Not for nothing but.....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Heavyriff, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Senior Stratmaster

I reached out about a month ago that I was taking custody of my wifes daughters kid and it has been nothing but a disaster since. I could use some positive encouragement..

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Sorry to hear that you're paying a heavy price for doing the right thing.

I remember the original post but don't recall the exact circumstances. There area any number of ways a situation like that can go south, it's hard to know what to say, but hang in there and keep the best interests of the kid first and foremost in everything you do.

3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Life is hard - imagine how hard it is and will be for the child. Good luck in your endeavours and kudos for helping out.

s5tuart, 3bolt79, cranky and 2 others like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

That’s a tough one.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Situations like that are always a nightmare but you are doing the right thing.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

You're giving the boy a better life than what he had or what he was facing
    It ain't gonna be easy but you're definitely doing the right thing
    Keep up the good fight

Thrup'ny Bit and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Play the long game.

Use your village and all your resources. Keep the kid involved in activities and do what you can to surround him with positive people.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I understand the types of problems you are facing. I’ve been there. I got custody of my son, from his mother, when he was 5. I went through a lot of expense and heartache for over a year trying to get custody from her.

Basically a woman can do no wrong wrong enough to lose her kid. But my ex was so bad that I got him, which says how bad for my son she was.

Keep fighting the good fight. If the kid is in your custody, the kid’s mother must be a real POS. Good luck to you, and God bless you and yours.

9. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

My neighbour up the road is in a similar situation - except his Son and partner are both in gaol for addiction issues (heroin and associated crimes, some serious) So He's grandpa, and was literally a week into retirement when it happened.

Custody of. FIVE kids under 7 years age

He says, better to keep them under one roof than let them be split up and fostered.

I get his compassion, but it's one hell of a commitment.

I understand how you feel and why you are doing this. Let the kid know it's a clear choice...

Honesty and tough love are difficult, but necessary.

Don't regret the tough love when it's needed but make sure you are completely transparent - even at their young age.

3bolt79, Lanaka and cranky like this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Not the same situation, but I thank God for the man I call my son in law. He stepped up like a man to be daddy to our only grandbaby at the time .

dbb541 and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Whatever crap storm you have to go through just remember it’s for the kid. Always always always for the kid.

12. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

You are a wonderful and generous man . You will be rewarded. Startups are a tough time . Concentrate on the future . Five days , a month, yr, 5 yr. 10 yr. when the mind is stressed the thought process move into the amygdala center . Flight , fight, freeze. Get it back to the frontal where under happiness abounds by thinking , what will be like in 5, 10, etc. anyway that’s what the mind researchers advise. Being a front line guy most of my life. It works. Most of the time.

telepraise likes this.
  13. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Sorry to hear this Heavyriff. Sounds like it's been tough on you. That kid is really lucky you stepped up and, down the road, I'm guessing your life will be richer for your efforts.

This is more common than a lot of people realize. For the last decade of my elementary teaching career, I averaged 2-3 kids (out of 18) being raised by grandparents. Invariably, their mothers were drug addicts and/or incarcerated. Another 1-2 kids were in the midst of the divorce shredder.

Tough times for a lot of little people. The important thing to remember is that you're doing the best that you can for this kid and giving them the consistency, structure, and support they need. Their life would most certainly be much worse without you. Blessings to you, stay strong!

Bob the builder and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

It warms my heart that you guys will fight so hard for these precious children.

15. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talk Member

I don't know what you're going through but......hang in there.

16. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

God bless you .

17. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

You're doing the right thing. Make the kid the priority. Do everything you can for the kid. You can make a big difference for the better in someone's life now.

Bob the builder likes this.