Online course, focus

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by cranky, Dec 5, 2021.

1. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Hey, everybody.

I mentioned something in a previous thread regarding online courses the possibility of some of us working through a common course. Maybe not together per se, since we all have different schedules and whatnot. But just for some extra camaraderie, using ST for some extra exchanges.

After a good year of ruminating on who I thought would be the best instructor for me in an online format, I decided to go with Jens Larsen and his "Jazz Guitar Roadmap" course. And since I didn't grow up hearing any jazz and my knowledge of specific songs is spotty, I also decided to grab his more general "Jazz Standards" lessons as a companion course. I really want to set all of the YT stuff aside and just let Jens be my guide for this stretch (though I'll probably still watch some of the Rotem Sivan's chill lessons).

If anyone's up for it, it would be cool to have that community within a community.

Never did I think I'd be going into the jazz direction when I got my first acoustic about 17 years ago. I couldn't have even named one jazz guitarist until a couple of years ago. But here I am. The more I learn about the fretboard and harmony, the more my noodling resembles jazz and it's the one thing that I really want to get really good at, beyond mere resemblance.

stratobiker and Higgins1980 like this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I am interested in the Jazz Standards but probably have too many irons in the fire to pursue it.

cranky likes this.
  3. cranky

Yeah, I here ya.

As some of you might have noticed, I have the time to spare, especially since tendonitis has all of my guitars shelved lately. And all of the guitar players I know (except one) are at ST. Playing guitar has only just begun to be a way of connecting with others for me (I was too shy and insecure to even set foot in a music shop until a couple years ago), but I'm getting there and hopefully someday I won't have time for this **** and I'll be busy being productive with other players too :)

Higgins1980 likes this.
  4. Higgins1980

Higgins1980 Senior Stratmaster

This is me now. How’d you get past it?

5. cranky

I think it started with going into the acoustic room midday weekday when I knew Id have it to myself. And I’d done a little research, learned a thing or two about specs and manufacturers.

Then it was therapy. That writing was on the wall.

Coterminous with therapy was an opportunity — terrifying initially — to strum some childrens songs for a small group of special needs kids and their parents for music therapy.

What it came down to, I think, was admitting that playing guitar and music in general is what I really wanted. Wanting things wasn’t really acceptable growing up. So I got over that, embraced the want, started studying and practicing more seriously, and the confidence to simply go to Guitar Center emerged. It’s still not exactly my favorite place, I’m still hesitant to plug in there if there’s people around, but I’m basically okay with being there. I appreciate better now the kinda journey that everyone at a guitar shop is on or has been on, and I don’t worry about other folks who don’t appreciate that.

Higgins1980 likes this.
  6. Higgins1980

Higgins1980 Senior Stratmaster

Mind if I ask how long you’ve been doing therapy. I know I should probably go but a lifetime of being conditioned to think asking for help is weakness along with the stigma of having to need it has kept me from getting any real help. Thanks for sharing your story.

7. cranky

I haven’t been for a while. Sometimes I think about going back for some tuneups. But at the same time, I know much better now where to find help and answers with or without the therapist.

I was kind of an academic in a former life — humanities and social sciences. So I was able to kind of intellectualize the stuff first, having a good grasp of how culture and ideology work, theories of the mind, etc. In hindsight, I think that was probably important for my pride, that I could talk about myself and my family in a kind of transcendent way prior to getting down to the raw emotions. But the raw emotions are absolutely necessary.

The main mistake I made was, prior to accepting therapy, my blend of developed intellect and stunted emotion made me think it would help or be ok to confront the main problem-person, when in reality I was wrong to do so. The emotional growth needed to come first.

Higgins1980 likes this.
  8. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Nothing wrong with tuneups, it's not a sign of regression or defeat. Don't intellectualize, if you think you need to then you do. Just my humble opinion.

Glad you took that first step when you did, takes A LOT of courage!

Higgins1980 and Stratafied like this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I was thinking we could all sign up for University Of Phoenix

26% graduation rate, more expensive than a real college, no HR person will accept your degree, but we can do it on our own time!

It's most famous graduate is Lil Wayne, and he became very successful in music.

Higgins1980 and cranky like this.