Join Strat-Talk Today

On the verge of buying a 62 AVRI Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Foothills Ryan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Foothills Ryan

Foothills Ryan Strat-Talk Member

Have already agreed on the price of 850 for a 3 tone sunburst 62 AVRI, manufactured somewhere between 86-88. The bank was closed today, so that held me up.

Anything fishy sounding about this guitar? It sounds and looks great. Finish looks nitro. Poles are beveled, staggered as well. I raise this question because of these issues brought up by forum member Blueworm:

There are few things to check it is a legit early AVRI :

- First it has to be nitro finished. Not always obvious to figure that out but if it has checking for example it is good sign.
    - Pickups have staggered and non-beveled poles (unlike post-98 57/62 pick-ups). But other pick-ups look the same of course.

Then you have to check under the PG - if you can:
    - The CTS pots have date code.
    - Must be cloth wire.
    - There must be a wormroute in the bridge pick-up cavity. They differ from the Fender Japan reissue in that the Japanese have straight wormroute.
    - Also if it has a 3 way switch it is good sign of stock AVRI - but many have had the 5 way installed.

Also one thing I discover recently is that early AVRI bridge have vintage saddles on which the Fender stamp is oriented the same way on both sides. Fender seems to have change that in 1988 or so, making the 2 stamps oriented in the opposite way. There are other vintage style saddles like that (MIJ, MIM) but they are the narrow dimension.

The middle pickup drops downward toward the first string. He did this to lower it enough to prevent hitting it with the pick. He did this on his 57 AVRI as well which looked and sounded real nice as well.

I did not look under the pick guard, but described everything as it should be. The neck is not original, so there is no date. He said it is a 98 AVRI neck. Looks and feels right. Headstock looks like this:

headstock.jpg

Attached Files:

2. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

You're right to be cautious

You know the year of manufacture because of the serial number on the neck plate. But take a look under the scratch plate and pop the neck out if possible if you really want further proof of authenticity.

That seems a very good price for the Strat. And worth remembering, although a lot have been made of this poplar model, Fender have recently discontinued the 62 AVRI with its replacement being a LOT more expensive.

3. macnik

macnik Strat-Talker

'62 AVRI

It's difficult to tell from the pic you show, but seeing as you know the neck has been changed, check that the transfers are on top of the finish, not under the lacquer. Genuine AVRIs are on the top of lacquer. If it is under then it could be a MIJ or other neck. The fingerboard at the nut end should also appear curved. No problem if you like the guitar, but resale may suffer.

The price is good maybe a little too good.

Good luck.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

So it's an 86-88 Strat (which?) with a 98 neck? Well that makes it a partscaster, doesn't it?

I don't understand "The neck is not original, so there is no date". Whatever year the neck was made it should have a date on the butt.

5. d801hme

d801hme Strat-Talker

A MIJ ST62 neck would have the string tree placement basically parallel with the A string tuning key. From your pic that neck does not look MIJ. If the decal is in top if the lacquer, it would seem legit. Most all are dated on the neck, though I have seen a few that the date was omitted (that's not very common). There should be some marking on the neck heel though, like a barcode sticker or label, or a p/n (like "53777") stamped on the heel.

6. Foothills Ryan

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is a 'partscaster' and that's why it's not selling for 1500, right?

The seller is the second owner. Nice guy. Has a machining shop, so he would certainly have the know how to modify parts.

Says the pickups are custom shop originals. But they are beveled. Does that make them inauthentic, but higher quality?

His story on the neck is that that the butt has a sticker that may have been moist during the transfer, so the date print would be covered.

So that's why I'm looking for other tells. Checking the decal on top of lacquer is good. I'll double check that.

You guys are great. Still seems like a good deal at 850 for a nice looking nice playing "AVRI Parts-caster"

7. blueworm

blueworm Senior Stratmaster

Ryan,

If you have enough confidence the body is original AVRI (except for the p'ups granted they are good ones) I would make sure the neck is from an AVRI also for that price. I think $850 is a fair price for a mix-matched AVRI with most parts original. But if the neck is not then I would not say so. Stratman is right: AVRI necks should have the date penciled on the butt. There is no good reason date is missing because the date is penciled under the lacquer (I think). There are probably few examples of AVRI necks with no date out there, but this is no good rule to follow. Also definitely the decal on the headstock must be on top of the lacquer.

Bottom line is if you are not sure about the neck then bargain the price. Remember you can get a Fender Japan reissue for about half that price (used). They are good guitars too.

8. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

As Blueworm says, the date is penciled under the lacquer and the headstock decal is on top of the finish. Plus, the rosewood fretboard line matching the headstock MUST be rounded, there's no way it can be flat if belonging to an original Vintage reissue neck dated 1986/1988....

9. 57fenderstrat60

57fenderstrat60 Strat-Talker

So basically you have an 86-88 body. You need to take it apart and we need more pictures. Ask for serial number as well. 850 seems top of the line, a few years ago I bought a complete and original '90 57 ri for 900.

10. Foothills Ryan

wheres the tip jar ?

Love the input.

This is difficult. When the guitar is in your hands and it looks good, feels good and sounds good running through a marshall tube amp, it seems easy to make the run to the bank and seal the deal.

But when you step back and let a cooler head prevail, it's a tough call. I appreciate all your input, where's the tip jar?

So that's my next move: ask him to remove the neck, remove the sticker (would an acetone solution be a poor choice if needed? rubbing alcohol?)
    and check for a date under the laquer.

I'll inspect the headstock decal.

Can someone elaborate on this " Plus, the rosewood fretboard line matching the headstock MUST be rounded, there's no way it can be flat if belonging to an original Vintage reissue neck dated 1986/1988.... "

Then I'll ask to look under the pickguard -And what about the pots or - potentsiometers underneath the pick guard. Should there be a date or a mark of authenticity there?

How about this, check out the link, just don't swoop in and steal it away;) S/N included.

Fender 62 reissue

No one commented on the beveled poles. Blue worm mentioned that they should not be beveled. Aye yi yi...

11. Sonny

Sonny .. The smiles returning to the faces ..

I love it when the strat detectives are doing their job!!! Good luck mate - I'm looking forward to the next chapter

12. willluvstrats

willluvstrats Strat-O-Master

I will say that the decal is chipping which probably wouldn't happen on most models being they are painted over.

13. txflood

txflood Strat-Talk Member

Is that a hole in the back of the body in pic 7 or just a camera flash non-issue?

14. blueworm

blueworm Senior Stratmaster

Frankly it is hard to say from those picks. The neckplate/SN looks authentic but there is so many neckplate traffic nowadays...:mad: By the way p'ups poles don't look beveled to me. Is that something you get from the seller ?

15. Foothills Ryan

beveled poles - chipped decals

the poles have a fine even bevel. looks well machined to me. the chips on the decal would seem to indicate that it's external to the lacquer.

I just need to see the neck butt.

Dont' know if the pots convey any valuable information.

I do get a good vibe from the seller. The neck thing is just weird.

16. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Yes. See the slight curve where the rosewood meets the maple to the right of the nut? That's what he's referring to. This is from an '87 AVRI '62 Strat:
    [​IMG]

Although, I'm not really sure that rules out the possibility that it's a MIJ neck, since my MIJ '62 Strat has an even more pronounced curve in the rosewood. Like this:
    [​IMG]

However, if the decals are on top of the lacquer, that would point to it being American. I'd want to check for markings on the heel to be sure.

As for the pickup pole piece bevel question, here's a great article that details the differences between pre and post-1998 "57/62" pickups:

Fender '57 & '62 Strat Pickup (First Reissue) | Planet Botch

So the non-beveled pole pieces would be correct for this guitar.

17. Stratplar

Stratplar Former Member

18. stratman323

Is that the same guitar? I would never trust a seller who printed stuff like

"The S/N V021554 means it was produced from 1982-present, so your looking at 1984-86?"

That's meaningless yet still misleading BS. And that gives me a nasty taste in my mouth.

19. stratman323

I didn't understand that comment either. All the 62 models (re-issues or whatever they were called) Fender have made (MIA, MIM, MIJ) have had slab rosewood boards, so the headstock end of the board should show that rounded line, indicated in a couple of pics above, wherever it was made. Only a guitar with a cap rosewood board (such as one of the new 65RIs) would have a different line to the rosewood at the headstock end.

So that doesn't help us at all....

20. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

It helps, as indicated by VentilatorBlues, in meaning that all reissues' RW necks have a rounded line at the end of the fretboard, where in the first picture by Ryan the line at the end of the fretboard looks straight, apparently indicating it is not a neck used for reissues of that period....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.