On the fence...

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Cerb, Sep 6, 2021.

1. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds really messy and not entirely effective.

Rocket King and Cerb like this.
  2. StratoMutt

One of each? DunnoOld.gif

I used to want a set of zebras for my Les Paul. When I had a custom set made, I opted all black.

Cerb likes this.
  3. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I found it hard to justify $599 for a set of pafs…
    There is a set on reverb now for $2500.
    So will I sell them? No way, they were worth every penny. My les Pual sounds exactly like I wanted it to.

The internet told me I was getting ripped off. The internet group think masses were dead wrong. Both in tone and as a simple investment.

pickups are the heart and soul of an electric guitar, getting cheep here, is not a good plan, if you want great tone.

will a 57 set give you the best tone?
    It may and it may not. You will never know unless you try.

I went through about 6 different high end paf sets, and used a real 1958 burst as a reference for what I wanted.

the 57 set is a good set, but for me the midrange snarl is missing, and moved to the higher bass area, that I believe to be the pickups “q” or resonant frequency.
    57s are not really paf like, burst buckers are closer, not that I like burst buckers all that much, but just saying.

if I were you, first I would find a control example, the best sounding instrument you can lay your hands on, switch back and forth , your guitar and the control example.

find what exactly what it is, your own guitar lacks, at that point I would talk to the best small batch winder you can afford.

It’s a better plan than just shooting from the hip, hoping for the best based on internet group think.

if you just want cheep, leave what you have and call it a day.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Cerb likes this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

De wax them with the heat from a hair drier. Heat gun is too much.

Cerb likes this.
  5. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Ah, that's only $105 each. Do it. I have them, and love them.

StratoMutt and Cerb like this.
  6. StratoMutt

Image saved!

LoveLPL.gif LoveL.gif

Cerb and bluejazzoid like this.
  7. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

That's not big money any more.

StratoMutt and Rocket King like this.
  8. Rocket King

Rocket King Strat-O-Master

It's a fair price although not in the super deal territory.
    I sold my set of 59 tributes on ebay the other year for 200 euro. And got less than that of course because of commissions.
    The 59 tributes could definitely be considered (relatively) "rare" compared to 57 classics.
    They are a good set but like all things Gibson, at least in the electronics department, nothing special.
    I have a set in my ES 339 so I know them well.
    They also work nicely in SGs but naturally tone is a very personal thing.
    I say do it.
    Quality alternatives like a new set of seymour duncan Seth lovers are more expensive, to say nothing of the boutique sets.
    I personally wouldn't go cheap on something as critical as pick ups, but thats just me of course.

StratoMutt and Cerb like this.
  9. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Go for it Cerb! Isn't that a pretty good price? I tried 2 or 3 different aftermarket PAF HBs trying to save some money. They're just not the same. You only live once, might as well do it right.

edit: How many times have you heard of someone being dissatisfied with class 57s?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Cerb likes this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Well. 200 would by me a more than decent guitar ;)

I'm thinking P90(s) :whistling:

StratUp and Bowmap like this.
  11. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talker

I say get them. You don’t want to sell the SG ever. Those HBs are your favs. Maybe you can save $20 a few months from now but if you get them now you’re done you have a keeper with the pups you want. Just be happy.

Cerb likes this.
  12. cpk313

cpk313 Strat-Talk Member

After many different sets of humbuckers I tried a Burstbucker 1 & 3 in my SG and I am very happy with the results. You know, just to sidetrack you a little...

duzie and Cerb like this.
  13. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

If it's the price keep looking -- a number of lesser know pickups can compete -- for example Dawgtowns

Cerb likes this.
  14. Cerb

I might leave the SG as is and get a set of Toneridets for the LP. It's already bastardized anyway.

It's not like anyone cares what pickups I use anyway.

I just realized, from the youtube comments, that my most complimented tone ever was me playing a LP Jr. through a $20 pedal, straight into the audio interface.

StratUp likes this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Pickup questions always bring out conflicts. People get very emotional. But at the end of the day, we listen with our ears, but we decide what we like with our feelings. Ultimately what you're hoping for from a pickup is a sound that will make you feel a certain way.

To manufacture a set of humbuckers--the materials and labor don't actually cost much. Maybe $40 worth of materials at the high end, and an hour of labor. Assuming bulk purchasing and bulk production methods, of course. Bootstrap sells sets of handmade USA wound pickups for $60 a set--I'm sure he's at least breaking even. Machine-wound Chinese pickups start at $17 a set on ebay. So we know the cost to manufacture a set of humbuckers is somewhere in the $17-60 range--including both parts and labor. If you're spending more than $60, you're paying for the name, for the emotional response, for their marketing operation, or for the story that these were wound by a sweet old lady from California. You're spending on a feeling.

How much you can spend on a feeling kinda depends on your financial circumstances. If you have 10 grand in the bank, spending a couple hundred bucks chasing a feeling seems pretty reasonable. If you have $200 to make it 'till payday, it doesn't. If you're a billionaire then maybe you want to buy Gilmour's Black Strat or SRV's #1, it's the same thing. Chasing a feeling.

StratUp, duzie and Cerb like this.
  16. Cerb

Yes. And there' s no magic in pickups, it's just a combination of resistance, capacitance and inductance, with a wild card that is how microphonic it is. There are differen't ways you can manipulate those parameters but in the end, that's all there is. The Toneriders are around $125 for the pair, pretty decent.

dirocyn likes this.
  17. spistrat

spistrat Strat-Talk Member

Some folks love the Classic 57s. Others don't. You won't know until you try them for yourself.

I have a pair, and I find them pretty good, so don't have a strong inclination to change them. But I haven't done enough experimenting to know if they're better options.

18. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

Cerb likes this.
  19. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

57's are also my favorite Gibson pickup.

If I'm assuming you mean $210 USD then that send high to me as I typically get a used set for $200 CAD.

That being said, if the pickups are the difference between an ok guitar and an awesome guitar then the few extra dollars are worth it.

Cerb likes this.
  20. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

Really? Dang. So I can tell this guy to fly home. He ain't cheap ya know.

temp.jpeg

Cerb likes this.