Old Rola Alnico speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Shinbones, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Shinbones

Shinbones Strat-Talker

G'day, I just picked up a couple of old 12" Rola speakers, partly on @fezz parka's advice, and I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me anything more about them. I bought them because I was looking for something affordable and Alnico to put into a 5E3 clone I'll be building soon. I only need one, but they were cheap enough that I bought them both.

Codes on the frames are 258809 & 258020. DC resistance is 7.5-ish ohms.

I'm trying to work out:
    A) Their age... judging by the stamps one is either 1958 or 1968 and the other is 1950 or '60 and;

B) How much power they'll handle. The seller said 'around 20W' but he couldn't be sure. He imported them from the US, and said he thought they were originally in jukeboxes. A thread at the Les Paul Forum I found by searching for the cone stamp (42H1702) suggests they'll be at least half-decent for a guitar amp: "Cone number 42H1702 are guaranteed 1.29" voice coil, these work really well for guitar in the original coning if they're not rubbing." It goes on to say they might hold up to a Gretsch 6156 which AFAIK is around 17W. Of course, this is only one guy's opinion, so I'd really like to find out more about them to see if I can get a definite answer on their power rating.

Some pics below... If you know of a good online resource with info on old Rola speakers, or if you know a bit about them yourself I'd really like to hear from you. Thanks :thumb:.

IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG

2. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

3. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Probably organ pulls.
    A stock 5e3 is a 12 watt amp. The Rolas are probably rated at 15 watts, and that rating is conservative . Just don't square wave the hell out of them and they should be fine. Also, they are 60 year old speakers. Nice to have two just in case. ;)

JustABluesGuy and Shinbones like this.
  4. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

They look like they came from a world of Hi Fi or as stated Organ use which means they may have thick cones and a stiff surround for use as woffers.

I would break them in for some 12 to 15 hours ( check the Dr spot site) as most times these drivers have never seen more then 5 watts pumped into them in there life time and then play them in a cab to see if they are too dark for you.
    Note that they can easily be reconed into great GTr speakers!

Shinbones likes this.