OK NOW StewMac!!!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Believer7713, Apr 4, 2021.

1. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I was looking at a micro controller chip available from a supplier in New York earlier today. It will fit in a small letter size envelope flat. Its cost is $4.95. Their shipping was $4.95 USPO minimum and $12.95 UPS minimum.

I cancelled and will wait until I need more items....

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I use them a lot too. I really like them a lot. They just didn't have the tang nippers I was looking for this time.

Lovnmesomestrat and StratoMutt like this.
  3. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Strat-Talk Member

I dunno. I paid StewMac the $40. Probably had about 20 things shipped in the past year from them. Everything is quality. Sometimes I just need a few resistors that come to $1. I don't think twice - I order and have them in a couple days. Works for me. Works for them.

4. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Anything that is a generic tool or based on a generic tool can be purchased cheaper elsewhere. They do have some proprietary tools that are great that you can’t get anywhere else such as the Z file. They are great at making you think you need ten things when you only need one.

Believer7713 likes this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

True true.
    They do have some tools that I will probably eventually get but only because I will use them. Nice thing about working with tools my whole life is that I know how to tell what I will use and which will just become novelties in the drawer.
    I don't like spending money I don't need to but will definitely spend the money needed to have the tools to do a job with proper results.

6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

StewMac has quality tools at a premium price. They are not my first choice unless I can't get a comparable item cheaper. That said, I have gotten stuff from them over the years.

This week, I nearly signed up for the one year free shipping for $40. Last year I bought their fret press, and it's definitely high quality. I have also bought two slotted fingerboards from them this year, as well as the refret saw/slot cleaner combo.

I built some tools copying their designs, including a Tune o matic bridge jack, fret tang nipper, high spot leveling file, and maybe one or two others.

I considered buying the neck vise, but I found one cheaper elsewhere. They are called carver's vises on other sites. I use it all the time. Best $119 I ever spent.

I like Philadelphia Luthier Supply and Luthers Mercantile as alternatives, but they don't have the variety.