One grand for a MIJ 40th anniversary Fender Strat: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by loziodavid, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

No way I'd buy that for 1k. Not even half that.

And guitars are NOT good investments for the future.

2. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Only 120 posts, but that's the last one to be seen by me. I'm appalled by the number of new and recent members who think an abrasive, confrontational attitude is a contribution to the discourse.

3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm just about positive that 40th Ann neck plate doesn't go with any Foto Flame guitar.

stormsedge and Ebidis like this.
  4. loziodavid

loziodavid Strat-Talk Member

Opss...I thought it was like a high-energy light beam depicting on the wood's surface. I'm not a luthier, so I had no idea of how photoflame finish is made.
    I did some researches, and yes, it's a picture that has been glued to the wood. In these terms, it's a little lame. Like a regular plastic rear mirror, with a fake carbon fiber film applied.

This testimony is eye-opening:
    I know a guy with an Ibanez that had the Foto flame. It ended up getting a small chip on the edge near the strap button. Nothing huge...just a little chip. Some would call it a relic mark. Anyway, within about a month the entire Foto top had peeled off. I guess that chip was enough to get it started...then moisture got under there and the whole thing peeled up. A big piece of paper with clear coat.

Neil.C, s5tuart, Cerb and 2 others like this.
  5. loziodavid

This is very discouraging, I can't hurt my hands for a stupid fake finish. Okay, you had me! Never photoflame, NEVER! :D
    I just saved a lot of money, thank you all guys! I thought I was doing a great deal with this Strat, but instead...:D

Moving on from the topic, if I want something other than plain maple, can I look at a guitar with roasted neck? How they are made?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    s5tuart likes this.
  6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

They are maple that is literally roasted in an oven/kiln, so nothing fake. It dries out the wood. They are supposed to be more stable in changing weather. Seems to be all the rage in current guitar fashion.

Stonetone likes this.
  7. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @loziodavid

Roasted maple neck is real maple that is heated to bring out the grain pattern.

loziodavid and Impulsive guppy like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I think a roasted neck is a good choice---BUT, I do not have one, so I will defer to those that do. ;)

9. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

$1K? Oh hell no!

FYI......You can get a very nice neck from Warmoth with a real flame finish, and pop it onto a loaded body for about that much.

10. loziodavid

This sounds more appealing. A real wood pattern, rather than a fake plastic film mimicing it.
    BTW, I read that fotoflame is quite thick, 1 or 2 mm, and worsen the tone. Like wrapping the wood into a plastic coffin.

11. loziodavid

Yes, $ 1K! More than $1K, to tell you the truth, because I should add to the price of the guitar and of the shipping, extra 300/350$ of customs fees. I would have paid 1300$ in total.

I was impressed by this
    https://reverb.com/item/35965949-fe...er-mij-40th-anniversary-1994-lake-placid-blue
    love a lot the LPB, it's my favorite finish as well as CAR and Olympic White, and the fotoflame seemed appealing to me, but I didn't know the catch.

3bolt79 and s5tuart like this.
  12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

That is also not a special anniversary model, it's just a regular 1994-era Fender Japan ST-57 with foto flame neck and is not worth more than $600 US

Nadnitram, 3bolt79 and Cerb like this.
  13. loziodavid

It's a 40th anniversary model, actually, but they refused even my $800 offer. They told me that they can't accept an offer such low, and they sell this type of guitars at this price...was a bit confused because I know the price of the MIJ Strat, but I didn't reply further.
    I believe 1K is more appropriate for a '80s Strat, like the famous JV and E series, not for a 1994 MIJ Strat. Even if it comes with the commemorative neck plate.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

No, it isn't. Fender Japan only had one anniversary model, it was with gold hardware and was only one finish color - vintage blonde. The others were just regular production models with the anniversary neck plate, they were not made in a limited number of guitars.....

This is super common, people getting mixed up with Fender Japan products and their value....the entire internet seems to think their Fender Japan model is worth $1000 + when it's really worth not more than 65% of that.....

I had a 1985 E serial ST-57-115 and I sold it for only about $450 US in 2016......that is the most anybody would pay.....and I had to ship it to Toronto.....

Nadnitram, Willmunny, s5tuart and 3 others like this.
  15. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-O-Master

16. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I'm pretty sure I know who you're speaking of. I blocked him after 1 post...a new record. Guy is a complete know-nothing douchenugget, and apparently lives in mom's basement rent free, giving him all the time in the world to spread his bile trolling multiple websites. He's been elsewhere doing the same.

Contributes nothing of value to any of them, like, I suspect, to life in general.

So I'm neither appalled, nor surprised. Just indifferent. His hell is having to be him.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  17. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Doesn't matter, if he had 120,000 posts, that's just not necessary.:eek: If you don't want to hear an answer, don't ask. As for that guitar, you guy's are generous. If I was a DIY'er I wouldn't give someone over $100 for the body and just scrap the neck.

Cerb likes this.
  18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

The confusion @Guitarmageddon mentioned is not unique to Japanese models. It exists in the American market too due to Fender's, intentional or not, confusing marketing/nomenclature.

For example you have Fender's 60th Anniversary models and you have Stratocaster's 60th Anniverary. To add to the confusion for each anniversary they put a badge on every production guitar produced that year, but only the "commemoratives" have special feature and are usually produced in limited number.

So it does get confusing when reading ads since many are not well-versed. That's why it's always a good idea to check here first.

19. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yes, him. He had me at "shut up".

s5tuart, Baelzebub and Cerb like this.
  20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Just a sad little boy who lashes out. But tha'ts his sorrow not mine. And I don't waste my compassion dressing self-inflicted wounds.

myredstrat likes this.