Nut repair ?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by nosmo, Aug 28, 2021.

1. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

I've done that many times, not always as neat as I should have been...but it works great for a reasonable amount of time. Just put a bone nut on my SG Special, original nut needed super glue fixes a few times....I decided to finally just do it right and it works great. And yeah...there is some glue mess on it, but not bad. But this is my #1 on the stand play every day guitar....not about looks on this one!

2. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

Use blue tape on top and bottom of nut and some vaseline on the tape to block it from sticking to badly.

3. myfriendjoe

myfriendjoe Strat-Talk Member

That's a great answer, I also recommend Tusq nuts from Graphtech, they never need lubrication. Made from a graphite impregnated material that is consistent density throughout. The nut is (most likely) something you'd replace on a new Squire anyway, and imo, Tusq is the way to go.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  4. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

fix it with dust and glue. or just put a piece of cigarette paper in the slot to raise it a tad.

5. nosmo

nosmo Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Finally....a good reason to take up smoking!

6. nosmo

nosmo Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Well, I finally got around to trying the magic dust (baking soda) and glue today. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!! No more buzzing, and I'll have to go through the whole set-up again, which is good practice. I know it will be temporary, but it proved out my theory of the nut slots being too low. Now I know fer sure it's the nut, I'll get a good Tusq when the magic dust wears out.

Learning cheap tricks like this is what makes this forum great. Thanks to all!

7. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

Good for you! It feels good to do things for yourself sometimes. That trick has saved me many times, it might last a few years of you're lucky.