Not listing prices....Grrr

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Apr 3, 2021.

1. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

What is EOI?

2. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

EOI = expressions of interest
    Silly me, I assumed everyone knew. Must be more well-known in Australia. It's commonly used in the construction industry, typically on more complex projects that are time-consuming expensive to bid on, so a two-stage procurement process is used. In the first stage, contractors submit an EOI, then 2 or 3 are shortlisted to submit a detailed price. Sadly it seems a lot of wankers in Australia now think it means "I would like to sell my car/guitar/whatever and I want you to tell me what you are wiling to pay".

Believer7713 and Ebidis like this.
  3. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I flat walk away from vintage.
    But yes, the prices whatever they are, should be displayed

Ebidis likes this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

The correct answer is:

"Well, I thought it was worth asking, but apparently I was mistaken. Have a nice day."

Old Guy and Ebidis like this.
  5. Baelzebub

On the local CL there was a Squier, a case and a gig bag all listed separately. I emailed the seller and said what will you take for all of it. Didn't even get a reply. I don't get people who post stuff and then don't bother to respond to legitimate inquiries.

Believer7713 and Ebidis like this.
  6. stratfanGB

stratfanGB Strat-Talker

Expression...I can think of a few!

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  7. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

I have an opinion on this, but I'm not telling unless someone asks ... and even then, I'll only ask what you think my opinion is.

nutball73, Ruscio, West44th and 4 others like this.
  8. Baelzebub

Or when you walk in, ask, "If it doesn't have a price, it's free, right?"

9. JDug

JDug Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I’ve even seen that on new car ads.... really?

Just comes off as really dicky..... those d bags can keep the stuff they’re peddling.

10. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

People that expect you to negotiate are cutting out a lot of potential customers without realizing it. Half the world doesn't play that game. I would just leave the store and never go back. Same goes for someone on CL or Facebook Marketplace who posts an item and puts $1. If the seller is unwilling to post a price, they're either asking too much for it or they're just being ignorant. Either way I don't want to do business with them.

Gevalt, BigNorm and Bob the builder like this.
  11. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Hate to say it but I had a couple of amps up for sale on CL last summer and I ended up getting inundated by scammers and ridiculous low-ball offers. After following up on a dozen or so responses I gave up and stopped responding to people before I took down the ads a couple of weeks later.

The other possibility is that you're number 2 or 3 and they don't want to respond until number 1 didn't work out. I had a guy contact me a while ago like 2 months after I contacted him about a guitar. I told him I was no longer interested, but I didn't hold it against him.

I no longer sweat it if someone doesn't respond to my inquiries. They might be going through something similar.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

But some of those places won't even negotiate!

There's a guitar shop in Central London called Macaris, it's been there for decades. It's always worth looking in the window (as you pass by late at night) to see if they have anything interesting to look at. They often don't put prices on stuff, so I assumed that meant they were open to negotiation. Some years ago they had something I was interested in so I went in to discuss it & assumed we could negotiate on the price.

They weren't satisfied with just saying "no", they had to be bloody rude about it! Arrogant tossers... Thanks to that experience I wouldn't buy a string from Macaris even if they were the only guitar shop left in London...

13. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

This practice is still prevalent among 'old world' antique dealers. It's been a long time since I've seen the practice with fine and rare books. If a seller has a good book, it's usually priced appropriately, no matter how many digits that requires.

14. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

When you ask for a price and the sales associate responds, "What do you think it's worth?" why not just tell him or her how much that is?

And what's the big deal about no prices? Are you being made to shop in these machiavellian circumstances or did you enter the premises voluntarily?

TP

15. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

16. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I bought a car.
    Went to a dealership, looked and spoke to a sales rep. Couldn't get the price out of her. She had to check with her manager. I left.

Went to another dealership. Looked at the window sticker and then saw that each car had a different price tag on the windshield. I asked what that was. Sales rep said; "The Price."

I asked if he needed to speak to his manager. He said "no, that's the price, if you want the car I can help from start to finish."

I bought the car. Thought about driving by the other dealership and waving, but figured that poor girl had to put up with enough crap. Didn't need anymore.

eta:
    I learned a thing about mom and pop music stores selling used stuff. They'll often write the price they paid backwards on the back side of the price tag...so when dickering they don't have to go look it up.

17. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Bob from My-Home-Town-Vintage? Is that you??

stratocarlster likes this.
  18. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I worked for a totally unethical small business owner many years ago doing picture framing. By it's nature, you can't really put prices on the work until you do a lot of calculating. One of our store fronts had parking right in front of the sales counter and almost all our customers parked in those few spots. The owner of the store and a couple of his "trusted" employees based pricing on what kind of car the customer was driving.

Guitar boy likes this.
  19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I don't care for that practice either. I'll make a comment like "So...nothings for sale?" and leave.:whistling:

Lovnmesomestrat, Dibbs and Bazz Jass like this.
  20. Guitar boy

Guitar boy Strat-Talk Member

The no pricing for the instruments is actually illegal here in New York.
    The price fluctuates from person to person. I've seen this happen more times than you could possibly imagine. Especially in the used and vintage markets. You had better know what you're looking at before you buy. Ive known a bunch of people who have been taken advantage of. I told my wife I'd like to get a Black Les Paul Standard at the time they where going for $2299. So she went to a local guitar store and saw a brand new Black Standard and asked what the price was. The guy tells her $2899. She then asked how come the guitar was $600 above the $2299. The sale guy said to her "how do you know what this guitar costs" She told him I was a pro guitar player and she's bought me dozens of real deal high end guitars. guitars. So if something doesnt have a price on it make sure you know what you're getting in to or you may get royally screwed.