Not enough GAIN!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by choronzon777, Jul 11, 2009.

1. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

DIGITECH GRUNGE!!! Over the top distortion at any volume.

2. firesgt911

firesgt911 Strat-Talker

I have a Digitech Grunge pedal. Not a bad pedal at all. Not great either, but pretty good. It is definately a dirty pedal. Even with the gain down all the way it is extreme.

3. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Strat-Talker

I just got a new spider 30 for under 200 with taxes and im very happy with my choice.12 " spk. 4 chanels clean , dirty , metal , and insane Plus 6 effects but my favorite featurt is the dist boost which is like having a built in OD pedal on all chanels .

4. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Strat-Talk Member

+1 for using small, inexpensive modeling amps to achieve high gain tones in the bedroom..

I almost bought the Vox AT 30 for bedroom/ 'good neighbor' volume blues overdrive tones. Still might, though I'll probably wait till I find one on craigslist.

I'm a tube guy but modelers have their place.

Steve

5. choronzon777

choronzon777 Strat-Talk Member

6. Nightprowler

I hear you man . Maybe what you really need is a decent wet effect like reverb/echo or better yet compression . You have all the right stuff for the pre stage but maybe lacking the post and any tube amp will highlight the good and bad stuff .

7. Nightprowler

I hear you man . Maybe what you really need is a decent wet effect like reverb/echo or better yet compression . You have all the right stuff for the pre stage but maybe lacking the post and any tube amp will highlight the good and bad stuff .

8. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

I have a small Roland Micro Cube amp. Weighs 7 lb, perefct for apartment use. Volume & gain controls. It has digital Boss effects "COSM" technology built in plus amp models. The "Metal" or "Rectifier" amp models will produce major gain with no other pedals necessary.

Why don't you take you Strat to a store that sells Roland & check it out. I think you'll be surprised how good it sounds for a tiny amp.

9. Nightprowler

dude if you modify your amp you will kill any future value it will likely have since tube amps always go up or hold their value . You should at least consider this point and try a few transistor amps before you modify your amp to work like one .

10. 4lejandro

4lejandro Strat-Talk Member

Try his pedal (DOD), a compressor and a noise suppressor.

As others have said, most of his tone comes from the way he plays (light strings over a scalloped fretboard), and I think he has his guitars setup with the action slightly high.

11. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

one option is from the tubes by over driving them. sounds like that isnt really an option since you said you cant crank the amp and that is what you would really need to do.

second idea is get a pedal that fits what you want. not sure what that is but if it is gain galore might want to look at the zvex box of metal or one that I am really kinda interested in trying out the tight metal.

third option is to use the gain on the amp (maybe not with that amp), use a booster, overdrive, and eq or two eqs. one before and one after the over drive. EQ makes or breaks the tone for high gain stuff.

forth option is to get a different amp that already lends itself to the sound you are looking for. If its a YJM sound that you really want. http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=YJM100 but I hear that has to really be cranked and that it is a really really loud amp.

12. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

wow that is a bit scarry.
    1. depending on who mods your amp it could very well sell for more. (ever seen a jose go for under $3000 grand? a cameron that sold for less than the value of the amp new in its original condition? )
    2. a quick search of digimart for tube amps will quickly put the idea to bed that tube amps always go up or hold their value.

having said that power scaling for a 5 watt amp?

13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member

Zombie thread alert!!!

14. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Didnt even notice that. maybe we can turn it into a bin laden thread.

15. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member

Okay, I heard Chuck Norris just got back from Pakistan. :shifty-eyed-rumor-starting-look:

16. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

the A-team gave him a lift home...

17. borismcorpheus

borismcorpheus Senior Stratmaster

Yngwie's tone is hard to perceive at times since he's always playing lightning fast, but I think two key characteristics of it are: GAIN and ARTICULATION CLARITY.

GAIN: can be gotten from many different sources. He gets it from huge cranked Marshalls. Given your situation, getting a pedal is more feasible and can still get the job done convincingly on the scale of your application. You don't HAVE TO use a super cranked amp if a pedal at lower volumes can get you a similar effect. (Also, I recommend sticking with a tube amp for the fatness tubes impart to your tone).

CLARITY: the innate qualities of a strat should take care of this. If it sounds too dark or muddy, raise the treble end of the pickup and lower the bass end, and/or tweak tone knobs / eq's to compensate.

I have a similar rig (AC4TV and a Strat) and find that I can get a usable Malmsteen-esque tone just by pickup height adjustments and using a decent distortion pedal (Vox Satchurator). Best of all, I can use it late at night with by using the built-in attenuator and lowering the output volume on the distortion pedal.

18. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I play single coils all the time. I plug into the clean channel of a tube amp. I get my dirt from a Tube Screamer, and my wild over the top gain from stepping on a ProCo Rat while the Tube Screamer is still on. This combination in my experience, will give you more gain than you could ever need.

19. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

eeeekkkk. doesn't that also give you allot of noise as well?

20. bscenefilms

bscenefilms Strat-Talker

When I bought my Strat, I was used to my LP through a high gain Marshall. When I played the Strat I was not happy with the output. I dropped a set of white Lace Sensors into it and that helped a lot.