mean using a credit card or similar? I imagine that PC with specs you've listed above would probably cost about as much as a mid-high end Apple Mac. The i9-9920X processor alone is over $1,000. That's a beast of a processor.. I just built a PC a few months ago with an i9-9900K (8 cores, 16 threads) and I'd think even that would be good for video editing. If I did it again though, I would have probably gone with an AMD Ryzen 3 3900x, as it seems that's a better value for around the same price as an i9-9900K.

circles likes this.
  20. circles

Nah, just commenting on how sweet Macs are for creative types, but you do pay a premium. Plus I hate Windows. But you know how it goes "in the battle of you vs the system, back the system".

I'm editing 5K video and will be editing 8K, run of the mill isn't going to cut it.

CB91710 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.