NPD mccon-o-wah bell tone review

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Belltonenblues84, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Howdy folks another review for a guitar and pickups i finally got out of the shop. They're the mccon-a-wah bell tone pickups that's been installed in my 1990 MIJ fender stratocaster st500VR i got like 2 & half months ago.

Now mccon-a-wah is primarily known for really good wah pedals. But apparently they made pickups for Tommy katana and greg koch and others. These are modeled after those legendary slab board 59 to 62 strats and honestly it couldn't be more spot on in description having played at least 7 of them at Chicago music exchange over the years.

Gear used in demo
    1990 MIJ fender stratocaster in Sherwood green metallic. 5 Raw vintage springs, decked tremolo, callaham full steel block and .1uf ceramic disk capacitor.
    2006 fender bassman ltd that's been PTP and completely rebuilt. All EQ at 12 except the volume which for this demo is at 5.

The name of the pickups is BELL TONE n that's exactly what they are VERY BELL. There's a hint of sparkle but nice hefty depth n compression in all the notes. Clear, chimey but also warm. There's no ice pick to any position. In the neck there's a nice articulate upper mids that i particularly like sounds great. On all my 12 strats i lower the middle pickup until it's almost at the guard which greatly enhances the quack of position 2 and 4. And in both positions you get those quintessential SRV, buddy guy, Hendrix, Robert cray, sultan of swing type tones . Which alotta ppl tend to think is scooped sounding, not at all. The mids are still evident especially when cranking the volume and during solos. But pretty and chimey while playing chords like you see in the video below. The middle pickup sounds fat with a bit of hollow midrange honk to it, i absolutely love it and over the years the middle position is becoming one of my favorite sounds on a strat. The bridge is toothy and biting. Great for screening leads when you're trying to make a statements during a solo. Overall i give this set of pickups a 9 out of 10. My guitar tech loves this guitar n played it everyday before i came to pick it up Haha. I can't find any flaws in the sound i really can't find any complaints about it. These is very damn good and to my ears give me very close pre cbs. Here's how they sound.

2. folkplayer

folkplayer Strat-Talk Member

Dude it’s almost been a year, but I just wanted to say this sounds amazing. I came across this post looking for a sound clip of these pickups. Still enjoying them?

3. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Of course I still enjoy these pickups. Thank you for the compliment. These are just a joy to play.

Impulsive guppy and Bakelite1 like this.
  4. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

Really nice! It reminds me of the first time I heard Lawrence pickups.

Impulsive guppy likes this.