Only guitarist in a trio

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Cerb, Apr 6, 2021.

1. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talk Member

I love your post!

Cerb and fezz parka like this.
  2. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

I’d just listen to a lot of trios (or bands that were trios + a lead singer). Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, Van Halen, Rush, The Who, SRV. You just need to vary things up more so it doesn’t get boring.

It will also be nice because it’s easier to avoid the sound getting muddy.

Cerb and drp146 like this.
  3. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

I've been thinking about this post, because I love trios. I came to some conclusions that may or may not be relevant:

1) There is less space to hide in a trio. You have oto step up your game. You have to come up with new stuff. You can't get complacent. Trios demand good musicians that are also pushing the boundaries of their instruments.

2) Trios are awesome for guitar players who underestand them gem they have. you're the ONLY guitar in the mix! Whatever you do, it will be noticed. And relevant to the overall sound of the group.

3) Trios are not for everyone. Some people like their music to be big, large and epic sounding. Trios are minimalistic, and thus, not for everyone.

But trios also mean: less trouble w/ band mates; less chances of problems with instruments, smaller vans and less expensive costs of travel, reduced overall costs of drugs (just kidding!!!), reduced need for stage space (hey, that's a real plus, you should have seen of of the tiny venues I've played; every inch counts). Trios rock!! :)

Cerb, drp146 and Seamus OReally like this.
  4. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Great kids!

Second mention in my post. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they do have their moments and they are (were) incredible musicians.

RIP Neil Peart. :(

Cerb likes this.
  5. esharpe123

esharpe123 New Member!

There are no rules for power trios. The only thing to avoid is using excessive effects. As someone else said, make the songs your own.

Cerb likes this.
  6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

This thread is making me miss my old band a lot. There was a wide-open freedom to it that made those guys my favorite band. They made me feel capable and confident. I sounded good.

duzie, Cerb and Esg877 like this.
  7. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Never stopped me, you just have to give up any sense of shame. :)

8. Bcorig

Bcorig Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

You have the opportunity to be the next Joe Walsh! None of your described or perceived shortcomings stopped him!

Cerb likes this.
  9. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

About 10 years ago I saw a band in a bar in a kinda backwater town . Typical 3 piece , bass , drums , guitar . They did a lot of AC/DC , bass player sang . The guitarist was no Angus , didn't do much lead work , but he had the chord chops down . They had a subwoofer in their PA , bass and drums both miked . The patrons were eating it up , and as a musician I was impressed as well . Bottom line , a three piece can work , but it works best with a great rhythm section to back you up . To me , one of the greatest 3 piece bands was The Who . Yeah I know technically they were 4 , but 3 instruments to back up Daltry . Entwhistle was one of the greatest bassists I ever saw , combined with Townsend and the one-of-a-kind Keith Moon , such a tight band . Fantastic live shows !

mapleglo and Cerb like this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Hey!

Thanks! I wouldn't say it went great, but it went OK. Most importantly, we had lots of fun!

Willmunny, duzie and Chicago Matt like this.
  11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

Awesome! Glad you had fun. Here's to the next one going better and being even more fun. :):thumb::thumb:

Cerb likes this.
  12. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

Having fewer guitarists gives you easier opportunities to leave some space in the music. You don't have to produce an uninterrupted wall of sound if you don't absolutely want to.

Cerb likes this.
  13. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

- Every band member should be busier than they would be in a four or five piece. That means bass or even drums playing licks that might otherwise be done on guitar or keys
    - Get all three to sing. Harmonies can fill sonic space otehrwise occupied by guitar or keys
    - Figure out how to transition between rhythm and lead smoothly. It might mean having to modify the original parts to get them to fit together effectively

Cerb likes this.
  14. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Here is a guy whose motto not only can't be 'less is more', but should actually be "More is not enough".

I admire his musical prowess, I don't particularly enjoy his music, or taste, but one thing is certain: if you wanted to torture me real bad, you'd make me walk around on those ultra tight leather pants. :confused:

Cerb likes this.
  15. Cerb

Thanks! Practicing like crazy now. I can't sing though. And I'm not just saying that.

16. Cerb

I was told that I need to wear a kilt next time... :eek:

Esg877 and Willmunny like this.
  17. Cerb

0130... I better call it a night. Some progress was made.

Esg877 likes this.