NPGD for Tone Chasers!!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Believer7713, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

New (Modular) Pickguards Day!!!
    I came across these really cool modular pickguards from Atheris Innovations and had to give them a try. What is a modular pickguard you might ask??? Well it is a really cool setup that makes one guitar into several within minutes between songs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Say you like playing the same guitar or only have room for one guitar but you want several tones from that one guitar...well I just decided to show it this way instead of trying to explain it in text. It may be a little long and the playing may not be the greatest but I have three different setups in it so it gets the point across. I can change this one guitar from an active EMG p'up set to a vintage voiced single coil set to an SSL-2 SSL-5 set within minutes each time. It is already one of my favorite strats to play but when I can change it and still keep the same feel in my hands...well That is Just money to me.
    Disclaimer: I do not work for them. I just really like this setup and wanted to let you guys see how it works.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Dibbs, CyFan4036, Bladesg and 5 others like this.
  2. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

Pretty cool.... the things we do for tone lol

Dibbs, Stephen James and Believer7713 like this.
  3. Believer7713

@Andrew Wasson I thought you would appreciate these.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

And you were right! I’m just watching the video now but I get it. This is cool.

Stephen James and Believer7713 like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

6. Andrew Wasson

Better just keep this under wraps. Somebody might the idea that we only need one good guitar and a bunch of modular pick guards. I’m not sure what the walls would look like without guitars in them. Would I need to put up pictures?

EDIT: I’m just over at his website. I have a guitar that is curiously similar to Greg’s and oddly enough I was planning on a pickup, pickguard swap. Now I’m thinking that this would be a fantastic upgrade. I could go from Classic SSS to my custom Rail SSS to a HSS in a matter of moments.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Believer7713 and Stephen James like this.
  7. Believer7713

It really is a cool concept. I am really digging on the setups that I have and am working on a couple pickguards for another guitar.
    As far as only needing one guitar with many guards...HOGWASH! I do, however, keep all of my modular PGs in a box that's easily accessible.

Stephen James and Andrew Wasson like this.
  8. Andrew Wasson

Ok... Wake up! Time to shake this thread up a bit :D

I got my Atheris Innovations pickguards at the end of last year and finally... Finally got to play with them today. So cool!

I actually swapped a set of pickups on the Squier Series Strat without even detuning. I don't recommend it but I was able to do it while being reasonably careful.

At the moment I have a Dimarzio Chopper T, telecaster pickup in the bridge with these phenomenal Bootstrap Vintage 54 Pro single coil middle and neck pickups. Because the system is modular, I was able to A/B the setup with 500k pot and 250k pots in all of a couple of minutes to swap. Definitely with the Chopper and single coils 250k is the way to go but I have a H/S/S pickguard to use with the 500k controls and it was cool to do the quick A/B test.

This is a really cool setup. My strat is so much more flexible. I have a H/H pickguard to try and a H/S/S to do as well. Really cool stuff and a breeze to work with. Thanks for the heads up @Believer7713

Oh... A photo of course

IMG_5514.jpg

Here's the H/S/S ready to go with the Bootstraps and a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon. It's probably my favourite humbucker. Sweet but can push when needed.

IMG_5511.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Very cool - I need to check that site out

10. Believer7713

You can also contact @Stephen James. He is a vendor member here and owns the company.

11. Believer7713

Dude, I really like that all blacked out look. Makes me want to put black plastics on mine.

Andrew Wasson and Stephen James like this.
  12. Andrew Wasson

I don’t recall where I saw a blacked out Strat. Either here or TDPRI and I thought it looked really cool. I do like the classic parchment as well but I’m really drawn the completely blacked out look. I think I’ll switch out the bridge plate for a black chromed one. Perhaps I’ll go with that one you recommended a while back. I think it was a Babicz bridge.

The control’s on the Atheris Innovations are quite easy to modify as well. I like to run the rear tone control on the bridge pickup and leave the middle pickup open. That was easily achieved by moving one wire on a 3 connector plug. I imagine it would be just as easy to change from the standard Strat tone scheme to the Gibson 50’s scheme, one you’ve got a good understanding of the modular 5 way switch.

13. Believer7713

For mine I used the black Babicz saddles and I thought it gave a really cool effect to leave the silver bridge plate to match the silver jack boat.

14. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Nice idea like it ,very useful for studio work no need to turn up with multiple guitars just your favourite strat and swap bits out quickly . Nice strats guys as well:thumb:

15. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The all black with the maple is stunning. I love it.

16. Believer7713

Ok Andrew, I gotta say that as much as I am flattered how you are trying to copy my guitar [emoji2962][emoji41][emoji6][emoji57][emoji450][emoji445][emoji444], which looks great! BtW I have area rug envy more than anything. Lol

17. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Strat-O-Master

Very interesting concept. I would have liked to hear it played clean or with a low gain setting.

18. Believer7713

I can try to get another demo with a lower setting done this week. All of my guitars will clean up well like any other.

Stephen James likes this.
  19. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Where can you buy these pickguards? The website seems to only have pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. Stephen James

Stephen James Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Hi @fmunoz , I make them to order right now, but we don't have an online form at the moment. I have found that many people want something slightly different than the standard PG which makes it complicated for me to check available stock, quote prices, fulfill reasonable delivery times with a form. On the other hand, we can be very flexible and do just about any strat pickguard layout or wiring.

We are planning to move to an online form soon, but for now just PM me if you are interested and we'll go from there (or go through the contact on the website)..

Andrew Wasson and Believer7713 like this.