Opinion on 2008 American standard in front of 2010 American standard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mork_sorka, Sep 6, 2021.

1. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Heh - perhaps in the sense that I thoroughly enjoy the business of taking Strats apart and putting them back together. :D

I love playing, and I've played Strats a long time, so my tinkering arose from having screwdrivers handy and having the desire to have them play, sound and feel the way I like them.

Jstaggs78 and Baelzebub like this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Can’t go wrong with either, welcome to strat talk. Don’t listen to those Les Paul guys.

Mr_Lahey and Baelzebub like this.
  3. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Well, they are both Black, so you can’t go wrong. :)

Check for fret wear and go with the least amount of fret wear.

cranky and Baelzebub like this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

It's a very friendly place with lots of knowledgeable people. Hope you stick around.

That first serial number is on the Fender site but it doesn't list a make. It's pretty clearly and American Standard though and a 2008. One reason the other neck might feel better is that the neck on the first pic looks a little off.

See how the 12th fret dots don't fall between the D/E and G/B strings?
    Compare it to the neck on the second guitar.

It looks a little off to the bass side but it's an easy fix. You loosen the neck bolts and pull the neck up as you hold the body and then tighten them up again. Very common and easy.

The second serial number doesn't come up in Fender's database at all, but that's not uncommon. Not all sellers/buyers register their instruments.

What's a bit more concern is that of the two less reliable databases that just use an algorithm to parse the numbers comes up with a wrong year and country for that neck, at least. But as I said, they're not really all that reliable, and on the face of it, that looks to be what the seller says...a 2010.

One way to be fairly certain is to get the numbers off the back of the pots and see what year those were. It's always a good idea, if possible, to get a look under the hood. You'll be able to confirm pickup types, date codes on the pots and see if the soldering is original.

Understand, I'm not looking to cause any alarm here, just giving you an idea of how to go about picking them apart.

If you're talking about the sticker imprint on the pickguard, as pointed out that's easily replaced. And that, to me, would indicate that that guitar sat for a long time without being played.

If that's the case it should have very little fret wear, which would also make it the better choice, assuming the 2008, which you said needs some setup, has either more fretware or is in need of more than just a typical setup, as in needs some frets leveled or something else.

Not that needing a setup is unusual. Most guitars, even new from the manufacturer can benefit from one. You should learn to do those yourself if you don't already know how.

You can find lots of help with that here, also.

5. SnakeJake

SnakeJake Strat-Talk Member

I did NOT advise ANYONE to buy a Gibson. I bought one. AND I bought A Strat. AND I bought a Tele. I say play what you feel is best for YOU. Play the guitar no matter what make that gives you the sound you are looking for. Play the guitar that makes you a better player. Be was my first choice. I to was my second choice. My third choice was something different. It took me 32 years get my Strat. I played that one for 7 years. Still do when I want to rock out. My Tele I use for country lead work. The third guitar I use for Gospel compositions. I never intended to insult anyone here. But I can't help wondering if at least one of you folks have something outside of Fender and why?

6. Sparque

Sparque Seriously-Stratified Silver Member

A limerick, in honor of this occasion;

I love my Fender Strat
    And whenever my wallet is fat
    I consider buying a Les Paul
    They are very costly, after all
    I guess I'm more a player than an aristocrat

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

Mr_Lahey, mork_sorka and rockon1 like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Don't buy guitars based on "year" or other arbitrary labels. Instead, look at the features (pickups, neck radius, etc) and if you like how it feels and looks to you.

I also strongly recommend playing and examining any guitar you're considering buying before purchase, especially in the price range you're looking at, if at all possible. That way you can detect wear and possible modifications before you buy and you can probably tell if the guitar meets your expectations.

Baelzebub and mork_sorka like this.
  8. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My motto-never buy signature models. Theyt were made for someone else. :D

9. mork_sorka

mork_sorka Strat-Talk Member

thank you, man!
    I checked 2 guitars by serials: what you mean first doesn’t make a list,
    Second one selled like 2011 but is 10prefix number of first half of 2010.

about dots on 12 fret: never knew it. I feeled leek neck not exactly strait really need adjustment.

I will really think I out second one. Many this week could go there

Baelzebub likes this.
  10. mork_sorka

Thank you for this also. Already by pic can say that the second guitar gave a same issue

11. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I mean it shows up on the Fender site but it doesn't say what model guitar it is.

12. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Those "10xxxxxx" serial numbers don't show up in Fender's online serial number search function; the were most often incorrectly entered into the database that this function searches. Evidently serial numbers are manually entered at some point in the process; I've heard that it is supposed to be entered by the dealer when they sell an instrument.

13. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

2008 is not 'better' than 2010 for a standard. That guy is full of it. They are very similar and it really just depends on which feels and sounds better to you.

mork_sorka likes this.
  14. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

they are the same guitar.
    The only thing I can remember is in 2012 they added custom shop pickups, but that was after this 2010 time frame.
    Don't pay a premium for the 2010 .. it doesn't make any sense.

15. wyldelife

wyldelife Strat-Talker

The serial on the 2010 looks off.
    My 2011 starts off with “US11

Attached Files:

16. tygr1

tygr1 Strat-Talker

This ^.

17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Not all 2010 Strats have the "US" prefix..... there are some 2010 Strats with serials like the one being discussed (see here).

18. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

While I posted in the thread that @bluejazzoid linked to I'll post again here: Fender used the "10xxxxxx" format for roughly the first 3-4 months of 2010, once they had used up the last of the 2009 (Z9xxxxxx") decals. As many of you know Fender serial number decals come in 2 parts - one says "Serial Number" and has the prefix that denotes the year; the other is a 6-digit number. For this "10xxxxxx" format the "10" and the other 6 digits are almost the same font. Circa April 2010 they switch to the current format of "USYYxxxxxx" - so from roughly April 2010 to March 2011 they use the "US10xxxxxx" serial numbers, then in March 2011 the year is updated to "US11xxxxxx", etc. The "changeover" seems to be a bit earlier these days, more February than March (when you check the neck dates).

As I mention in that thread that @bluejazzoid linked Fender still has a typo on their USA serial number page that says the serial numbers that start with "10" should be followed by 7 digits; that is wrong, the "10" is followed by 6 digits.

bluejazzoid and mork_sorka like this.
  19. mork_sorka

This was period they try new number system. It does not worked so they come back to older system in second half of 2010 vs US10 numbers

20. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

I think 2010 was a unique year in a sense that the four digits arranged in that particular order haven’t been used in 4,020 years to denote what year it is. As for strat production, I think the biggest difference is probably the serial number.