Join Strat-Talk Today

Old Value verses the new Value

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by indy5050, May 29, 2018.

1. indy5050

indy5050 Strat-Talk Member

The following pic is my almost NOS 1989 Strat Plus. From my research it was made to be a real work horse and my question is what strat today would be its equal? I am asking because someone wants to trade me a Gibson Les Paul 120th anniversary Standard for this axe along my brand new Fender Blues Jr amp..... am I under valueing my Strat and over Vauleing Les Paul here?
    This guitar in this condition is not so easily replaceable so what is the Vaule meaning what new Strat would
    I have to buy to replace it and how much is that? Thanks in advance Indy

Attached Files:

2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Monetarily speaking, I think you would "win" with that trade.

Weather or not you would be happy with it, I have no idea.

3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

You would probably win with the trade - but how much will depend on which Les Paul Standard you are being offered. Gibson had 3 that year:

LP Standard - had what they called an "AAA" figured top, and these had the "Mini E-tune" system (original version of the GForce/Tronical tuners)

LP Standard Plus - had what they call an "AAAA" top and locking Grover tuners

LP Standard Premium - had what they call an "AAA Premium Quilt" top and the locking Grover tuners

All of them had the same neck shape (slim taper 60s asymmetrical), and all of them had the push-pull pots to split the pickups, do a phase reversal, and I think one was even a complete bypass (bridge pickup full out, no tone or volume pot in the circuit).

Musician's Friend still has the info pages up on their website, but of course no prices since there are none in stock:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/gibson-usa-2014

albala likes this.
  4. indy5050

Well it’s done ...pics posted and I don’t know a thing about Les Pauls ...

Attached Files:

Class A Knob likes this.
  5. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Strat-Talk Supporter

Congrats on your NGD, nice!

6. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Beeeeauty! Congrats! Do you still feel the need to fill the void or is the honeymoon magical?

7. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

That's a Classic, not a Standard. I have a 2017 Classic in the same color (with the traditional control layout) that cost me significantly less that a Standard. I'm confident I could get more for my Strat Plus and Blues Jr tweed than I paid for my Classic, but not way off, so I think your deal was closer to even. I felt I got a decent deal on the LP Classic though.

Anyway, that's a great looking LP and I hope it plays as nice as it looks. Mine does! With that said, I'd keep my old Plus over my LP if forced to choose, but that's b/c it's become a part of me and my #1.

HNGD!

BallisticSquid likes this.
  8. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

you could hardly call that strat NOS as the original pickups are gone.

jaybones likes this.
  9. indy5050

The fact the original pickups and original case where missing was what pushed me over the cliff to take the trade ..... the LP does play and sound very nice just need to dial into the LP sound ....being able to split the pickups into single coils helps with the transition

10. indy5050

My #1 a April 86 57 AVRI will remain with me as all other guitars are just an accessory to Blackie ....

Attached Files:

knh555 likes this.
  11. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

well that's fine it's just that you used that expression in your OP which wasn't accurate. your strat would be worth less without the original pickups. all i was really getting at.

12. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

BEAUTIFUL LP! Best wishes with that! I think you've done very well! (JMHO!)

Brian

indy5050 likes this.
  13. John C

14. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Since you have your AVRI to fall back on, you should be fine.
    I would think that having one LP and one Strat would be the minimum collection a guitarist should have.
    Maybe throw in a Martin in for when the power goes out.

15. indy5050

I have a 1978 Made in Japan Fender .... Martin copy basically.... not claiming it’s even on the same level
    It just plays and sounds nice

Attached Files:

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Great trade. I would have made that trade any day of the week.

I'm not an LP fan, but that guitar is great looking.

Strats are easily replaceable. I highly doubt you'll ever regret this, unless the LP has serious problems.

indy5050 likes this.
  17. YeOldeRocker

YeOldeRocker Strat-Talker

Is this about playing these guitars, or their general market value? I do think you're undervaluing your Strat. The LP has a better market value, but if you add the cost of a replacement Strat, plus the Blues Jr., you end up pretty even, it seems to me. The LP looks great (and is), but only if you reach for it as often as you do the Strat. Market value only matters if you plan to sell the LP.

floorguru likes this.
  18. indy5050

It is nice to have two different guitars for sure ... I agree it was most likely a wash .... I paid 500 for the strat and 600 for the amp so 1100 for this fine LP can’t be to bad of a deal in the end .... I will miss the blues jr but I have a Peavey Classic 30 that more or less performs similar and it is made in the USA as the Jr was made in Mexico

19. John C

Peavey Classic 30s are now made in China - not sure for how long that has been, but at least the last 6 or so years. I hadn't looked at one in a while, but was looking at a new one in the local GC after we moved here in 2012 and I was surprised to see "Made in China" on it.

Hang on to that older USA one - it's nice to have a lightweight channel-switching grab-and-go amp.

20. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

nice guitar!

I have always found it kind of funny that the Classic series has a boost switch on it. thats not very classic at all... but whatever. they are really nice guitars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.