Not sure what to get?!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jonathanbarton9, Feb 14, 2020.

1. jonathanbarton9

jonathanbarton9 Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys,
    I am LOVING all the info and learning about these guitars. BUT I have no idea what to get. As far as budget goes, i can’t afford anything much more than $500 right now and that sucks bawlz because the tone of some of these guitars are to die for. As far as experience goes, I played acoustic for nearly 20 years before expanding to electric and it took me over a year to realize I was fretting the strings too hard which is why I couldn’t keep the dang thing in tune ‍♂️
    My first “strat” was a red and black sunburst Samick that was given to me by my brother in law and I took it completely apart, sanded it down, and painted it blue. I wish I would’ve taken pictures but this was almost 10 years ago and I didn’t know better. From what I can remember, it was a mohogany body with a thin maple top (I only knew this because I worked in a cabinet shop at the time and knew a decent bit about wood lol) I’ve done a bit of luthier work as a hobby but not major stuff.

Until this year, that has been my only electric guitar. My only other is a Gretsch streamliner hollowbody with a centerblock and I’ve just expanded into my pedalboard as well. All this to say, I’m fairly new with the electric stuff but not new to the instrument :)

I’ve been shopping for a new strat because I really love the Stratocaster and I’m super stoked to get my first legit Fender but I don’t know if I should go Squier or MIM or MIJ or save for a more expensive American strat. Tone and neck feel are very important to me and I love the clear finishes.

what route do you guys think I should go?!?

2. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Glad you’re getting a Strat , best guitar in the world. Quite a few members rave a about the players strat , I’m sure some will tell you about theirs .

3. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

I suggest going with a decent MIM model... affordable and well made.. play nice...

Tone Deaf, jvin248, TIMB and 3 others like this.
  4. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

I say mim classic player series 60s fantastic guitars imo, or a squire classic vibe are also excellent.

5. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

Tone Deaf, TIMB, Martin Mim and 2 others like this.
  6. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Hi and welcome to strat-talk I think musicians friend has a couple of nice player strats for 549 Screenshot_2020-02-14-16-42-38.png Screenshot_2020-02-14-16-43-37.png

7. jonathanbarton9

jonathanbarton9 Strat-Talk Member

That Samick I had was an ls-11. Actually feels nice to play. The mohogany makes it quite heavy but is supposed to be good for tone...Anyone have experience with those guitars?

8. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

You could go the cheapest route and buy a used Fender. It would probably be a MIM at that price point. Ideally something local to save yourself $80+ in shipping, and then you can play it (inspect it) before you buy.

But if you can’t find a good local deal, or you don’t like the selection, I’d buy new. Personally I love Sweetwater since they offer a 3 month payment plan with no credit check. And then I know the guitar is under warranty if something is messed up. But I would still just get a MIM because they’re amazing and less expensive. Plus then you get to shop for the perfect color/features/ect...

Also, Squiers are certainly the best bang for your buck as far as Strats go. I absolutely would not hesitate to buy a strat I liked because it reads Squier on the headstock. If you go this route I’d recommend a Classic Vibe. Anderson’s Youtube channel has some great blindfold challenges with Fenders and Squiers. I believe those reviews are authentic.

Furthermore, you don’t mention what type of amp you have but that’s truly where most of your “tone” comes from. General rule would be to spend more on your first real amp than on your first real electric guitar. So if you don’t have a nice amp I’d go to Sweetwater and buy a Katana 50 and a Squier Classic Vibe. $630+tax+$10 charge=under $700. So like $230/month for the next 3 months.
    Lastly, Katana came out with new models (Mark 2) very recently. The used market for the older style Katana is about $80 cheaper than new.

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

If you ask 100 people you'll get 150 different answers.
    Go try as many as you can. It's fun anyway.
    Once you know what you like...look used & save a few $$

10. Caddy

Caddy Strat-Talker

I got my Fender Players Series Plus Top aged cherry burst Strat just last month, new for $500 from Sam Ash through Reverb. It was listed as used/mint but came in a still sealed, unopened Fender factory box. Brand new never opened. Love the guitar!

11. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I have a MIM Strat and a MIJ Strat... both I purchased used for about $300... both are amazing guitars.. I play the MIM for every single show

93-Strat and Martin Mim like this.
  12. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The most important thing is the neck feel. I strongly suggest you try squier classic vibes and vintage modified as well as a Mexican standard. Whichever is more comfortable is the one to buy.

13. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-O-Master

You can find a lot for $500. Stalk the used market and sales like the above suggested links and pics. Guitar Center Used is a good place to window shop. And if you find something you like, you have the benefit of a lenient return policy and brick and mortars near most cities.

Martin Mim likes this.
  14. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Do you have many shops near you? Go try every Strat in your price range, ignoring what it says on the headstock. Bring a polish cloth and wipe the shop grime off the strings and the back of the neck. So many guitars get a pass just because of crud on them from careless KFC fingers and lazy employees.

One or more will surely stand out to you and just feel and sound right.

Once you do that, make up your mind whether ordering the same model there or online is worth the risk that it might not feel the same. It may be wise to just buy that one. At least you will be ordering from an informed position if you don’t.

You could also look for the same model used locally, where you could try it out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Martin Mim likes this.
  15. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

All here have their favorites. I think a lot of it is what genre they like. I could be wrong. I always wanted an American Standard. I felt that that was guitar to compare everything else to. Along the way I realized how important the neck was. How it fir or didn't. I got a nice 2010 AS here but realized I liked the Squier CV necks a bit more. So sold that and bought a nice cherry CV 60s sunburst. Now I should update my avatar to reflect my 3 CVs.
    For you there's so much out there use or new. You might think about playing whatever you get before hand.Then go used.

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

$500 is s tricky price range for Fenders, since you can’t really get a new one anywhere close to that price, except for the occasional sale - and most of those would be mail order so you can’t really try them first (although they may have a return policy).

So you’re left with either a used Fender or a new Squier if you can try them locally.

dirocyn and Martin Mim like this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Go on your local craigslist and make a bookmark to find Fender Mexico or MIM and hit that bookmark a couple times a day. You'll find one. Or do the pawn shop tour.

Are you anticipating using the whammy bar? If not, either block the trem or ... find a Tele. I find I get distracted messing with the trem so I just block 'em. More tuning stability. Eric Clapton approves.

While you are looking for a guitar, find a Peavey Bandit, or one of these other amps used. I find it's more important to find an amp that gives you a solid clean channel than anything else. You'll add pedals/etc to it. Most review complaints focus around the distortion channels and if you are using pedals you don't really care. So buy clean and buy cheap.

For example, here is an amp set up to play clean, and all the tones from this $30 Joyo American Sound pedal.
    Or stacking pedals to get some tones (second video is using the Joyo as a cab sim to go direct to recording, some use this pedal to go direct to a bar PA system without an amp involved).

Now ... you may want to investigate a couple of other guitar options. Poke around Thomann US for their Harley Benton brand of guitars. Very good deals. Very well constructed.

A popular inexpensive guitar brand lately is the Glarry brand. Strat for $65 including shipping that is surprising many youtube reviewers and players with how good they play. They will need setup to your playing style but these are pretty good. I hear the bass forums are "going out of their minds" the Glarry bass guitars are so good for the money.

jonathanbarton9 likes this.
  18. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

After you get your guitar, look on the internet for this book by one of our members

Setting up your Guitar To Professional Standards
    By
    Ron Kirn

Everything you need to know to Set up you guitar
    The way you have always wanted

A “How To” manual

Copyright © 2006 by Ron Kirn All rights reserved Printed in the USA

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    jonathanbarton9 likes this.
  19. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

I'll echo some previous comments: Fender Player Series is serious bang for the buck. I currently have a few American made strats and just picked up a Player Series. I'm very impressed with it.