Older Behringer Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by axejock, Sep 12, 2020.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Has anybody ever seen an amp like this? It is obviously older and quite neglected but supposedly works fine. I have no experience at all with these, but this one has twin 10" or 12" speakers, is obviously a solid state model, has lots of controls on the front and inputs/outputs on the back. It is for sale locally with the Squire guitar shown for very low $'s. Any value there?
    (Oh, it is called a V-Tone, Model GMX-212. It says on the back, "designed in Germany, made in China. And the is a "200 Watt" notation as well).

behringersquire.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

This amp was part of Behringer's well - let's just come out and say it - baldfaced copying of the Tech 21 Trademark 10 amp (based on the SansAmp GT2). A number of Asian companies (Behringer, Joyo for two) have made hay copying Tech 21 NYC designs. I had a TM10 amp for many many years, and there were few tones it wasn't able to nail very convincingly. I've not tried one of the Behringers, but if they did their homework and made a good copy of the American version, it probably sounds pretty decent. I don't know about the Behringers, but the tone controls on the TM10 were interactive to a crazy extent, so that fairly minor adjustments could have a fairly drastic impact on tone. I kept sheets of printed out knob layouts so I could write down positions for particularly useful settings.

axejock likes this.
  3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Yes, but unlike the amp they copied, the V tone amps were just terrible.

StummerJoe and axejock like this.
  4. axejock

Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected to hear. And this particular amp looks like it might have sat in some water for a while as the bottom "particle board" (not real wood) is distorted and stained. It does have Bugero speakers, but that means nothing to me. Looks like a good one to pass on, although the Squire might be worth something? Thanks.

5. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

The guitar is definitely worth more.

6. axejock

Yes, I think the guitar was worth the whole "package price". It sold quickly and I missed it. Bummer!

nickmsmith and StummerJoe like this.
  7. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Darn! Next time!