Join Strat-Talk Today

Nostalgia, computers, and music

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM.

1. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I thought this was a thread about nostalgia? Why did you... ah never mind... by the time you posted it became obsolete. Tech moves on. :whistling:

circles likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Please kill me now. SID was amazing, the clip on slip off keyboard, not so much...:D

Bowmap likes this.
  3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's it!!!! Brings back memories. :D

Bowmap likes this.
  4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Plus one cannot build their own laptop. AFAIK. I know I am talking about building desktops. I buy my laptops.

circles likes this.
  5. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

yea sorry, the meth kicked in.

Bowmap likes this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

What makes Macs better for creative types? Is there some creative software only available for Mac?

7. circles

I think the architecture and software is considered for media production work flows in Apple, at least in the high end stuff. Any production suite I've been in is rife with them.

My PowerMac was killer for 3D animation - until Autodesk stopped supporting that chipset. My Mac went from being a powerful tool to a paperweight, just by loosing that one software package, as that was about all I was doing.

I've come to the conclusion that you buy Apple when you're spending Other Peoples' Money, PC when you're spending your own.

I wish there were more options.

8. CalicoSkies

I was reading an article a while ago saying many of the big software suites that were popular on Apple Mac (Photoshop, etc.) are now mainly produced for Windows. And Autodesk, as you've mentioned.
    Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "chipset"? Apple Macs use Intel processors, which are also used on many other PCs running Windows etc. And I don't think Macs have any special hardware chips that aren't available on other computers?

And by "spending other peoples' money", I assume you mean a Mac is the computer you'd rather buy if you had the money for it?

circles likes this.
  9. circles

The core cpu was a PowerPC chip, and one day Autodesk stopped supporting that, as it was announced the line was not going to be continued. I don't know the details, all I know is I had to migrate back to a PC to continue running new updates of Maya.

10. circles

/

Probably. I like using them.

11. CalicoSkies

Ah, I see. A computer processor is a single chip; usually, "chipset" refers to a set of chips that support some hardware feature, usually accompanying a processor (i.e., a pair of controller chips for RAM, etc.).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

circles likes this.
  12. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-Talker

My first computer was an Apple //c but I sure remember the days of the Commodore 64 with suck classic games like Stroker which really brought the family together.:)

[​IMG]

Bowmap likes this.
  13. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

14. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

Wow, I was born in 1959 and we didn't even have running water. We had a out house and we drew water out of the well in a bucket. I remember my Dad built a Jim Walters home in about 1968 and we got our first Television then. I remember that like it was yesterday. It was a big deal to the having a TV.. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have computers back then. But you know life was a lot better back then. I kinda wish all this technology hadn't been invented.

circles likes this.
  15. circles

We got Pong way back when. Kids: this was the first time in the Universe you could do anything with TV other than watch it. It was magic.

Next thing you know: Wolfenstein 3D.

There needs to be a Wolfenstein 3D movie!

16. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-Talker

Was I ever addicted to Wolfenstein when it first came out and I played it for hours & hours on an IBM PS2 computer! The chicken dinners that boosted your health sure looked tasty. After that I graduated to DOOM being the same idea but instead of Nazis you had evil aliens. That was another phase that became a game playing obsession.

circles likes this.
  17. circles

Oh my god. When Wolfenstein came out, it was not 'first' at all it's bits, but it put it all together and changed gaming. At the studio I worked a lot at at the time, my boss got hooked on it, so all bets were off! Plus then we got the map editor, and we made crazy maps. Good times.

Now I play around with the Unreal Editor, but it's just not the same.

BTW, Unreal Tournament brought production of the South Park movie to it's knees! We got yelled at for that.

images.jpg

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  18. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

My mom was a librarian so she started using them at work then ended up buying one for the house. Windows 3.1 on a 286 machine I think it was

Type in C: to get started and you were off to races

Then the noisy modem appeared

HTTP// and there you were. I think I'm old now

19. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

I came in after the older stuff, my first computer was a Gateway 200 mhz, had a 4 meg video card and another card that was the "accelerator" and windows 95.

Every once in a while I think about that computer and I look at my phone which fits in my hand and has multiple times the computing power and memory.

This is a strange time to be alive.

20. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

Back when 3DFX was a big player in computer games, yeah 20 years ago, they claimed that one of their video cards had more floating point power than the entire world's computers combined had in 1980. Wow.

NC

33db likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.