NPD! But they forgot to put it together first...

Stratoholic

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 30, 2010
somewhere
As some may have seen I decided to try my hand at building pedal, so I got a kit, I ordered a Thunderdrive from Mod kits DIY. Well, it came in today. I built it, and it actually works, and I didn't burn my fingers! It is a very simple pedal, it took me maybe 45 minutes to build, and most of that was making the wiring as neat as possible, not wiring the components to the terminal strip, that took like 10 minutes.

And it actually sounds pretty good, sounds beastly through my marshall, makes my Hotone Purple Wind sound more like a Marshall, and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

It did come with wire, but I used some old cloth covered wire I had, I stripped the outer layer of the cloth off so it would look neater, and I used a couple of old Blackstar knobs because I broke one of the knobs it came with, they also made a little mistake with the sticker. It's not a Thunderdrive Deluxe, it's just a Thunderdrive, but that makes it rare right? Anyway pics or it didn't happen:
1211161657_HDR1.jpg
1211161658_HDR1.jpg

Yeah, it's literally 2 250k pots, 2 jacks, a switch, battery clip, 2 caps, 2 resistors, 2 diodes, and a transistor.

Raiders757

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 2, 2016
Virginia
F'ing awesome!I have mentioned it before on these forums that I want to get into this sort of thing. This would be a great (basic)way to start. Although I would have to pay extra for the (v adapter, so I could hook it up without a battery. Nice job!!

Steve112

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2013
Abbotsford, Canada
Good job, Sratoholic. Simplicity by design, didn't realize so few parts were necessary. I'm assuming that it's more distortion than od, and good that it enhances that beautiful Marshall gain and sustain.

Stratoholic

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 30, 2010
somewhere
F'ing awesome!I have mentioned it before on these forums that I want to get into this sort of thing. This would be a great (basic)way to start. Although I would have to pay extra for the (v adapter, so I could hook it up without a battery. Nice job!!

You should try, it was fun and easy to build, I mean if you can solder and follow directions, you can build something like that, and it's inexpensive. it was like 26 bucks. Most of that price is the housing and the printed materials, probably $3 worth of parts.

Good job, Sratoholic. Simplicity by design, didn't realize so few parts were necessary. I'm assuming that it's more distortion than od, and good that it enhances that beautiful Marshall gain and sustain.

It's in the OD territory, but does make a good bit of gain though. Kind of acts like most fuzz pedals, turn the guitar volume below 7, and it's pretty clean, even with the pedal all the way up, it also doesn't like my wah, just like most fuzz pedals.

Jimi Lightning

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 21, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Stratoholic- What cabinet are you running the Hotone Purple wind through with this interesting pedal to get the Marshsall sound you were looking for.
Curious as the pedal interests me and I have the Purple Wind but am running the Hotone small cabinet.