Old music friends

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
I've had terrible luck re-connecting with guys I hung with when I was young. They are either stuck completely with reliving the past or are problem children looking for a couch to crash on. So I just don't anymore.

I've had similar.

People who were close friends in the past, when we met up I found we had nothing in common.

People evolve.

"The past is a foreign country".

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
At a bar to watch an old friend and his band. We have had pretty much no contact for years and we talk and it's the same as before.

Happens every time.
Sweet! I just met my first friend IRL that plays. A guy named Mike. Turns out he knew Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. I sort of didn't believe him at first but things he's told me match up with what I've learned about Dime separately.

Like when Mike said Dime brought him a new Dime Slime guitar to the hospital after he tried to kill himself back in the day. Mike told me he brought the guitar and to me, it didn't really make sense. "Why would he bring you a guitar?" is what I thought.

Later, I read an interview with Zakk Wylde about Dime, and Zakk explains that giving away guitars and gear was one of Dime's favorite things to do. That he absolutely loved giving people guitars & pedals & amps and having them light up with joy at what he did for them. That he just loved making others happy.

So maybe Mike isn't bs'ing me. Seems he did know Dime & Vin. Lucky bastard. I know this doesn't really belong in this thread. I just figured I'd share this story about my only IRL guitar friend. Lol

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
At a bar to watch an old friend and his band. We have had pretty much no contact for years and we talk and it's the same as before.

Happens every time.
I have never had the desire to catch up with people from years gone by. The circumstances in which I knew them back then are entirely irrelevant to my,nand probably their, lives today and all we’d have to talk about is the past, over and over and over………….or listen to how well (they think) they’ve done in life.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I have never had the desire to catch up with people from years gone by. The circumstances in which I knew them back then are entirely irrelevant to my,nand probably their, lives today and all we’d have to talk about is the past, over and over and over………….or listen to how well (they think) they’ve done in life.
Hmmm, well, I'm not really thinking about past stuff and it appears they are not either other than the relationship. Joe and Rob hung out in a music store I worked in, we reconnected 40 years later and it's been great. Rob plays locally, Joe can still play iconic metal solos note for note. Found Ron still teaching and playing jazz, turned out he worked at a university close to where my son goes to school and the two, Ron and my son, got to meet. The conversation starter? "Hi, I'm Brad's son" reply "Holy ****, you're brad's son???" Found my guy Walt who I played a couple gigs with a few years ago, we are interested in each other's current projects, I went to see his band last night. My old buddy Gary, again, someone I have known for 40 years, sent me a message the other day hoping I would be in his area soon so we can get together.

Maybe it's because I never had any and never really worked to be a music "success" that my music buds and I stayed on good terms.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Sweet! I just met my first friend IRL that plays. A guy named Mike. Turns out he knew Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. I sort of didn't believe him at first but things he's told me match up with what I've learned about Dime separately.

Like when Mike said Dime brought him a new Dime Slime guitar to the hospital after he tried to kill himself back in the day. Mike told me he brought the guitar and to me, it didn't really make sense. "Why would he bring you a guitar?" is what I thought.

Later, I read an interview with Zakk Wylde about Dime, and Zakk explains that giving away guitars and gear was one of Dime's favorite things to do. That he absolutely loved giving people guitars & pedals & amps and having them light up with joy at what he did for them. That he just loved making others happy.

So maybe Mike isn't bs'ing me. Seems he did know Dime & Vin. Lucky bastard. I know this doesn't really belong in this thread. I just figured I'd share this story about my only IRL guitar friend. Lol

I know this post didn't really fit this thread and I apologize for that. It's the only story I have about friends that play, old or new.

I also saw the guitar. There's no question about it. Dimebag gave Mike that guitar and signed it...to him personally. I literally almost passed out when I saw it yesterday. And then my eyes filled with tears at the thought of Mike and what he went through with the loss of his friend, Dimebag Darrell.

image000000.jpg