Join Strat-Talk Today

NPD - EHX Crayon 69 vs 76

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by gjohnson441496, Nov 6, 2019.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

I've been using my TC Electronics MojoMojo pedals, one as a clean boost the other cranked up. Put the WH Red Llama between and after the Mojo's but couldn't seem to control it... It's hairy and it makes my whole system hairy. Found myself constantly twiddling the knobs. So I decided to put it first in the chain and use it as a clean boost but even on the lowest setting it's just too much OD so I took it out. The Mojo's work well together so I began a search (on this forum and others) for a clean boost pedal that's not mid focused and does not color my tone AND doesn't interfere with my current setup. So i called around for the EHX Crayon.

Nashville New & Used had one. Those guys know their stuff, no bull, and they always have great equipment at reasonable prices. Anyway, I ask Paul for the Crayon and he ask me which one would I like? The one that's Vox oriented or the one that's more Marshall like? I didn't know there was a difference and web searches all claim they're the same just in different boxes. This doesn't make any sense to me. Black box/white box 76/69 if there's no difference why the inconsistent packaging? Anyway, I bought the 76 because the Marshall sound is not my cup of tea.

So far this pedal is working just as I want it to. I've bought and traded so many pedals since I started playing guitar I'm beginning to lose faith in any of them... Except the TC Electronics MojoMojo, the JHS/EHX Moon Pi, and the EHX Memory Toy.

2. funkysoul

funkysoul Strat-Talker

i had one.didn't like it sold it.but as far as i was searching reviews for it both was the same

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  3. gjohnson441496

I think I can understand why you didn't like it. If I may guess, you're probably fond of Tube Screamer type pedals. Tube Screamers and TS clones don't work well with my rig which caused me to wonder why everyone else praised them. It's the "mid forward" sound. I'm still discovering how the whole system works, that is amps, pedals, guitars, pickups, tubes, speakers etc. It's a fascinating hobby.

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Its not a TS type pedal.

Its a ColorSound Overdriver clone.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  5. gjohnson441496

I know it's not a TS type pedal. That's why I like it. ;)

The-Kid likes this.
  6. gjohnson441496

Thanks for the reference though. The Colorsound Overdriver is interesting. A quick search finds it expensive. I like the tone it delivers.

The-Kid likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.