Not what you call a Go-Go's fan but

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
They were clearly pop but what catchy pop it was. Who hasn't had Vacation as an earworm? I don't think I owned any of their albums but the stuff that made the airwave? Yeah, I liked it even if at the time I'd never admit it. :D

hrstrat57

Strat-Talker
Jun 11, 2016
RI
Great band in their prime.

K Valentine talent in particular is immense. Just came out with a book looking forward to reading it.

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
I think I caught the end of the same documentary... is it in there that they covered the inner battles that the band had for a while and how it turned from making music together to just going and play your part... or something of that nature...

Whitster

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 27, 2021
Seattle area
I like when people say stuff like 'they were clearly pop.BUT' (I've seen it on a trillion threads here and elsewhere )

A lot of pop is crap but so is a lot of NOT pop.

Imo whether something is pop is largely unrelated to its awesomeness

Go Go's are awesome btw

They started out punk - their contemporaries and my favorite band X stayed (large!y) punk and Go Go's capitalized on their cute, the all female thing (the Runaways opened that door big-time just a year or two before ) , their really awesome songwriting and their tight song above everything else punk ethos and translated it into pop

Imo our lips are sealed Is easily one of the best pop.songs of the 80's... I cannot love a song more

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I always listened to their first couple of albums, but after that it seemed that they changed and weren’t as great as before. I love the bass in Our Lips Are Sealed.

monte merrick

Most Honored Senior Member
I watched a pretty good documentary on Showtime about the band and they were the real deal, those girls had talent and worked hard for their success. Never too late to learn something new.
i am a Go-gos fan... since day one... but then again, my tastes run to the 'if it grooves, if it moves, and if the kids or the octegenarians playing it are sincere, i'm in' school. especially back in the days of power pop.

Last edited:

Straticus

Strat-Talker
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
I was narrow minded when they got popular. They weren’t Rock and Roll enough for me. Now I listen to their songs and am blown away by how good they are.
Glad I am able to appreciate different music these days. Trying to play and record has given me a much needed dose of humility. The Go Go’s were the real deal.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
We covered "We Got The Beat" in the last band I was in (playing bass) 21+ years ago. Easily learned for most everyone, a quick way to fatten up the playlist.

I say nearly everyone, the early 30s drummer could not replicate the tom pounding of the original. We never let him off for that - in the kindest sort of way. We sometimes referred to him as "Frail Tim'. He was a cool guy and just rolled with it.

LaughCryL.gif