Ohh Orange...

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
With a few different keystrokes I can play music I give a damn about.

"I've listened to Marcus King's music and I don't like it" is a position I can respect. "I've never heard of (musician)" is a ridiculous stance in the internet age.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
"I've listened to Marcus King's music and I don't like it" is a position I can respect. "I've never heard of (musician)" is a ridiculous stance in the internet age.
You'll be disappointed to know there are likely hundreds of thousands of guitar players I didn't look up.

There's another hundred thousand who also deserved respect and admiration who just didn't make it into the spotlight.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Only if you drop into threads about those hundreds of thousands of players to let us know you've never heard of them.
I dropped into a thread about Orange amps (I presumed, it could've been about colors or fruit). Once in, it featured a player I'd never heard of, then I continued to not know about that player.

Now I seem to be being judged by a stranger about not knowing about another stranger.

Last edited:

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
Oh boy... Am I the only one who didn't know who Marcus King was ? I had to look him up... no wonder, one album release and only 2 singles and he gets a signature Orange Amp ?

That's an interesting marketing strategy by Orange.
So...you gonna let the rest of us in on the secret :):).....I too have no idea who he is....

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
I dropped into a thread about Orange amps. Once in it featured a player I'd never heard of, then I continued to not know about that player.

Now I seem to be being judged by a stranger about not knowing about another stranger.

Your powers of perception are much stronger than your musical curiosity.

Here, I will make it real easy for you. With just one click below, you can now stop being a dumdum about Marcus King. You're on your own for all the others, though.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I
Your powers of perception are much stronger than your musical curiosity.

Here, I will make it real easy for you. With just one click below, you can now stop being a dumdum about Marcus King. You're on your own for all the others, though.

I feel bad for Mr King. Just to be a stubborn jerk I'm not going to click the play button.

Next time you're passionate about something try..

"I really like...... and I think other people should check.........out"

Instead of

"You're a guitar player and you don't know who Marcus King is? That one's on you, man."

or

"Here, I will make it real easy for you. With just one click below, you can now stop being a dumdum"

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
So...you gonna let the rest of us in on the secret :):).....I too have no idea who he is....
Not sure what secret to which you are referring... I listened to his album, it's alright, part I like parts I don't really care for. However, I find it interesting that Orange would make a signature series for an upcoming/early established artist like Marcus.

I know some may say he's the bomb, but he only has one album out, unless he played with other band I also do not know... there are plenty of artists that I had not the chance to listen to out there...

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
Not sure what secret to which you are referring... I listened to his album, it's alright, part I like parts I don't really care for. However, I find it interesting that Orange would make a signature series for an upcoming/early established artist like Marcus.

I know some may say he's the bomb, but he only has one album out, unless he played with other band I also do not know... there are plenty of artists that I had not the chance to listen to out there...

Seems like brands are making an effort to partner with young up-and-comers. Gary Clark, Jr., HER and Kingfish Ingram all got signature guitars and/or sponsorship deals, too.

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire

I had honestly never heard of him before I read this thread. My interest was peaked by the mention of Orange amps as I used to own a Tiny Terror and should have kept it (I have an Orange Stamp pedal/amp too though not as good as the TT). I don't think it's ridiculous to say that I've never heard of someone; I guess there may be UK musicians that are well known over here, but not so much in USA.

I'll go off and give his stuff a listen just for S&Gs though.

Relative to the amp; seems rather overpriced for three knobs or four depending if you like the guy or not. ;)

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I think I've figured out the main differences here.

You're assuming I play guitar because music is my passion and the guitar is the tool of choice.

In fact I play music because guitar is my passion and music is what you do with it. Who else is playing guitar is of no concern to me in most cases.

Mr Jagsquire

Strat-O-Master
Sep 26, 2020
Berkshire
Eh, I disagree. It took you longer to write this post than it would have taken you to pull up his music and listen to it.

Thanks! That's the only point I was trying to make!
I think you're missing my point: You claim that in the age of the Internet that it's impossible that someone might not have heard of a given musician. Even with the Internet I don't 'know' every musician until they are brought to my attention as this thread has. Perhaps semantics, but I genuinely hadn't heard of this guy before now despite the amount of time I spend on the Internet.

I know you're now going to say that I could have looked him up while typing this post, but again that's missing the point that I hadn't heard of him before I read this thread.

EDIT: I don't generally go rushing off and listen to every artist I've never heard of otherwise I'd get nothing done and probably listen to a lot of stuff I don't like, particularly on forums where C&W seems more common like TDPRi for example.

Latest posts