Old Rock Bands are Decrepit according to Robert Plant.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Scott Baxendale, Sep 13, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Cringey point of order: Liv is actually Todd Rundgren's daughter. So technically, its not what you suggest.

But, point taken.

2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I like Robert Plant. But, from where I sit it seems easy for a multi-millionaire with continued streams of income for over 50 years to tell other people they should stop playing music, or change their artistry. He can do whatever the hell he wants,,,because he's Robert freakin' Plant.

I just saw Living Colour on Saturday @ Summerfest, these guys are late 50's & 60s now. They had energy and put on a great hour of music. More entertaining than Plant nowadays.
    Who's Robert Plant to tell them, or a large drawing act like Aerosmith or a has-been like Foghat, that they should quit playing and go get a day job?

If you can sell a ticket & people show up, good for you. That doesn't mean I'm gonna show up, and probably not Plant either, but if you have an audience I say go for it.

BuddyHollywood and StratUp like this.
  3. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Unfortunately I know of what you speak :(

Houdi Elbow likes this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Liv's mom Bebe Buell was sleeping around. Todd Rundgren signed the birth certificate, even though he and Buell had split up before she gave birth. Liv figured it out around age 10, when she met Stephen and his other daughter Mia--and noticed how they share features. This all became public back in 1991, Liv changed her name to Tyler and he has acknowledged her. Buell says she claimed Rundgren was the father because Tyler was using too many drugs at the time. I guess she didn't want to deal with him.

BuddyHollywood and CB91710 like this.
  5. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

It’s the same with many sports legends, hard to turn it off. Where else can you get that adrenaline from doing something you love, especially on that scale...plus many people still want to see it.

I say, let them do whatever they like when they’re old, they’ve earned it! If I don’t want to see it, I won’t go.

6. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Saying she was "sleeping around" is like saying the Stones have done a few albums.

I hadn't heard that extension of the story. I thought it was a double secret agent sort of thing going on. Looks like there was a triple reversal!

CB91710 likes this.
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

After seeing his Live Aid performance, which was horrifying, I think he made the right call in disbanding LZ. He didn’t have the chops anymore to do what he did in the 70s. Embrace those limitations, and I suppose he did that quite well. I guess he learned to lower the keys in the later reunions.

8. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I saw the Stones on their Steel Wheels tour. I thought they were like a bunch of fossils on stage, turning into their own nostalgia band. And that was 30 years ago.
    OTOH, I have a lot of respect for people like Tom Waits, Peter Gabriel and the late great David Bowie who keep moving forward and doing new things.

MC5tooge likes this.
  9. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

The Live Aid performance was a shambles. Unrehearsed, Plant's voice shot from touring his solo stuff, Page's ongoing drug addiction.
    It wasn't even a true Zep line up. I mean, 2 drummers, Plant's bass player on bass and John Paul Jones hidden behind keyboards, I ask you!!!!
    Did their reputation no good at all.
    Plant didn't even want to do it, was against it from the start.