Not even a gig bag now?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Deafsoundguy, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

So GAS got the best of me after seeing a certain Reverend guitar. I ordered a Roundhouse last night. I have to admit, it was pure assumption, that any guitar comes with at least a gig bag these days... I guess not! I looked at several online stores featuring the same model and they did say that a hard case was available but I’ve never heard of new nice guitars not coming with something. I’m not complaining, because I was planning on upgrading anyway to their teardrop case. Is this something that’s common now? I don’t believe that any new Fender product doesn’t come with a case of some sort, could be wrong. Curious to know if other import brands come with no case of any kind...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I await a new toy! @axejock you know this is all your fault right? ;)
    E639E9DF-B8C1-45AF-ADD5-AF7C13089532.jpeg

2. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I know....I've learned how to motivate those "on the fence with gas" from the grandmaster of this site, Vid1900! But I did know about the Reverend guitars not including cases, so if I decide to buy the model I like, I will include the $150 teardrop case with the purchase. Anyway, congrats on that new guitar....those are really cool!

bluesguy62 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Of all my guits, only 2 came with a gig bag and none with a HSC.

4. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-O-Master

Really nice looking guitar.:thumb:

All of my guitars were bought new over the years and none of them came with a gig bag or hsc, not even my 2 Fender strats or Epi SG's. The only guitar that came with a case was a '99 Gibson LPDC bought from my wife's nephew and it came with a Gibson hard shell case when he had bought it back in the day.

I was looking at some high end strats today on Fender's site and gig bags/hard shell cases were listed as accessories on the ones I looked at. I may be wrong but I think Gibson is the only company that includes a case on certain model guitars.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    bluesguy62 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Squier don’t. And Most MIM Fenders and Pefprmer come with Gig bag. Pro and ultra have a plastic case.

jtoomuch and Deafsoundguy like this.
  6. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I guess if you add in the cost of the case with the Reverend you'll get the true cost of the outfit.

As an aside my Fenders and Gibsons all came with cases/gig bags.

Stratoman10, 3bolt79 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  7. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker Silver Member

I didn't get one with my Charvel MiM.

Just two hex keys.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Deafsoundguy

It’s enlightening to say the least...I can’t really imagine buying a guitar or bass without a case of some sort. But I guess having the “option” is just that to save money.

My MIJ Daybreak Tele came with a Fender gig bag, but both ModShop guitars came with Fender HSCases at no extra charge. Maybe I just got lucky :thumbd::).

Rudedawg and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I didn’t get one with my Jackson Pro Series either. @HazyPurple

HazyPurple likes this.
  10. Deafsoundguy

That’s just WRONG! :(

HazyPurple likes this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I only ever got one with a gig bag. I've had a few with cardboard boxes, some didn't even have those...

HazyPurple and Deafsoundguy like this.
  12. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I bought a brand new Gibson SG from an authorized reseller back in 1973. No case, no gig bag, nothing but a manual and warranty card attached by a piece of string to one of the tuners.

13. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-O-Master

That's great:thumb:; I ended up having to buy gig bags for all the lower end guitars and hard cases for all the higher quality favorites. Luckily most bags/cases were bought on sale back in the day.

The only h/s case that hit me really hard was a Taylor case for my 710ce and that one set me back $225.00+ tax the day I bought that guitar decades ago. Anyway, they're now all covered from dust and the elements which is a good thing.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I've been out of the market for a new guitar so long. All of mine came with hardshells included when I bought them. I was shocked a couple of years ago when I saw the $2,200 PRS Silver Sky only came with a gig bag. Guess that's better than a cardboard box with styrofoam.

15. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It's not 1980 anymore.

Well... actually, in 1980, the HSC was a $100 option, not "included", but most dealers threw it in... to the package and the price... but it was itemized on the receipt.
    Today, the Player does not even come with a gig bag. The Vintera does.
    US models, the Performer comes with only a bag.

Squier and Epiphone come with a "box"... I'm not sure about the Les Paul Tribute/Studio, but I suspect it comes with the "hard bag" which is actually pretty nice.

But even Suhr does not come with an HSC... and I get it. If you're spending that kind of money on a guitar, A) You are going to have the money to spend on a hard case, and B) Why would I want to pay Suhr $200+ for a case that I may not want?

Nate D and Deafsoundguy like this.
  16. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

You don't even get styrofoam anymore ;)

Miotch likes this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Selling aftermarket gig bags and cases means added profit for dealers in the same way that accessory items for cars and trucks are for auto dealers.

Like many others, I don't agree with this move on the part of manufacturers and would gladly pay $50-$75 more for a good quality gig bag or basic HSC.

But few manufacturers include them with all but the very priciest models so we may as well get used to it and simply budget the cost of a bag or case.

18. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

You make plastic case sound cheap 3bolt. At least with those models fender gives you something that really will protect the guitar.

CB91710, 3bolt79 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  19. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I mean, yeah, at a retail of 1300, I would also expect a gig bag. Honestly, though I was recently looking at the Gibson tribute line and the gig bag is so bad they shouldn't even bother. You'd be just as well off wrapping it in a blanket.

I will say that Reverend is a smaller manufacturer, so the lack of volume would make even a decent gig bag a higher cost for them. When you're Fender or Gibson and can buy a basic bag in huge bulk lots, the cost per bag is pretty low. That "free" bag isn't free.

soulman969 likes this.
  20. Deafsoundguy

Yes the Reverend was $1300 street price (like $1700 I think retail), and at over $300 more than the PRS SE SmurfBurst I have, both made in Asia, I really expected a gig bag. Really surprised actually that PRS can do the guitar that cheap considering how nice it is, and throw in a great bag.

The Fender gig bag is nice, no complaints but the PRS gig bag is super nice, I am impressed with its quality. And I love the little foam headstock protector inside, it’s smart.

I was not aware that it is normal for “import Anvils” that is - cardboard cases, were the norm... :(