Not listing prices....Grrr

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

When I'm in a really snakish mood, I'll ask the clerk "Why is this so overpriced ?" Then the clerk either has to come up with a reasonable price, or explain why the item is overpriced, which puts them on a very weak bargaining position.

... all of which they could have , of course, avoided, if they just put a price on the friggin' thing, to begin with.

StummerJoe likes this.
  2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I like it!:thumb:

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Did she press him for an explanation of why he had tried to charge her $600 more than anyone else? It would have been interesting to hear his excuse.

4. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If it doesn’t have a price it’s either going for free, or not for sale.

Ebidis likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Generally goods in shops here are supposed to be priced, including taxes. They don't necessarily have to be sold for the marked price though.

I hope that clears that up. :D

perttime and Ebidis like this.
  6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I just had that happen to me. I sent the guy 2 messages both saying I was really interested in the guitar he was selling. I got crickets in return.
    Answer your dadblaimed messages butthole!!!
    That what I wanted to send for the 3rd message. Instead, I just sent him a message saying,"You lost the sale. Have a nice day."

Baelzebub likes this.
  7. Guitar boy

Guitar boy Strat-Talk Member

No, she didn't. But I went back there played for about 20 minutes and asked the guy the price. He told me $2299. Then all 6'2' 225lbs of me jumped outta the chair, got in his face and yelled
    "well why did you tell my wife $2899". I thought this young cocky sales guy was going to have a heart attack! And believe me I am not a bully or an instigator. But price gouging my wife, well that's a no, no.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  8. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

"What do I think it's worth? $8. But you probably want at least twenty".

9. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

It has been a few decades since I bought a new guitar from a shop. Back then, a discount when paying cash was pretty standard procedure, even without asking.

I suppose guitar and music shops in my corner of the world don't have anything expensive enough for "If you have to ask, you cannot afford it".

Some custom builders and luthiers don't have any published pricing but most have something like: bolt neck electrics starting from €1500, glue neck electrics starting from €xxxx, acoustic guitars starting from €yyyy. One who doesn't publish pricing gave me a starting price on FB, when I said I'm curious. It was well over my comfort zone.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

If you're selling something the first offer is always made by the seller in the form of a listed price. It's been that way forever.

Anything else is just trying to be "cute" or the seller believes they're being crafty when what they're doing is pissing off buyers.

11. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Macari's has always been like that. As a teenager I used to go in and be consistently ignored, no matter what I asked.

Went in there a few years ago (in my late 50s) and the manager (I assume it wasn't Lou any more) totally ignored me again. He seemed much more interested in talking to one of his mates than actually selling a guitar.

It may be me, but one if the things they do is put all the expensive and vintage instruments in a certain place in the shop, and if they see you looking at the cheap ones they assume you don't know anything...that's my theory anyway!