On my way to pick up a vintage Japanese stress, need some real quick advice.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shockmaster, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I’m on my way to pick up what I believe is 1986 fender Stratocaster made in Japan. My first concern is the headstock does not say made in Japan on the front. I currently own a 1986 Japan contemporary strat. It says made in Japan right beneath the Stratocaster wording did they also have the made in Japan riding somewhere else on the body or next?

My second concern is the price. He had it listed at $350 but I was able to talk him down to $240. There are some mods on there that if I don’t like I could just switch back to original, parts don’t seem too hard to find and don’t look too expensive.

Would you say it’s worth the money? And would you say it looks like a genuine 1986 Japan? Thanks so much

Here is a link to a photo album of the photos he had posted

https://imgur.com/gallery/dCtn7pB

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

$240? Just buy it and then we can tell you what you bought for sure.

Older kahler type nut, older type Floyd.

Goofy switching, goofy pickups.

No pics of the serial number so not sure if it’s a fender, but it looks to be worth $240.

Pop the neck off if you can and see pocket and neck markings.

Edit: where’s the input jack?

3. Shockmaster

Serial number should be in the photo. It has E series serial that looks genuine, And the input jack looks like it’s on the edge of the guitar, I don’t know where else it would be. So that’s where I’m confused. Did they really mod this guitar that much? Could they have actually filled in the guitar where the old input jack crater was?

4. Shockmaster

And I would go pick it up for $240 no problem, but if this is some Frankenstein guitar with the Japanese neck I really don’t want to take that hit. It’s a one and a half hour drive alone. I owned a 1986 fender Strat contemporary and I loved it but somebody offered me $1500 For it so I couldn’t say no. So I’ve been looking to replace it

5. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

i think if you edit your title so it says strat instead of stress you'll get more replies...

6. AngelDeVille

The nut and Floyd tell me they may well have started life together. Those match the time frame, maybe through the late 80’s.

Is the serial number under the fender logo? I can’t read it. I was thinking it would be at the heel of the neck, but that was late 80’s early 90’s.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Width of the neck heel and the body neck pocket mismatch may be suspect.

You're probably fine at that price even if half of the guitar turns out to be a modern China Squier or Washburn.

Two things I avoid on used guitars, MIJ and Floyds -- they are nothing but trouble.

8. Shockmaster

Here is the link to the better photo of the serial number. My previous 1986 Japan said made in Japan under the Stratocaster wording. This one doesn’t. And I was thinking the same thing as far as the body staying consistent to the locking nut on the neck with the tremolo. But I just find it hard to believe somebody would do all that work to change the input jack location on this Japanese Strat And to make it look that clean

https://imgur.com/gallery/pXNjeFK

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

It's a parts guitar; the neck is from a circa 1988-89 MIJ Contemporary "standard" model (the SSS model) that used the Kahler Spyder tremolo. For whatever reason the "Made in Japan" decal was dropped from this model when it cycled to the double-locking Kahler Spyder tremolo in 1988; the earlier versions did have "Made in Japan" under the "Stratocaster" decal (those would have had either the System 1 tremolo or a Kahler 2520 Fulcrum tremolo - both of which had roller saddles and a behind-the-nut string lock).

That being said it's only the neck from this model; I'm not sure about the body from your photos - it could be completely aftermarket or it could be from a different Fender model. The Contemporary Standard model would have had the traditional surface-mounted jack, and that looks like an OFR instead of the Kahler Spyder tremolo. Here's a photo of an entire Fender Contemporary Standard with the Kahler Spyder - this is from a Reverb listing:

[​IMG]

10. AngelDeVille

That makes sense, body could be some type of Squier... note the jack location.. and the Floyd...

F430BB53-8748-4DAC-AFAF-37E73B74CA9D.jpeg

11. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i try to avoid vintage stress since it has been stressed for a long time already.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Vintage stress has the best tone. And penmanship.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Silvercrow likes this.
  13. Shockmaster

Here the only conduit I have with that neck information you gave. That E series serial number is definitely from 1986. I had a 1986 fender strat Contemporary and it as well had an E-series serial number. There was a 6 that followed the E as well, just like this one. The 1988 - 1989 had the H series serial numbers. I’m just very confused about that. The body is too hard to tell.

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

The body is 100% for sure not Fender or Fender Japan

15. Shockmaster

I agree with that, if it plays all right what would you say is worth offering?

16. Shockmaster

If the guitar plays all right, what would you say is worth offering him to buy it?

17. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I've seen the Kahler-equipped ones with both E serial numbers and H serial numbers - they could have reworked some eariler necks I suppose for the early ones. That being said the Kahler Spyder wasn't made until 1988 - that's when it shows up on HM Strats and a whole bunch of Peavey models, and I don't think Kahler had that actual locking nut until the Spyder and the Killer model trems came out.

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

In the words of ZZTop .

I wootin touch it with a 10 foot pole !

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  19. Shockmaster

Definitely. Yeah that all makes sense. I was just basing that off of my other 1986 Fender MIJ Contemporary that I picked up very recently. Really love the guitars a lot, so I was hoping it would be worth it, but it’s not looking so. Here’s a photo album of my other one. It’s all original. Would chose it over a lot of USA strats. I’ve since had this guitar fully set up, replaced the kahler tuner that was missing and it plays amazingly. Not a huge kahler trem fan, been thinking about blocking out that system or replacing it with a regular bridge if possible.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OcnQzH3

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

$150-200 maximum.....

johnnymg likes this.