Open Improv Invite #2022-57 Blues In C Minor

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
Ok. I'm going to have a punt at this over the weekend. Not sure how I'm going to record it, but I do need some help first. Cm6 G7#9. Can you show me the chords in tab please.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Nicely done mouse !

Thanks so much Stratafied. The blues isn't a genre I've spent any real time listening to or playing so I'm firmly in the "fake it till I make it" camp with this stuff. Heavy emphasis on the "fake it". :D

I'm always interested in what everyone else comes up with as it's a learning experience to hear how folks approach this. You should jump in!

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
I t
Thanks so much Stratafied. The blues isn't a genre I've spent any real time listening to or playing so I'm firmly in the "fake it till I make it" camp with this stuff. Heavy emphasis on the "fake it". :D

I'm always interested in what everyone else comes up with as it's a learning experience to hear how folks approach this. You should jump in!
you did really well. This is something I need to spend more time on , improvising over chord progressions.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I t

you did really well. This is something I need to spend more time on , improvising over chord progressions.

Somewhere in the bowels of this forum are videos from these challenges from around 10 years ago. I had no clue how to improvise and it showed. I was lucky that there were many patient members here to guide me so any improv skills I have now is due in no small part to them. It's a journey though and I still feel like I'm on mile 3 of the marathon.

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA
The interesting note(s) in this progression is what makes a C Minor chord into a C-Minor-6th chord. If you can take advantage of that fact, you may be able to make your improv a little more relational to the progression.

Last edited:

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA
Somewhere in the bowels of this forum are videos from these challenges from around 10 years ago. I had no clue how to improvise and it showed. I was lucky that there were many patient members here to guide me so any improv skills I have now is due in no small part to them. It's a journey though and I still feel like I'm on mile 3 of the marathon.

I think you're much further than mile 3 of the marathon. My skills at "covering" songs of others, unlike yours, is stunted. The older I get, the less interested I am in playing covers...or maybe it's just that my brain doesn't want to pick out the subtleties anymore.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I think you're much further than mile 3 of the marathon. My skills at "covering" songs of others, unlike yours, is stunted. The older I get, the less interested I am in playing covers...or maybe it's just that my brain doesn't want to pick out the subtleties anymore.

I was referring to improv but ok...maybe it's mile 5. :D

As for covers, I just love playing songs. I wish I were skilled enough to write my own that might be worth a damn but I'm pretty satisfied playing those of others. It's something that has gotten somewhat easier over time with each one I do. Similar to improv, that's largely because of folks here who again took time to explain certain theoretical concepts to me. While it wasn't the reason I wanted to improve my knowledge of theory, it definitely did help me figure songs out faster as I can visualize the fretboard much better and anticipate where most songs go. In the theory world though, I'm definitely still on mile 1!