One Fender Amp For Your Strats Forever - Pure Amp Marriage

Which amp would you play forever and ever, if you could only play one Fender amp.

• Vibrolux

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Vibroverb

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Twin Reverb

Votes: 21 11.4%
  • Super Reverb

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Pro Reverb

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Bassman

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Champ

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Dual Showman

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Deluxe Reverb

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Princeton

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Tremolux

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of these overpriced hype boxes...I'll take a blues junior or hot rod deluxe with some mods!

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Fender amps suck, I prefer plugging my guitars into amps made by different manufacturers.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Other Fender amp.

Votes: 19 10.3%

• Total voters

Guitar Hobbyist

Strat-Talker
Oct 25, 2021
Virginia
I chose “Other Fender Amp” since because I got this in May 1994, it’s already become my forever Fender amp just by the passing of time. It’s a late ‘82/early ‘83 Paul Rivera-designed Princeton Reverb II, the last I believe of the handwired amps. 20 watts. 12-inch Greenback speaker. The amp has its own website in the U.K.

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
I've owned many amps over the years, good and bad, tube and SS. I have just one amp now, a 1997 first series Tweed BJ, which I'm happy with.

However, I do sometimes regret selling my 2x10 Vibrolux. For the usual reason too.. lack of cash. I doubt I'll ever own another one.. that's why I voted for it.. :thumb:

76standard

Strat-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Keizer Oregon
This is for Strats only. You don't have to play it on a desert island, you can play it anywhere. Even in your house when your wife is home. Rather than clicking 'other' cause I didn't specify the year or 'face', simply select it and specify the year and face in your comment.

Sorry if this exists somewhere...hey let's do it again!
I cast my vote for a Pro Reverb, the 2X12 version, either black or silverface version, based on personal experience. Somehow these amps seem to always fly under the radar of most players. They either are too much amp for the Deluxe Reverb crowd, or not enough for the Twin Reverb players. They are wonderful amps when setup with good speakers. Some might call them a baby, or half, Twin Reverb. They are rated at 40 watts in a 2X12 cabinet that looks very similar to a TR. There is enough power to cover almost any gig, unless you are playing a larger outdoor venue. Just simply mic the amp and run it through the PA. Have done that a number of times with great success.

Now for particulars with this amp that I own. Like I said, 40 watts thru a 2X12 cabinet. Two channels, Normal and Vibrato (Reverb and Tremolo). The early versions of the amp have the black panel cosmetics and are the most sought after ones because of the circuits (AA165) Fender put in these amps with no master volume control. They fetch the highest prices if in good, or better than good, condition.

The silverface version like mine, a '74, has a master volume. The controls on the Normal channel are volume, treble, bass and a tone selector switch for bright or normal. On the Vibrato channel there is volume, treble, bass, reverb, speed and intensity (tremolo controls) along with a master volume a tone selector switch for bright or normal. The master volume control is most helpful for dialing in clean tones. Set the master on 10 and the "volume" knob somewhere up to 3 or 4. It is plenty loud. If you are like most players and use the Vibrato channel, and want a tad bit more clean headroom, pull the V1 preamp tube. If you need a bit more wattage, the early '80s models are rated at 70 watts and have a mid control on the vibrato channel. Trust me, the 40 watt version is plenty in the volume department.

I put a pair of Weber 12A150 alnico speakers in my amp. I chose the 50 watt version to maximize clean headroom. They are a wonderful match with this amp. The amp takes just about every pedal under the sun. To me, the only drawback of this amp is it's weight, coming in around 55-60 pounds depending on the speakers. I use a small handtruck when moving it around to gigs. It is a great recording amp, too. Check out online videos (wear headphones or earbuds) to hear this one in all its glory.

Anybody else in forum world have anything to add about this amp? Few will probably respond.

Attachments

• pro 1.jpg
    pro 1.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 2

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
I cast my vote for a Pro Reverb, the 2X12 version, either black or silverface version, based on personal experience. Somehow these amps seem to always fly under the radar of most players. They either are too much amp for the Deluxe Reverb crowd, or not enough for the Twin Reverb players. They are wonderful amps when setup with good speakers. Some might call them a baby, or half, Twin Reverb. They are rated at 40 watts in a 2X12 cabinet that looks very similar to a TR. There is enough power to cover almost any gig, unless you are playing a larger outdoor venue. Just simply mic the amp and run it through the PA. Have done that a number of times with great success.

Now for particulars with this amp that I own. Like I said, 40 watts thru a 2X12 cabinet. Two channels, Normal and Vibrato (Reverb and Tremolo). The early versions of the amp have the black panel cosmetics and are the most sought after ones because of the circuits (AA165) Fender put in these amps with no master volume control. They fetch the highest prices if in good, or better than good, condition.

The silverface version like mine, a '74, has a master volume. The controls on the Normal channel are volume, treble, bass and a tone selector switch for bright or normal. On the Vibrato channel there is volume, treble, bass, reverb, speed and intensity (tremolo controls) along with a master volume a tone selector switch for bright or normal. The master volume control is most helpful for dialing in clean tones. Set the master on 10 and the "volume" knob somewhere up to 3 or 4. It is plenty loud. If you are like most players and use the Vibrato channel, and want a tad bit more clean headroom, pull the V1 preamp tube. If you need a bit more wattage, the early '80s models are rated at 70 watts and have a mid control on the vibrato channel. Trust me, the 40 watt version is plenty in the volume department.

I put a pair of Weber 12A150 alnico speakers in my amp. I chose the 50 watt version to maximize clean headroom. They are a wonderful match with this amp. The amp takes just about every pedal under the sun. To me, the only drawback of this amp is it's weight, coming in around 55-60 pounds depending on the speakers. I use a small handtruck when moving it around to gigs. It is a great recording amp, too. Check out online videos (wear headphones or earbuds) to hear this one in all its glory.

Anybody else in forum world have anything to add about this amp? Few will probably respond.

Yeah the Pro, its a good all around amp and can hang in there with anyone. Just suffers from middlegrounditus. The 60s tube rectified models are especially good sounding. The new custom 68 pro sounds cold to me for some reason, whereas the deluxe sounds perfect.

For me its all about tube rectified blackface amps. They just have those magical cleans.

Twins have loud, clear cleans...but they don't have magical cleans. Super Reverbs have the sweetest, lushest cleans imo. They have the sweetness of the 10s, but 4 of them for size and lushness, plus ample headroom and the bounce of a tube rectifier. It has sheen, glitter and soft sparkle. Twins don't really have that soft sparkle.

76standard

Strat-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Keizer Oregon
Yeah the Pro, its a good all around amp and can hang in there with anyone. Just suffers from middlegrounditus. The 60s tube rectified models are especially good sounding. The new custom 68 pro sounds cold to me for some reason, whereas the deluxe sounds perfect.

For me its all about tube rectified blackface amps. They just have those magical cleans.

Twins have loud, clear cleans...but they don't have magical cleans. Super Reverbs have the sweetest, lushest cleans imo. They have the sweetness of the 10s, but 4 of them for size and lushness, plus ample headroom and the bounce of a tube rectifier. It has sheen, glitter and soft sparkle. Twins don't really have that soft sparkle.
Mine has a GZ34 rectifier. To me, it sounds wonderful.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
I voted for the old standby. My 1965 Deluxe Reverb is my favorite amp, and my desert island amp. That said, I’d say a tweed Bassman is probably the greatest amp Fender ever made and my goodness does a Strat sound amazing though one of them, but it’s just not practical these days.

Tweed deluxe is a close second, and also sounds wonderful with a Strat, but no verb and a tendency towards ratty breakup makes it slightly less universally pleasing that the Deluxe Reverb.

Guitar Hobbyist

Strat-Talker
Oct 25, 2021
Virginia
I failed to include a pic of the Fender amp I talked about in my earlier post so here it is. Uniquely enough, with respect to other posts on this thread, I traded a SF Pro Reverb for it with a music store in Columbus, OH. The Pro had a 5U4GB rectifier tube in it and tilt-back legs. Seriously considered keeping the tilt bag legs but only have a used rectifier tube and a single pic to remind me that I too once owned an early ‘70s Pro Reverb.

For sure that pilot light is my forever LED!

Attachments

• C6FD4BBC-4572-425E-8C13-128D71463AA3.jpeg
    C6FD4BBC-4572-425E-8C13-128D71463AA3.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 2

74 Stratman

New Member!
Oct 26, 2021
Pass Christian, MS
While I have used Fender amps through the years, my go to amp for the past 25 five years or so has been a Peavey Classic 50, 4 x 10. It is Vox AC 30 meets tweed Bassman meets BF Super! Plug in any Strat but with my Jimmie Vaughan sig it delivers incredible cleans, wonderful crunch, and glorious gain. With channel switching and reverb you can play any genre in any venue. Obviously, I had to vote Fender amps suck!

StratUp

Dr. Stratster
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
While I have used Fender amps through the years, my go to amp for the past 25 five years or so has been a Peavey Classic 50, 4 x 10. It is Vox AC 30 meets tweed Bassman meets BF Super! Plug in any Strat but with my Jimmie Vaughan sig it delivers incredible cleans, wonderful crunch, and glorious gain. With channel switching and reverb you can play any genre in any venue. Obviously, I had to vote Fender amps suck!
Peavey's Classic line is badly underrated... mostly because they got a rep for being "Oh, solid-state" back in the day. They've never gotten rid of that rep - despite some great products.

Nate D

Dr. Stratster
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
It's worth repeating...

5e3

with a Red Fang.
I have one… but with a Celestion Blue. My red Fangs are in other amps- it’s so good in my deluxe reverb I can’t take it sometimes. It’s the best sounding blackface amp I’ve ever played through with that speaker combo. Just delicious.