Join Strat-Talk Today

Old Hobbit hands!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mysticguitar, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

I think the width is a happy medium

If i play a 7.25 my thumb hurts because i have to much room and i end up having my hand to clasped,,,if that makes since to ya
    And if i play a 10-12” radius im definitely having to put my hand in a reaching angle to make proper string connections or i should say positive string connection as in making a proper note in tuned key

Here again though,even from working with my hands my whole life a racing motorcycles and other hobbys i think most of my thumb,wrist pain while playing is from 30yrs of doing it my way and not the proper way
    If i had concentrated on proper fourm and technique earlyer in my playing I honestly dont think id have the issues i do now days

2. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

For string gauge I would recommend Elevenses

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. Mysticguitar

Mysticguitar Strat-Talker

Ok, lets's consider width and radius. I'm wondering what would be more helpful for old hobbit hands, narrow width, 1.62 and soft v or med. width, 1.65 and oval c?

4. Red Bread

Red Bread Strat-Talker

I think everyone has different hands and inflictions
    Itd come doen to the individual

Just gota try as many as ya can till you find what works

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  5. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

Why not start at one end of the spectrum and work along?

Get yourself along to a store and start with a Squier Affinity.... 1.6 at the nut but still a modern C back shape and 9.5 radius. The narrower nut makes the neck feel chunky while still giving the narrow width you think you may want.

See how it feels then move on to something with a 1.62 modern C and ultimately though to a 1.65 etc. trying each width in whatever shapes you can find. It's only hands on experience which will answer your question.

I love the chunky C with 1.65 nut width and 7.25 radius on my MIJ '72 e-issue and yet whilst I also have a Squier VM70 with 1.65 nut combined with a modern C and 9.5 radius the closest to the MIJ in feel is my Affinity with it's 1.6 nut but deeper C yet still a 9.5 radius.

6. Mysticguitar

Very thoughtful, great idea.

7. Mysticguitar

Does your left hand thumb area get cramped with those modern c necks?

8. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Depending on what problems you may be having with your playing, a combination of slightly wider neck along with slightly wider string spacing might help. Maybe......

On a recent trip to my doctor to have some x-rays done to my right (picking) index and middle fingers, I was told by my doctor that I have REALLY Large, Thick fingers, but not overly long. He'd never really looked at my hands before, and was shocked at how large these sausages with fingernails are.

Factor in my rheumatoid arthritis, and I figured a wider neck was a necessity. A Warmoth neck (standard thin profile) in the 1 & 11/16" width (1.6875") is a great compromise for me personally. It actually measures out to 1.698" at the nut. Only on a very limited few songs do I use my thumb for 6th string bass notes like the Blues Greats do. I pretty much have had to become a barre-chord player as much as possible. This wider Warmoth neck allows me to make a nut that gives me a wider string spacing, which in turn makes both my open and barre chords sound cleaner.

The Whitey guitar in my avatar is one I recently built, and it has a Fender 60's Classic Player neck that I absolutely love. It measures out to 1.652". But I just found out today that I can much more easily play, say, D7 shape chords below the 12th fret on the Warmoth neck than I can with the Fender neck. For example, the E7 chord (D7 shape) that John Fogerty used in "The Old Man Down The Road" during the start of his lead(s) played at the 15th and 16th frets is one I can no longer play on a neck that narrow. Most all my barre and open chords sound cleaner with the wider neck. My fat arthritic fingers just don't bend well at the first knuckle anymore......

Hope this may possilby help someone!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. Mysticguitar

Getting old is a ***** MrNeutron, I don't have arthritis yet, just thumb cramping from having to pinch on thin modern c shapes. I need a thick narrow neck

MrNeutron likes this.
  10. Mysticguitar

I re-ead your post and your Squire Affinity sounds like what I've been looking for! Holy Moly! Narrow nut and deeper C! What's the quality like?

11. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

I have some mildly crippled hands from years of abuse. I too like the soft v, my favorite being the Classic 50’s Strat. The Classic 60’s is fuller and also feels good to me, whether it’s a Strat or a Tele.
    Have you considered an aftermarket neck? Find the dimensions on the guitar that feels good to you and compare them to something from USACG, Warmoth, etc.

Stratoskater likes this.
  12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

You know it's funny. I've changed all the hardware, pups and electronics to Fender stuff (cost about the same again as the guitar but still less in total than a secondhand MIM) and I have to say I love it. I only did the mods after examining everything else for quality and confirming everything is built and put together well. Thinner body but solid Alder and it just feels right to me.

Fit and finish both really good straight out of the box and it's got the snuggest neck pocket I've ever seen. The weak points on Squiers are some of the materials used (hence changing hardware and electronics) and QC but mine was initially very good and with lots of attention by me since is now fabulous (and I really just smoothed the fret ends and neck edge a little). Honestly nothing really needed doing to it (floating trem worked fine, no issues over nut or under string trees and the tuners even worked OK) but the little mods have gradually raised it's overall feel.

Try one. The neck will either work for you or it won't and they're so cheap you can buy an entire guitar just for neck to use in a build if you want different body specs.

MrNeutron likes this.
  13. Mysticguitar

I've thought about it, I just didn't want to wait 3-4 months before it could be made but it might be worth it

14. Mysticguitar

It's very tempting.

15. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

Try one ... the stores are full of them. If you like the neck either mod everything else as I did or just discard it or sell it on.

16. Mysticguitar

W
    Well screw it! I bought a Baja Tele from Sweetwater.

Andrew Wasson and lineboat like this.
  17. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

Warmoth is usually pretty fast. My last USACG neck was several months, but I wasn’t in a hurry.

Congrats on your Baja!

18. Mysticguitar

Thanks.....

19. Mysticguitar

A 1.62 neck width makes All the difference. Hallelujah!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.