Not So Black Strat... Gilmour(ish)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by problem-child, Jun 29, 2020.

1. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

I did this a year or maybe two ago. I have always loved this 1979 Anniversary Stratocaster, but I never quite loved the original pickups. Not that they were bad, but I just felt something different was in order.

I bought the loaded 920D Gilmour pick guard. This is the older style with the Fat 50s neck pickup and the 69 in the middle with the ssl-5 in the bridge. The recent ones are the ssl-1 and ssl-5 combo I believe.

I, of course, kept the original pick guard, desoldered only at the input jack.

Anyway this is a fun set up and provides a wide pallet of available sounds. I can find the Gilmour vibe without rocking the whole "Black Strat" fan boy look. I don't have the skill set to pull that off anyway...

I guess I could have wiped down the guitar before taking pics. Oh well, forgive the dirt and DNA.

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Here is a before pic

DSC_0295.jpg

zzan252163b.jpg

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Strat-Talker

That's pretty sexy man.

problem-child likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

was always a fan of the Anniversary Strats.. and Antiguas. Bold and beautiful. 1979 was a very visually creative year for Strats.

problem-child likes this.