NPD (forgive me forum for I have sinned) UPDATED

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
This came a few days ago and I haven't had a chance to try it out. But it looks cool so that should count.

Bought the really big red Dunlop fuzz but didn't like it so I exchanged it for this (Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies fuzz)

No, not a JH fanboy, it was just a roll of the dice choice. Not sure if its geranium or silicone. Could be unobtanium for all I know.

So for now my review is this: it's small, red and has cool white knobs.

FUZZ.jpg

Ok I gave it a spin and compared it to the blue mini fuzz face.

Like @Stratoskater said it’s loud! Lots of useable sweep with the volume knob. Same with the fuzz knob, crank it all the way and even with the guitar volume on 10 it’s not over the top, sounds good with the neck pickup. I’m primarily a neck p/u user but this pedal really made me happy on the bridge. Cleans up nicely with the guitar volume knob btw.

Overall I find it to have a variety of tones and sounds pretty darn good. A keeper for sure.

Last edited:

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Let us know what you think of it Ant.

Well it sounded pretty good on youtube. I finally figured out that I can get youtube on my tv which is hooked up to my stereo so with 5 speakers blasting I can get a bit of a better perspective than through small computer speakers. But the final like it or not like it will happen when I actually plug it into an amp.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Enjoy man. If its not to your liking check out the Big Jimi version or the Blue Silicon mini but these are pretty solid and should cut in more vs the germanium Fuzz Faces.

Also these should have a trim pot on the inside. Definitely fiddle with it and dial it in for best results.

Cheers and congrats!!!

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Enjoy man. If its not to your liking check out the Big Jimi version or the Blue Silicon mini but these are pretty solid and should cut in more vs the germanium Fuzz Faces.

Also these should have a trim pot on the inside. Definitely fiddle with it and dial it in for best results.

Cheers and congrats!!!

What does the trim pot do?

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
Well it sounded pretty good on youtube. I finally figured out that I can get youtube on my tv which is hooked up to my stereo so with 5 speakers blasting I can get a bit of a better perspective than through small computer speakers. But the final like it or not like it will happen when I actually plug it into an amp.
Good idea, i keep forgetting to do that with my tv.

Middle Earth

Strat-Talker
May 12, 2021
Middle Earth
20210607_172943.jpg
This came a few days ago and I haven't had a chance to try it out. But it looks cool so that should count.

Bought the really big red Dunlop fuzz but didn't like it so I exchanged it for this (Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies fuzz)

No, not a JH fanboy, it was just a roll of the dice choice. Not sure if its geranium or silicone. Could be unobtanium for all I know.

So for now my review is this: it's small, red and has cool white knobs.

View attachment 485305
I have sinned too. This is the "dirty channel" of my small 6V6 combo. When you live in a condo, a Dirty Shirley stack is out of the question. Happy NPD!.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
What does the trim pot do?
It messes with the voltage that the transistors are being fed.

So you get different tonality depending on how much voltage your feeding the transistors.

All the way counter clock wise its being fed nothing or pretty much starved, full clock wise is the full 9 volts.

I think they are set at 4.5 somewhere in the exact middle so that would be like 4.5 volts. A little bit hotter usually is a sweet spot and I like mine at in between 7.5 and 7.8 volts right before 8 but I have a blue mini so not sure you may just want to give it a bit more voltage or keep as is if it has the trim pot.

Just set it and forget it once you find the sweet spot for best results if it comes with the trim pot and your good to go.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
It messes with the voltage that the transistors are being fed.

So you get different tonality depending on how much voltage your feeding the transistors.

All the way counter clock wise its being fed nothing or pretty much starved, full clock wise is the full 9 volts.

I think they are set at 4.5 somewhere in the exact middle so that would be like 4.5 volts. A little bit hotter usually is a sweet spot and I like mine at in between 7.5 and 7.8 volts right before 8 but I have a blue mini so not sure you may just want to give it a bit more voltage or keep as is if it has the trim pot.

Just set it and forget it once you find the sweet spot for best results if it comes with the trim pot and your good to go.

Just took a peek and no trim pot, maybe not all of them has one ? In a way it’s a relief, one less thing to OCD fiddle with.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Just took a peek and no trim pot, maybe not all of them has one ? In a way it’s a relief, one less thing to OCD fiddle with.

All the Mini Fuzz Face versions come with one but not on these bad boys it seems.

Yeah I guess its on the mini straight up Fuzz Face models only like the blue, red and Jimi mini but either way these should be dialed in out of the box if so and should be good to go.

Either way happy new pedal day, looks killer and enjoy good sir!!!

Last edited: