Oly white +20 years

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
Below are a few pics of my oly white Squier Strat. I got this guitar new around 2005-2007 and for having almost 20 years of age I sort of figured the color difference would be a bit more pronounced. The guitar has never been kept hidden away so is this typical for a guitar of this age?
F2F6B761-1EE7-4A5A-AA6B-E8A248E6E1FC.jpeg
1F1EFEE1-3C3A-4363-A222-CECDA3E23537.jpeg
21005E68-9711-4D8D-BFA4-F581E65AB67B.jpeg

Last edited:

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Would’ve expected more of a difference even if it’s poly
Depends on the "poly." Older polyurethane will turn yellow, but generally not as yellow as a nitrocellulose clear. Current variants of UV-catalyzed polyester don't change all that much. That's why car manufacturers use that instead of older paints.

oatsoda

Puck of Paradox
Jul 10, 2011
The Shack, Nova Scotia
Hard for me to believe how much my 2011 oly white tele has changed. Been in the sun some for sure. I have also heard that if you have a propane stove, even if you use the exhaust fan, not only does your silver tarnish faster, it can darken wood. Not like smoking, but some. Sulphur I guess. Ill try to snap and post some new pics tomorrow after work.

macoshark

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 30, 2016
arizona
I agree the color white should be heading toward a creamier shade. Olympic White is known for that. I found out different countries making Squier Strats had slightly different shades of the same color. I'm wondering if there's more to it and your OW isn't the same found on the MIM and MIA Strats. I have no idea.

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
The reason whites used to go yellow is the clear lacquer oxidising, not UV. It's the same reason old Strats have yellowed necks, even if they've spent their whole life under the bed.
Years ago, I sprayed a new neck with untinted, clear coat from an unopened can of lacquer. It was, as you expect, almost white.
A few weeks later, I opened the can to spray something else and noticed the lacquer was already taking on a yellow tint, just from it having been exposed to air.

walter01

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
It is poly and I don’t play it outside but I still would think ambient UV would have done more than what it has in the time given.
It's more to do with Natural Light vs bulbs. Especially in these times with less incandescent light bulbs being used. If the guitar was out but in the basement I wouldn't expect nearly as much as out in the sunroom for example.

Also, there are various polys and some are more prone to discoloration than others.

Last edited:

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan
It is poly and I don’t play it outside but I still would think ambient UV would have done more than what it has in the time given.

What an kind of windows do you have (some have films and coatings to knock down UV gain) and has it been in a sun facing window or shaded side of the house?

demilieu

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 5, 2012
houston
Below are a few pics of my oly white Squier Strat. I got this guitar new around 2005-2007 and for having almost 20 years of age I sort of figured the color difference would be a bit more pronounced. The guitar has never been kept hidden away so is this typical for a guitar of this age?
View attachment 584447
View attachment 584448
View attachment 584449
i'd expect more color change on white even with the guitar stored away in the dark. i have a mim fender tele in white that's more than 10 years old and the color has changed more than this, but not as much as other white guitars i've owned. the squires are now made in indonesia and china, and back then too. i believe cort made their squire stuff. fender contracts regional manufacturers to build their squire lineup

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
Depends on the "poly." Older polyurethane will turn yellow, but generally not as yellow as a nitrocellulose clear. Current variants of UV-catalyzed polyester don't change all that much. That's why car manufacturers use that instead of older paints.

^This. Polyurethane paint is a coating that manufacturers are constantly improving so it doesn't degrade. We're a wacky, niche market that wants degradation. I'm sure they think we're insane.

Forest Lemon

Strat-Talker
Mar 10, 2022
Western NC
Newer poly is pretty durable stuff. It generally needs to see some sun or tough atmospheric conditions to fade/change color much. The Blonde on my '05 Squier has changed a fair amount but it never had a case, bag, or stand and got some sun coming in the window for years. I got it new in college for $99 so I didn't exactly baby it.

20211208_154859.jpg