Not a NGD. but it's a *****EN G so I figured I'd gush..

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Whitster, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

This is a super cool "player grade" guitar. From the front it looks exactly like a 1967-1968 Gibson SG.

It's not.

It's a Gibson SG Melody Maker. The main difference is the original pickups (since changed out) and the thickness of the body. These things are THIN front to back and thus LIGHT. I mean SUPER light.

These are unique for Melody Makers. They don't have those weird fugly mid 60's shape or the early shape (that looked like Juniors from the front). These are the SG shape and they have the SG bevels and this one has the (semi) rare FULL size headstock. MM's usually have those weird headstocks that are much smaller.

Straight up - the original pickups in these SUCK. Some of the earlier MM's had cool pickups but in the late 60's --- they suck. You'd have to be SUPER indie to like em. They also came with a WHITE pickguard. Also unique for a MM, these did not have the tone and volume knobs IN the pickguard. The MM was the cheapest guitar they made so they put the pickups AND control in the pickguard - kind of like a certain guitar that Fender makes that starts with "strat" and ends in "ocaster"! But for Gibson - that's unusual (look at a Les Paul etc.) ...

So this MM has the nonMMesque design in that respect as well as the full size headstock.

Ok, the trem? meh... I took these pics right when I first got it . I have since changed it where I thread the strings through the wraparound tailpiece (like a Junior) - which imo gives way more resonance anyway (one of the pluses of a junior) AND i got a wraparound tailpiece with the proper placement for the "G" "saddle" being unwound (unlike the vintage one).

The neck is FAT!!! It's very playable but it's chonky! no doubt. Feels awesome. It is THICKER than the body, which is ... unique.

The body... this is a special one. I've seen a few of these bad boys - none have the amazing grain this one has. LOOK AT THAT SWIRLY ONE PIECE BACK! Dig it.

These things are a bargain (or at least this one was) for a 53 yr old Gibson and the set neck, and construction are the same as all the other gibsons (SG's etc) it just uses a thinner wood blank and has those craptastic pickups.

So, this replacement pickguard? It has (I believe) late 60's early 70's Gibson Patent # pickups. This guitar has the most unique tone of any Gibson I own. I have no other guitar with Pat # pickups to compare it to - but MAN is it awesome. I am agnostic on the whole - if it sounds good unplugged that means it will sound good plugged in this - but MAN this thing is loud and sounds great unplugged. It just RINGS.

One more thing. I oiled the fretboard and it is now dark and beautiful. The guy who sold it to me should be brought up for trial for violating the Geneva Convention for the way he ignored this fretboard and let it dry out. SO much better now.

The frets are original and pretty low. This means when you fret, you FEEL the fretboard. Some people don't like this - if all you play is medium jumbo, jumbo etc. you'd be like "what is this"? but I dig it. I could always refret it to big frets but since it plays perfectly with LOW action- that's a nope and I enjoy the difference between the lower frets vs the jumbos etc. where they are so far from the fretboard.

Super cool guitar! and it ROCKS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil.C, vlxerdon, Nubs and 14 others like this.
  2. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Congrats. That'll rock!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. Whitster

Yea, I haven't played it in about 2 years but I took it tonight and omg it rocks.

JJ119, abnormaltoy and s5tuart like this.
  4. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I had a 1970 SG Style Melody Maker (big headstock) with 2 single coil pickups, Vibrola, walnut finish, chipboard case. My first "good" guitar and first Gibson.
    No pics of mine, but found some on internet. They quit making that model in 1970. Big headstock was (I think) from 1967 thru 1970.
    Here's what that one would have looked like stock.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2021-9-28_7-42-29.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-28_7-42-55.jpeg
    [​IMG]

abnormaltoy and Whitster like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Nice guitar!!! No longer cheap.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Sweet1 HNGD! That sucker has character:thumb:.

JJ119 and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Man, that's a cool one

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. Whitster

Yea. Super cool.

Super cool . I like my Les Pauls, Deluxes,JRs and Customs but man... MM’s are cool

I have a few others - with p90’s installed etc

I just sold this 3/4 (22” scale) 1962 MM

guy who bought it is stoked

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/z3D517

JJ119 and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

Very nice looking guitar!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

This is sick, I dig it! Congratulations, nice find!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

Man, that guitar is super cool. It would be fun to listen to a recording; feel free to lay down a set of screamin' licks so we can hear what you're writing about!

That's the kind of guitar that could become famous like Johnny Ramone's Mosrite. It has that kind of character. So, yeah, go become a famous rocker with that screamer so we can say we knew ya back when...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. Whitster

Deal.

Ill work on something

Straticus and abnormaltoy like this.
  13. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

Very cool, ready to go mojo!

JJ119 likes this.
  14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

Nice old MM you have there, enjoy the heck out of it.

15. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I think Robby Kreiger used a Melody Maker on the first Doors record. HNGD!!

16. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Strat-Talker

The Melody Maker is a wonderful Gibson guitar. Joan Jett plays one

17. Whitster

Yes! I am a hyooge Jett (and Runaways fan). Good point. She's bada$$ but she's a SMALL bada$$ and MM's are a great way to get a lot of guitar in a LIGHT package. . Especially the old ones - throw some killer pickups in them (and a fret job if needed) and they hold their own.

IMMusicRulz likes this.