Not even a gig bag now?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Deafsoundguy, Oct 28, 2020.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Given the current designs and the protection afforded by many hard sided gig bags IMHO it would be smart for manufacturers to provide one with the brand name neatly stenciled or embroidered on it but then dealers will more than likely go back to pitching a fit over it because it takes away a profit center.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  2. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

MF offered a Guild 12 string with a gig bag which I almost went with but wanted the Burst Finish over the natural so didn't. It is a bit of a bummer that even though its not a very high dollar purchase a gig bag would have been nice since the other one comes with one and is the same model. MF doesn't seem to even sell the gig bag separately. So now I find myself shopping for a gig bag to fit a 12 until I can get a case which I'll get when my backstage points clear

3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

That's actually a really good point of reference. It made me curious enough to look up when the SE line started vs Reverend. They are both made in Korea and started in the 90's there, with PRS being earlier. Of course PRS still manufactures more overall and is still an older company, so they have had more time to get these things sorted. Still, you would think Reverend would have enough clout/business sense to know how to get decent basic bags for their pricier models.

I have heard nice things about the PRS bag. Most notably because they got so much attention with the Silver Sky release. The internet said: "NO HARD CASE!!! ARRGHH!!!" Working musicians said "Hey, this is a great bag." From the few that I personally know and the ones I watch/follow on youtube, bags are much preferred to hard cases. I bought a hardcase to take a guitar on long work trips and used it once. It sucked. Bought a MONO bag based on the advice from a touring musician I know that does lots of flyout gigs and it has been awesome.

Edit: For complete honesty and transparency, I did end up buying a slightly higher end Gibson for a few reasons, one being because it had a hardcase. However, if their tribute models came with their nice bag, I might have been swayed.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  4. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 Strat-Talker

If you look at old Gibson and Fender price sheets, you will see that the case was always extra. Most people bought them, based upon vintage guitar listings. Here is the entry for the Les Paul Deluxe in the 1973 Gibson price guide. You can see that you had options for the case. Also, before people start drooling over the $525 Les Paul, that is over $3,000 if adjusted for inflation.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

the shop i used to buy from in the 90s always threw in a case. I remember when I bought my 93 MIK Squier series strat, Pete climed up into the storage area above the register a found a nice Fender case he said he knew he had somewhere. It didn't come with it but he threw it in.

Seminole (Semen Hole as we called it LOL) Music was a great store.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  6. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-Talker

I grew up playing or singing. Been a musician all my life. A HSC was always considered an integral part of the instrument. The instrument had little value, without it, because it had no protection from wear and tear. Any instrument you could carry had a case.

For some reason, this doesn't seem to be the case, (no pun intended) with guitars. I shudder, every time I see somebody out in public, with a guitar in a "gig bag".

7. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My Ernie Ball Music Man came with a beautiful case. My Fender Professional Strat came with one of the great, plastic cases. My Fender MIA Standard Strat came with one of the standard, black hard-shell cases. My Martin acoustic came with a great hard case. All 4 of my PRS's came with really nice gig bags for both the S2 and SE models. My Gibson Les Paul Studio came with a hard case, but was purchased used so I don't know if the case was a part of the original deal . All the rest of my guitars required additional expenditures for protective cases by me. No case at all seems to be the "new normal", but it was a surprise to see the new Epiphone, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Limited LP comes with a "special hard case". Go figure!

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

First off nice guitar!

As far as I know Reverend always did the case extra, even back when they were making guitars in the USA. For a while they were doing both the teardrop and a less expensive rectangular case, but these days they just do the teardrop case. Which I've seen one of them; it's a very nice TKL case made in Canada. But it's kind of pricy and it is extra; the local Reverend deal (part of a small regional chain) has told me they could get me a good deal on the Reverend case or offered up Roadrunner bags or cases. But they also won't come down off the MAP on their Revs or Fenders so I have yet to do any business with them.:(

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  9. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, that was essentially the point I was trying to make. Selling guitars without a case or gig bag isn't anything new really, they sold 'em that way back in the day. I put everything I had into that SG at the time and it rode home with me nekkid on a city bus. By the end of summer I did have a case for it although it was many years before I was able to spare enough change to get a real Gibson case for the thing.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

When I began to purchase new gear in the '60s any Fender instrument I bought, or those my band mates bought, came with a black hardshell case with orange fur lining.

Fender may have charged dealers for those cases but at that time dealers simply bundled a case with each new guitar purchased since nicely padded gigs bags didn't exist at that time.

So, it wasn't so much that we bought them as they were included in the price the dealer charged. What else could they do? Hand you a brown paper shopping bag to carry your new guitar or bass in.

Neil.C and Deafsoundguy like this.
  11. JayCee453

JayCee453 New Member!

Conversely as I keep my few guitars in hard cases I'd be pretty unhappy about paying for a gig bag I didn't want, and vice versa if I used gig bags. And the guitar that lives out permanently for casual playing doesn't need either, it would just be more clutter. If it has to go somewhere I get another guitar out of its case.

catsandstrats and Deafsoundguy like this.
  12. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

The used Sensei Jr. I bought awhile back came in a pretty nice SKB case , I usually use a cheap case to carry around my guitars , so I put the SKB in the closet for times I need more protection . The bonus is my Teles and Strats fit in it too !

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  13. JimmyDee

JimmyDee Strat-Talk Member

My Japanese Ibanez RG reissue didn't come with a case. Likely to keep cost down.

The store threw me a beat up rental case for free for it. I've never had to buy a case save for my Masterbilt (but that was because I wanted the matching Epiphone case). Everything else has either been thrown in or it came in the box.

Which is too bad because I want to justify an Ibanez flight case... They look like the same brand that makes the current fender flight cases. But they're also 300 dollars... :whistling:

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  14. CKC411

CKC411 Strat-Talk Member

That's a beauty!!! You know, I just received a $1000 Fender that came with a total POS gig bag. I love the guitar but it deserved something better than the guitar condom it came with. The last gig bag I got that was decent enough to offer protection was with an Epi Flying V and it came in what they call an epi-lite case and it genuinely a marriage of a hard case and gig bag. I think the rule should be hard case for anything over a grand and gig bag for everything over $300 (but under 1000).
    Just one man's opinion.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  15. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

I was really upset when my Fender SRV Strat didnt come with a gig bag, i mean its a AUD$3,400+ guitar and it only came with a vintage deluxe hard case...i felt like starting a thread about it and rage posting :)

Heres my point: People expect way too much with instruments that are profit marginal

My previous guitars were all Classic Vibes, i knew without even looking that i wouldnt be getting any kind of case with them, and bought hard cases locally for $70 each before i went to pick the guitars up, and just got on with life...

bsman and Deafsoundguy like this.
  16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I thought it used to be fairly common for guitars to at least come with a gig bag. I did have one guitar that came with a hard shell case, my G&L USA Comanche that I bought in 2014.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  17. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talk Member

I think I'd rather the guitar did NOT come with a case or bag; I'd rather choose my own and NOT have to pay for whatever came with the guitar. Friend of mine got a fancy aluminum case with a recent Gibson. He realized that it would quickly become scratched and dented if he actually used it, so he put it into a cardboard box to save it for resale and picked up a soft case for the guitar.

I have a lot of LP-style guitars and I have cases that fit them, including Anvil-style airline-handling brutal cases and some Mono type soft cases for around town. The hard cases that came from Gibson are a recipe for a headstock break, so the guitars almost never travel in those.

catsandstrats and Deafsoundguy like this.
  18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

If he bought the guitar already worried about resale, why did he buy the guitar at all? I've never understood this. I never bought a guitar intending to sell, only when I truly don't get on with it do I move it.

CigBurn, Namelyguitar, Neil.C and 3 others like this.
  19. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talk Member

Or you could think of it this way, you were charged, the price just wasn’t broken out and itemized.
    When I bought my Reverend, I played it in the shop. After that experience and looking at the price I figured a Reverend case to hold it still made it a bargain.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  20. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

A big part of the problem is online sales.
    Even if you buy the guitar locally, there's not a lot of margin on that.
    When I worked at Radio Shack, the average margin was about 60%... but virtually none on advertised "sale" items, and only a very small margin... like 20%... on stereos, TVs, VCRs, etc....
    The markup was in the add-on items. The cables, the electronic components ($0.69 pack of resistors cost me $0.05).

So when you buy a guitar, the money isn't in the guitar. It's the "loss leader" to get you in the door. Like the $18,000 Corolla base model, that the dealer hits you with 10% APR financing.
    The picks, straps, cleaning solution, cloth, pedals, cables, shirts, hats.... That's where the money is... and you have to sell a LOT of it to pay the utilities.

So buying a guitar from "Mo's Music", but then buying all of your accessories on Amazon, is not doing Mo any favors.

stylemessiah and Deafsoundguy like this.