Join Strat-Talk Today

Odd one but I think its real?.

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Stratwrangler, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-O-Master

Oh yeah will always be a parts caster I know that but I will say now I offered him what to me is 1800 gbp so shipped would be around 2k if he accepted my offer.
    Worse case I reason is if neck is shot let's say I can still do everything over time and still only be in for less than 5 for my own dream guitar . It wouldn't bother me being a refin or having had neck work etc .
    Some of the best strats have been parts casters , Rory's , stevie rays , Gilmour, blackie o that really dont bother me. Heck my old mans strat is a 59 body and electrics with a 62 neck and that thing screams and is hard to put down.

McPhaul and Mipstoo like this.
  2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

The electronics look okay to me....

The body is obviously depleted of a lot of wood - as well as the stash cavity, under the guard is majorly routed. If I was turning it into a player, I'd replace all the missing wood and go solid custom colour.

Neck - headstock logo easily replaced with correct decal. The trussrod nut is a concern. No idea what's going on there. May be a major or not. Would like to see image of neck heel to make sure it has correct markings, holes etc.

So not necessarily a write-off-part-out-immediately piece. A nice labour of love project for someone, if a lot of the work could be done by the buyer.

Ummm....

[​IMG]

Miotch and Mipstoo like this.
  3. Stratwrangler

@Bazz Jass yes that would be my intentions with it as well the plastic stash cover was only in jest. The wood could be replaced fairly easy once the is cleaned up with a router.
    I would ideally take it back to Olympic White or sonic blue . The main badly sanded area seems to be neck pocket edge and treble horn ,fore arm and rear contour look ok if anything a bit cuddlier so that would be OK.
    The truss rod concerns me too have asked if it moves or what condition neck is in and photos of side view of neck and fret board etc and a better one of internal body shot. If he bothers replying I will let you all know.

Dont see many 1960 ones lots of 62/ 63 etc was 60a slow production year for strats was that when the jazz master was being introduced more?.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  4. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nope, remove your hands from the keyboard and back away

Just reading about it sounds bad enough but with just the one pic to go by I'd just scroll on by this

hexnut likes this.
  5. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

+1
    If it is a 1960, so little remains of it that it's just not worth the effort.
    ~ I dug out a small area on the back of the body and made a stainless cover plate to hide my stash.
    Uummm... OK, that's pretty extreme and stupid. Maybe a stash of meth?
    Also note the area below the pickups routed out on the face. I'm betting the routing on the rear was for a battery compartment for a preamp that was installed under the PG.
    ~ I updated the pick guard and knobs to black (back then there was no internet so all parts were ordered through my local
    music store so I would guess they are Fender parts).

Fender, or Mighty-Mite, or Allparts... there were a ton of suppliers.
    ~ I put an updated fender decal on the neck (may have lacquered it on).
    BS. Unless he put that decal on in the last 10 years or so. Unless he was really tight with a Fender employee who stole one for him, he didn't "update" that decal in the 70s.

The headstock looks too clean considering everything else that's been done to it.

Serial number on the neck plate is meaningless given the overall condition. A set of Harbor Freight punches can do that.

Bowmap, crashbelt and CFFF like this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If they are original.
    More likely, they were "upgraded" in the 70s when the plastic was replaced.

7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

i would give 200 bucks plus shipping.....max.

8. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

First 100,000 neckplates last from 54 to 63 (nine years), second 100,000 plates (L-series) were used up in 2 years (more or less). Just more Fender guitars being made by 63, that's all ;)

crashbelt, Stratwrangler and CB91710 like this.
  9. mjea80

mjea80 Strat-Talker

Besides all the routing on the body, does the body itself look period correct?

Any way to date those pick ups with the current photos? They definitely look old.

10. Stratwrangler

@CB91710
    I appreciate what your saying , people did some odd things in the 60s and 70s to guitars. Especially when drink and drugs are concerned. They were just guitars then . Look how many vintage instruments Pete Townsend destroyed for no reason.
    I believe the pickups and harness to be genuine definitely not 70s pickups or they would be plastic coated wire not cloth .
    Fender did give out decals back in the day as did local authorised repair shops .
    Plus im sure I won't end up with it but its at over a grand already so others must also be seeing the worth in restoring it to its former glory.
    Will it ever be perfect no, does it deserve to be broken up and parted out , IMHO also no I hate seeing that happen to guitars of any type.:thumb:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    nutball73, 3bolt79 and mjea80 like this.
  11. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-Talk Member

It looks a lot like this guitar

Guy Named Sue, CB91710 and Nick-O like this.
  12. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

In Canada we buy these to keep our house warm during winter

crashbelt and CB91710 like this.
  13. Stratwrangler

What long haired teenagers?

14. tigger6

tigger6 Strat-Talk Member

That looks amazing. I don't know about everyone else, but a fully functional guitar just doesn't do it for me! Annoyingly I have about 4 guitar projects on the way..

15. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

Is the body wood ash or alder?

16. tigger6

I think it's Ash.

17. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

I think it should be...

soon. ;)

Bowmap likes this.
  18. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

So was the original finish blonde if the body wood is ash?

19. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Too many red flags. Don't let the description sway your judgement. Best of luck in your decision.

20. tigger6

What red flags do you see? I am sort of worried about the truss rod end of the neck. The ones I've seen have the access hole decidedly cut into the rosewood. Here it's just sort of touching it if I'm not mistaken. And the slab board looks thin (perhaps it's been sanded or something)

Bowmap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.