Only During The Rona...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratSounds, Sep 29, 2020.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

The house directly across the street from mine is a rental. The new renters are a group of college kids, grad students, so they're a bit more mature at the age of 23:D. Just for descriptive purposes, my wife and I are both about 50, don't have any kids, and most people seem to think we're at least ten years younger than we are due to our general attitudes and the way we dress I guess. We've lived in our house for about 20 years.

I hadn't met any of them yet when a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were unloading groceries and suddenly "shirtless guy" across the street yells "is that a "such and such" hat?" I didn't understand what he said or what he was referencing, but he was asking about my ball cap. I said "nah, I think it's some surf company or something". Suddenly he comes tromping across the street, shirtless, with a beer in one hand and his other hand extended. My wife was on her way inside so she went on in. I thought, "well that's cool, he's a nice guy and wants to have an intro", but I turned and said with a smile "I'm not gonna shake your hand dude", to which he replied "oh, ok, elbow bump then!", which I did, and then he says "it's ok, I have the antibodies". That cracked me up.

Anyway, we do the intros, chit chat for a minute, and I can tell he's pretty buzzed. No big deal, I'm often times a bit buzzed myself around the house:D. He's a nice enough guy, gives me their back story, then goes out of his way to say "I can guarantee you there will be no parties here and please let us know if there are any noise problems or anything". I told him I really appreciated it and that it was cool of him to say so. Meanwhile I'm hearing a number of guys and girls yelling loudly from his backyard and it sounds like a party is in full swing, then he says "we just like to play drinking games in the backyard". I thought that was hilarious, no parties, just lots of friends over and drinking games in the backyard:D.

I went to college, I get it, and I said "hey there's nothing wrong with a party now and then, I've been known to throw one on rare occasion myself". Then he said, "dude come over and have a drink with us right now!" Of course with the Rona and all, I wasn't about to hit a backyard college party, but I said "thanks man, maybe another time, my wife and I were planning on watching playoff hockey tonight and making dinner". We said our good byes, nice to meet yous and that was that.

Nice enough and seemingly considerate guy, but ever since then he's kind of gone mute on me. If I see him outside, he doesn't make eye contact and just skuttles to his truck and takes off. Maybe it's me or maybe he's a little embarrassed that he was "shirtless drunk guy" at our initial intro, who knows, but today I saw him outside and went out of my way to say "how's it going man?" Without making any eye contact he said "good, you?" Kind of weird, but they've actually been pretty quiet so far. I just thought it was a funny introduction story and felt like killing some time relating it instead of working like I should be right now.:D Cheers!

stormsedge, Dare1, nickmsmith and 7 others like this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

He thinks you are a narc.

3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Well, I have a 23 year-old living with me and I can tell you, that the Dr. Jecklyll and Mr. Hyde-thing is 100% real and apparently normal. If you thought they grew out of that moodiness BS in the teens, you would be mistaken :D

4. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

That's hilarious.:D

5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

At least you got an invite! We hear the yelling and whatnot, but all we ever get are firework remnants and beer cans in the yard.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

We had that in Scottsdale....
    I worked in Sacremento...
    [Not there 12 out of 14 days]
    Got to be too much...
    Called the owner...
    Put it in a letter....
    Certified it...
    Gave them a chance....
    Lord forgive me...
    They were gone...
    I in my youth was and am so innocent(not)

7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

In college, I don't think I was a great neighbor. Not the worst, but we did have parties. And I was known to paint murals on the walls of rentals for me and others. I mean, they were nice, but not what the owner had in mind. That was a short lived phase, thank the stars.

soulman969 and StratSounds like this.
  8. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Show up to his place in a toga with a case of natty light and show him how its done

9. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

10. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Dude was probably wasted and dont remember talking to you. Been there...

11. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

This will be me in roughly two hours...

12. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Kid was ripped and now feels sheepish. Probably got blackout later that night and is now asking himself. "Wait. I talked to that guy yesterday right? I think I did. Maybe I said something dumb. (I probably did)."
    I remember being that kid. Have had a few experiences as "the older guy" nowadays too. My, how time flies.

3bolt79, soulman969 and StratSounds like this.
  13. Jerseystratfiend

Jerseystratfiend Senior Stratmaster

Pleeaasseee tell me that is not true! Waiting for my 16 year old son to snap out of it! Haha

3bolt79, soulman969, circles and 2 others like this.
  14. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

i'm 58 nd still waiting to snap out of it myself.

15. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

The younger generation is so different but some are on the ball. To me the good neighbors say hi when you see them or a nice wave. That is all I really need or want. Your story is a good one and now your left with a neighbor that keeps to himself and who knows why? Sorta sounds like he might be embarrassed.

3bolt79 and soulman969 like this.
  16. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

LOLOL......if StratSounds is in Colorado I'd say it's unlikely. They're somewhat of a dying breed around here. LOL

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I'd say there are two possibilities.

1) He's either embarrassed about the first meeting being drunk and all or......

2) Since you declined his invite you are now uncool and worthy of being ignored.

But having or attending a party in the backyard unmasked during the height of COVID season would be uncool for me anyway so I will remain both uncool and uninfected thank you very much.

StratSounds and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

He has zero recollection of meeting you the first time.

StratSounds and RL21980 like this.
  19. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

When he sobered up he realized he had been judged, and probably agreed with the judgement.

StratSounds likes this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Amateur; everyone knows you wait for the air to clear before you put it to your lips. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I wonder if maybe another neighbor caused an issue for them with the 5-0 or whatever and they're trying to lay low. I dunno.

StratSounds likes this.