Not what you call a Go-Go's fan but

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Sep 20, 2021.

1. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

oops. Dupe

2. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Try them with this version

Sparque likes this.
  3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Was comical to hear our rendition towards the end when the lyrics were something like: "round and round and round and WOOOO!" Sung like girls, by guys. I did not have a mic. They asked me to sing some back up early on. I did and it was never discussed again.

We were farting around one day and someone got the bright dumb idea to try Don McClean - American Pie. I had the lyrics in me head for many years and tried to sing lead. It was quite bad. Was fun though...

Miotch, Mansonienne and of this world like this.
  4. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

They often lean toward pop, but they're an honest to god rock band. I listen to their live stuff and hear the punk roots in it. Like @heltershelton said, early on they were as punk as you could get along with a sex, drugs, and rock and roll lifestyle. Belinda Carlisle said that they did so much stupid, risky stuff that they should all be dead several times over.

Gina Shock is the best rock drummer I can think of. She's got taste, control, and real power. She's the driver of that band and makes sure the whole groove doesn't get too poppy. She was 64 this year, is busy with many projects, and is still an absolutely badass drummer.

The best intro to the Go Gos is a 2001 Central Park NYC gig. Here's the whole 1 hour and 6 minutes. It's worth your time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Mansonienne and heltershelton like this.
  5. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    Mine too, I always enjoyed playing that one with my band. We did "We Got The Beat" also. We have a different singer now, and those are not in her vocal range. She has a much deeper voice.

Mansonienne likes this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

I want her so bad.....:sneaky:

That old Buick I mean. :D

7. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

Yea . X is my favorite band and the punk go gos X etc were all part of the LA punk scene. Belinda and Exene are still friends

While I like various forms of punk - hardcore , the political stuff, etc I’ve always been a huge Ramones fan and that tight , don’t take ourselves too seriously, heavily pop influenced style of punk is awesome... Go Go’s always had that great pop punk sensibility

And they were SOLID live

Great show

Mansonienne likes this.
  8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I liked the gals back in the day . None of my friends did ,but along came my wife and she liked about anything ;)

This was a hit too.

Mansonienne likes this.
  9. PurpleHaze74

PurpleHaze74 Strat-Talk Member

I agree. I watched that documentary a few months ago and was completely mind blown at what they went through professionally and personally during their first few albums and tours. It was really one of the more fascinating documentaries I've watched in recent years. Huge kudos to them for surviving all that chaos and getting to the R&R HOF. It's quite an amazing story honestly.

Miotch and Mansonienne like this.
  10. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Generation gap I guess.

11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I liked them enough to buy their first album (I think it was). But I never knew any of this. I'll have to read up and watch that documentary.