Not listing prices....Grrr

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

I have two vintage guitar shops in my home town that don't show prices on their displayed instruments.

One even has the nerve to say, if you ask for a price, "what do you think it's worth?"

Then I see store listings in magazines - some have a bunch of stuff saying "enquire for price." Some have no prices, just "in stock now."

So what's the logic?

I for one, flat walk away from any shop that behaves like that. I don't enquire for price. I don't proffer an opinion of what I think it's worth.

I sense with my local shops that they size you up when you walk in the door by what you're wearing or what you appear to know about guitars.

Totally hate it! Just give me the price buddy!!

[​IMG]

Kester, Roca81, Believer7713 and 13 others like this.
  2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

I assume that the logic is that if you need to ask the price, you probably can't afford it. It's arrogant, stupid & elitist. And it's annoying - I'm with you all the way on this one

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

4. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Pet peeve of mine. When a store doesn't price things, I usually walk right back out the door.
    If you want to sell it, put a price on it. The "esoteric appeal" of no pricetag is far outweighed by
    how many potential customers you are straight up pissing off.

One other thing you can do, is walk in, when you have the time, call the clerk over, and ask
    "How much is this one ?" , And do it, for every item in the store.

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Some of you are talking about no price tickets on items in a shop. That's bad enough. But what used to amaze me (in the days before the interwebs) is when guitar shops took out full page ads in magazines, listed what they may or may not have had in stock, & then instructed you to phone them to find out the price.

Thank you but no - if you can't be bothered, neither can I...

cranky, Kester, Blackmore Fan and 3 others like this.
  6. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Exactly. What was the shop thinking as I phoned them? Would it be more expensive than I expected, or less expensive? Of course it would be more expensive. Much more expensive. And now they had me on the phone, they were about to justify that "more expensive" and some how bring me around...

Yeah, nah.

Blackmore Fan, Dibbs and Baelzebub like this.
  7. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

The correct answer would be: How about free?

Seriously, that is crap. They don't price their guitars, because they are hoping that uneducated buyers will offer more than the market value. I would be lowballing them to death.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  8. arct

arct Strat-Talker

Hang in there, they'll be sniffling and pouting like toddlers soon, unable to compete with "the big guys", then they'll be a memory.

rct

Dibbs likes this.
  9. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

You have two vintage guitar shops in your home town?

soulman969, Bazz Jass, Gevalt and 3 others like this.
  10. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

On a couple of buy/sell guitar groups on FB that I'm a member of, it's increasingly popular for vendors to put 'EOI' instead of a price. Along with some nauseating spiel about how this is the nicest strat/tele/LP they have ever played and they would be quite happy to keep it. At least one of the groups has now made it a rule banning EOIs - you're either selling or you ain't, and if you are, then put a bloody price on it.

The true idiots put 'EOI' and also a price!

Dibbs likes this.
  11. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talker

The classic retail rule is unpriced articles are overpriced in the mind of a customer and never sell. So no pricing is the dumbest of retail tactics.

12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I had a similar problem yesterday when I enquired after a bike for sale by phone. I asked (a dealer) what he required for me to test ride, and he replied "no test rides, sorry mate."

He then went on to explain how he didn't want to get "into it" if I crashed the bike, etc.

I asked how I was expected to find out if the clutch and gearbox were OK, and if the frame was straight, but he wouldn't budge. As if I'd spend 6 grand on a motorcycle without riding it?

I didn't bother to explain I'm 61, have been riding for 45 years and am an ex motorcycle journalist. He just lost a sale...

Dibbs and s5tuart like this.
  13. Ebidis

WTF is 'EOI'?

14. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I went into an extremely popular, leather be-decked American motorcycle dealership with cash in hand...to order the bike I wanted. After a brief discussion with the salesperson, I said "ok, how much will it be". He says "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", then stands there grinning. I waited...nothing. I waited a little more...awkward. So, I nodded and left. Never bought one...have had two nice Italian bikes since:thumb:.

15. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

I agree...enough with all the stinking abbreviations; we've got nothing but time these days, just spell it out.
    #Laziness

16. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talker

I had to look it up:

Expressions of Interest

A third option to selling is to invite offers to purchase by a specified time and date. This is typically called For Sale by Expressions of Interest (EOI).

NO THANKS!

stratocarlster likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Nope. If it doesn't have a price, I'm not interested.

18. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

You should ask them the price, strike a deal – tell them you're happy with the price... then – ask them to try and figure out your credit card number, one digit at a time – then, when you get to the final number, tell them you've changed your mind :) !?

19. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talker

And...It's not just limited to music stores. I find it increasingly frustrating to go into a grocery store...Hardware store...Department store...Shoe stores are really bad at this. Can't find a price! Something are priced, others not. Of course it's always the thing I'm interested in that doesn't have a price. ERRRRG.

Dibbs and JDug like this.
  20. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talker

They are just driving more and more people to buy online. Everything has a price there.

StratUp, Dibbs and West44th like this.