Old Rock Bands are Decrepit according to Robert Plant.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Scott Baxendale, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talk Member

This is my goal. Maybe while also riding my motorcycle. Wait a minute… I could do that tomorrow!

rocknrollrich likes this.
  2. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

To be fair, Robert Plant has always tried to take his music in other new directions. When Zep called it a day after John Bonham's death, Robert decided that chapter in his life was over, been there, done that.
    It's well documented that he's always been into Americana and World Music. He's formed various bands in which to put his ideas out.... Band Of Joy, Priory Of Brion, The Honeydrippers, Strange Sensation, Sensational Space Shifters.
    His collaborations with Alison Krauss, Patty Griffin.
    For a long time he was reluctant to play Zep songs from his past, but now he often performs them in his setlist, but given a new lease of life, played differently. If you go to see Robert live today, don't expect to hear Zeppelin.
    As far has Zep reunions go he has always expressed disinterest. He had to be talked into doing the 02 gig in 2007.
    I've always held Plant in high esteem. For me, he's the "local boy done good", we were both born in the same town. So, in reference to the OP's title of this thread, I'm inclined to agree.
    As a footnote, I saw Plant on his last UK tour, before the pandemic, and he was fantastic. His music still as fresh and current as ever.

3. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Great post!

4. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Not always, Eurythmics here with a very lively Annie Lennox (now 67) this was 3 years ago.

5. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Toyah is still bouncing! :sneaky:

6. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah I got about that far. Typical internet chaff written by a content generator paid to churn out as many words a day as is humanly possible. All the better to squeeze more ads in.

PonyB likes this.
  7. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I don't think you should have to stop doing what you love because you got old. If people want to see it, that's fine.

I saw Phil Mogg sing with UFO two years ago, I guess he would have been 70 years old. He wasn't moving around the stage much, didn't look healthy but boy could he still sing.

8. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

I’m sure that’s it. :rolleyes:

stratocarlster likes this.
  9. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Some guys are just rehashing the same stuff and cashing in. Others can’t live without creating, it’s an obsession and these are the “true” artists IMO. Neil Young, Jeff Beck… Beck has gotten better with age 100%.

10. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talk Member

Country Dick Montana from the Beat Farmers died on stage.

11. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Senior Stratmaster

It's a generational thing.....we grew up listening to those guys.....
    Even if it's not up to their old energy levels, it's still fun to hear the original bands play their music.

I always wondered what I'd sound like when I was 50......20 years later I have learned so much more and polished my sound. Never thought I would still be able to play at 70 --- but I can still play and do so every day......without any pain.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  13. MC5tooge

MC5tooge Strat-Talker

As far as I'm concerned you stop being relevant when your inspiration dries up.
    Johnny Cash single-handedly proved that age is no barrier to continuing to make good music. And there have been numerous examples since, who have proven that the experience of age can produce some truly great musical art and expression. But a lot of legacy acts get stuck in a rut they can't get out of.
    I'm with Plant on this one. I'm not his biggest fan - but interviews I've listened to reveal a man who still has a massive passion for making music. And that has to mean something.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I am thrilled the old people are normalizing........OLD PEOPLE.

I still have some stuff I'd like to do and would hope audiences are ok with the fact that I'm not young.

15. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talker

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    IMO, I think a lot of artists just really like performing. It gives them purpose and its what they've known for decades. Forget The Stones or Angus Young, even Iron Maiden I'd surmise all have net worths of $25 mil+ AND very steady income streams from merchandise and royalties. They could have called it quits ten years ago; and as long as they aren't burning through dough like Floyd Mayweather, they could still live out the rest of their days very comfortably.

Another aspect is they're not just generating income for themselves, they're keeping employed and generating income for employees who have worked with them for ages. That sure would make me feel good regardless if I was rehashing old material or not.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  16. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black isn’t it? And I don’t believe it’s all for money. These are professional musicians and this is what they’ve done all their lives.

CB91710, StratUp and soulman969 like this.
  17. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I think it really depends on the music. Aerosmith still singing about sex with teens is pretty cringe. And using Liv Tyler as the cheesecake in those videos really implies incest. Yuck.

Red Hot Chili Peppers whole bit is youthful exuberance and sex--and now that they're pushing 60 it doesn't fly quite so well. Put your pants back on, grandpa, nobody wants to hear about your fornication. Cali or otherwise. Nobody wants you to give it away now. But y'know what? Those songs about addiction--Under the Bridge and Soul to Squeeze--those still work.

Offspring's whole bit was youthful energy and rebellion--and it's just not credible now they're, what, about 45?

I can't even imagine Warrant now, still singing Cherry Pie. Ew!

Or how about The Runaways, do you suppose they still sing their 1976 hit Cherry Bomb?

Songs about high school romance, macho posturing, and youthful rebellion etc. don't work for octogenarian rockers. They just don't. But that's not all there is to music. Lots of musicians manage to get old gracefully. Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Dylan, Elton John, Paul McCartney, BB King--because their performance doesn't depend on machismo or sex appeal or youthful energy or athleticism. That's the trick, it's simple. Perform songs that don't rely on youth.

Cardi B. is 29 years old--her song WAP has a limited window where anyone will pay to see it. By the time she's 50, 60? Forget about it.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  18. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Good point. If they were barbers should they stop cutting hair at age 60 when they're still more than capable of giving a good haircut?

jwj1701 and bbarott like this.
  19. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

Talking about haircuts....... Planty still has an enviable head of hair.
    Me? My hair did a runner years ago. ;)

soulman969 and jwj1701 like this.
  20. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Exactly. I saw BB many times. Once in his early 80's he had a stool on stage... something new for him. He said "I'm going to sit tonight. Because I can". Then he went on to crank out the notes as always. He played hard up until he had to head to hospice.

Likewise Charlie Watts. He was on tour and playing. Off the hospital... and it was the end.

They, and others, still have it. Keep playing. As with many folks as you age - stop moving, you wither and die.

Rock-on!