Join Strat-Talk Today

Not bad deal on a 63/64 guard...

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Bazz Jass, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

I paid way less for my Blackmore Strat.
    But yes, that is MiM and the guard is vintage and original.
    Prices are going nuts.

All the best,
    Robin

Believer7713 likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

My point earlier is that prices for vintage gear are rediculous. $15K for a couple pieces of wood and some metal is outlandish to me. Old doesn't equate to amazing. Does the guitar have a pedigree? If so, who played it? Does a guitar that was played by Hank Marvin, Buddy Holly, Eddie Van Halen, Buckethead or John 5 become more than the pieces that make it up? Or is it still just a guitar? I can think of so many other meaningful and impactful things that could be done with that kind of scratch. So yes $800 for a worn out piece of plastic that will no longer fit on a vintage guitar because, as even the seller stated, it's cracked because of the normal shrinking is absurd to me. What good is it if it doesn't do what it's supposed to? If one of ours cracked or warped we would throw it away and replace it with a usable one and not think twice about it just like our forefathers of music did with the stuff so many of us are willing to pay a U.S. mint for. Would you buy a tire for your car that was soaked in oil for too long and has swollen at the bead and will not properly seat on the rim just to put in the trunk and take up space for that kind of money? The olny reason something like an old worn out piece of plastic or an old worn out guitar or even an old guitar in good shape is worth that kind of money is because someone is willing to pay that much for it. They will pay because of somebody else's marketing skills.
    If it truly is worth that much to you and you can afford it without putting yourself or your family out of any necessities then have at it. That doesn't mean I have to condone it but you still have what you want.
    I also think that a guitar made to the tolerances of todays instruments are, more times than not, far better instruments. We have the options to change things as we need or like so much easier today. Plus, knowing that nothing is perfect for every individual, which includes these 60 year old guitars/parts, I would feel less guilt about changing something to make it better if I didn't spend 1/4 of a years gross wage on it. I won't even buy a new vehicle again because of the instant depreciation value when you sign the papers and drive it off the lot. I'll let someone else take that hit and wait a few years and buy it at a price that's fair.
    Again, this is my rational and the opinion of on man out of 7 billion people on the planet and not a rant. One of the great things about a forum such as this is that we can all come together with a commonality and share our different opinions rationally.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Strat Jacket likes this.
  3. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

I couldn't agree more. These guitars were made to be disposable in 5-10 years.

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

This is a discussion that regularly resurfaces. And there is probably no right or wrong, so I entirely respect your opinion.
    But...
    First of all, I'm a little bit surprised about some of you condemning people on how they spend their money. Most people work hard to earn their money, so they can do whatever they like to spend it, no? Be it on guitars, cars, vacation, house decoration and other collectibles. Most people have one or more passions and are ready to spend more money on those than others. And depending on their disposable income, these amounts can vary a lot. I don't care about cars, but I can understand and even appreciate other people having that passion and spending money on it.
    Secondly... Prices. It's called a market for a reason. When there is an offer there is most likely a demand. Prices are ridiculous? Maybe for you. But that's all very subjective and personal. Where I live, small houses (<300sq. Feet) cost a ****load of money, definitely not worth it, in my opinion. Again, very subjective and personal, because others will definitely not agree. Same goes for certain cars, boats or even furniture.
    These guitars aren't all fantastic, they aren't all magical, but if they are, they are wonderful. And most can be set up to sound very good. They have worked over the years, they aren't all in good shape anymore and definitely need some tlc from time to time. Probably the quality of new guitars is more consistent, but a good one is definitely not the same as a good vintage one. Not in sound, and not in feel. But I admit to this, a lot of sentiment comes in to play, and as we know, sentiment can make the people do the craziest things...

5. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Could you imagine telling some assembly worker at a pre-CBS factory "in 50 years that piece of plastic will be worth 4 months of your salary..."

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  6. Mipstoo

4 months? Closer to several years... ;)

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  7. Believer7713

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was condemning anyone for spending their money however they want to spend it. Like I said if said person can afford it and not put himself or his family out of any necessities then that is his choice. What I was trying to infer is that I cannot justify it and I am a guitar guy who owns over 20 guitars. I grew up dirt floor poor and use all of my tools for what they were meant for and a guitar is a tool. I know I would be too scared to use my $15K guitar to perform with so it would be a true waste to me to buy one that couldn't be used. I also see buying parts that aren't usable the same way. Now like I said that's just me. If it is worth that much money for someone else to spend that kind of money to put it in a case and let it set for the rest of his time then that is choice and I have no say in how that guy spends his money. Personally, I would much rather have a nice looking guitar that I can be comfortable playing on stage.

8. Mipstoo

I play my guitars on stage every week and furthermore, I let others play them too. They are indeed tools. Some forum members have seen and played them. But I don't have 20 guitars, I content myself with 6-7 guitars ;) Personal choices

McPhaul and Believer7713 like this.
  9. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

EDIT: ups, wrong thread, sorry.

All the best,
    Robin

10. Believer7713

Yep. The whole point, like you said, is personal choices. I have mine because I have built or assembled them myself. That part of guitars is like my model building. It wont be long and I will probably be thinning my heard a bit but I also do not ha e any two that are the same.even the two that are the same model are different.
    Again personal choices and that is completely respectable.

11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh dear, all I said was it looked good compared to other prices of the same thing....:confused:

Obviously most of you aren't....but if someone is looking for an original guard for their 63/64 strat, this is a good deal compared to other ones of the same vintage that have been offered for sale recently.

(I will of course now head straight over to the Casio forum and ask if they think I'm getting a good deal on the new/old stock crown for my Rolex Subby....)

crashbelt and Mipstoo like this.
  12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-Talker

Wow some people don't like vintage , personally, I would rather have one Good pre CBS than a whole host of other cheap guitars can only play one at a time and we all have one guitar we always go to grab. Plus they are a piece of history and a part of fenders great story from its early days . I was brought up playing my dads 59 ands its the best sounding and feeling guitar I've played nothing else has ever come close over my 35 years of playing and trust me I've tried to find one, but nothing comes near it . Hopefully I will one day be its custodian but I'm happier seeing my dad still enjoy it at the moment so in no rush yet

13. Believer7713

It's not that I dislike old guitars or the history behind them. I also completely understand sentimental value over intrinsic value. I have three guitars that are my go to axes depending on what I am playing. Two strats which I have made my own in every way. They play and sound amazing for my style of playing and I can dial them in in a heartbeat. The third will never leave me because I wrote and recorded my wife's wedding theme/march with it. It's not an expensive guitar in any way but it is priceless to me.
    All I am saying is that for me, as much as I love playing, building and modding guitars I just don't understand how prices on eorn out parts can be so high. I can, however, understand if they are still useable and in goid shape...but shrunken and broke? That just soesnt make sense to me. I can also understand how an entire guitar that has truly survived could be valued as highly as they do but I couldn't justify spending that much on one guitar. I haven't spent 15k on my entire collection because I have become really good at buying them worn out and cheap as a result and making what I want out of them. In 40 years from now if someone were to try to sell a pickguard from my 94 strat for those prices and it wasn't broken and did fit I would think it's crazy. Its still a piece of plastic that has a finite lifespan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.