Open gear tuners on a strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by nickmsmith, Aug 29, 2020.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I like the aesthetics of the open gear tuners, but I never see them on strats or Teles. I know they’re historically used on Fender Basses, but not guitars.

I’ve not had much luck sourcing any, 6 in line, anybody ever seen them??

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Hipshot locking are open gear, but not the classic design that you're thinking of.

Here's a set from Allparts. Pretty cheap, I would assume imported, and they're all on a common plate so I don't know if the spacing matches Fender:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PDC2JW/?tag=strattalk05-20

I think we don't see these for 6-in-line because the spacing for the mounting plates is too tight... like the conventional Kluson design where the mounting holes are cut in half and 5 of the 7 screws are shared.

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

4. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

+1 on the Hipshot Open Gear Locking tuners. They are currently my favorite and go on all my builds. The less expensive ones are “licensed by Hipshot” and made off-shore. They are very similar to the made in USA version and also of excellent quality.

Bill, tgo

greezy strings and nickmsmith like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The ones in the links are for acoustic guitars.

Research what PRS is using lately, I think they have some on the Silver Sky even. I thought they were hipshot with some tweaks.

nickmsmith likes this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Silver Sky is 3+3, and they are just conventional Kluson (or kluson-style) square-back covered tuners.
    Same as a 50s Les Paul but with different knobs.

Yes, the units in the links are for acoustic, but that's probably the only 6 inline open-back you're going to find.
    They were used on some student models such as Teisco.

You could probably make these work in a 6 inline style, but they are sold as 3+3 so you'd have a wasted set (unless you have a friend who is a lefty), and at $17 from Stew-Mac, they still aren't going to be high quality:
    https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...achines/economy-open-gear-3-and-3-tuners.html

Stratoskater likes this.
  7. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

Hipshot definitely makes open gear locking tuners for electrics. They can be found in the first link in Ebidis’ post, four posts above.

Bill, tgo

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Thanks for the advice everybody!

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Nice. I was able to find a set of 6R cheapo tuners. I think they are similar to what’s on Bullet strats, without the back casing attached. But I like the white/pearl buttons.. and if they’re really bad, I’m out 12 dollars (about the cost of a lunch after tip.) This is going on a bullet neck anyway.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=171027126572

I like the old-looking vibe of the open gear for sure. And it looks like the mounting holes are in the identical spot as factory, and I can use the factory installed bushings.

CB91710 likes this.