Opinions on 1960 Slab Board

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by nicholaskirk, May 18, 2021.

1. nicholaskirk

nicholaskirk New Member!

http://drewberlin.com/1960-fender-stratocaster-slab-board-sunburst-sn-50385/

Long time lurker with finally enough coin saved up to grab a real one! I spoke to the owner today and my only concern was that the truss rod doesn’t have a lot of room left. Is that an issue nowadays with new luthier tools available to add more thread?

Also, the pickups… does the impedance seem low or is that standard for the year?

Thanks so much! Humbled by this community and the wealth of knowledge. You guys are awesome!

2. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-O-Master

As long as the neck isn't twisted you're fine, pickup output is good..... the seller is well known in the industry, so you'll get what your paying for.

mikej89 likes this.
  3. nicholaskirk

nicholaskirk New Member!

Thanks so much!

4. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talker

Looks good!

5. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

That's a seriously gorgeous guitar! I really love the '59-'61 SB finish where the red has faded.

Daveycoyote likes this.
  6. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talker

So do I. There is still a good amount of red on the front of that one.

Still very attractive!

7. Daveycoyote

Daveycoyote Strat-Talker

I own a 1960 strat and the neck is solid probably the best neck profile imo 59-60
    But anyways I had a 65 mustang that had the issue your worried about...I had the best luthier in Canada fix it...he heated up the neck and bent it back while reseting the trust rod..I was worried but just another day for him

8. jd35801

jd35801 Strat-Talker

Wow, that is a seriously sweet guitar! Good luck, hope it all works out for you!

9. Kenny80121

Kenny80121 Strat-Talker

“Slab board Stratocasters (from 1959 to 1962) are very desirable due to extensive use from Stevie Ray Vaughan.”

seller strikes me as a bull **** artist- as this is bull ****. Stevies #1 was a lam board.

Daveycoyote and rolandson like this.
  10. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Don't hold back Kenny! Tell us what you really think!

I don't think the seller said anything about a slab being Vaughan's only Strat neck. I suspect Vaughan had more than one :cool:

Now then, I'm not an expert but will happily play such for a small fee...

Regarding the truss business:

I read nothing about it in the sales pitch;it could very well be that the guitar had been placed in storage for a period. It is my habit to relax the truss when I slack the strings for storage or travel...

...without confirmation, I wouldn't be too haste in believing the rod is maxed out. But, if it is, it is a fix that has been practiced for a very long time. I first read about it in detail 30-35 years ago.

Which segues nicely into:

The only thing that jumps at me is the pristine condition of the pickguard. It is exceedingly rare to find a genuine original in that condition. (Though I am certain they are out there.)

There is virtually no shrinkage showing. None is readily apparent with the exception of perhaps three of the of th pg mounting screws. But interestingly, there doesn't appear to be corresponding shrinkage where it is most common; the cutouts for the pickups.

I am afraid that if it were my $29k on the table, I would want the pickguard freed of the shield and pickups and thoroughly examined back and front.

And measured.

The thickness of the originals differs slightly from what are considered the finest and most accurate aftermarket celluloid reproductions that have ever been available: the Lashing.

Absent measurements, there is simply no way to visually tell them apart...that I am aware of.

The only other disturbance I find is my lack of ability to zoom the photos in android. I'd love a closer look but can't make it happen.

Everything else is quite exciting, indeed all of it is...and to be within reach is an outstanding place to be.

I'd encourage an 'in person' examination of course, and should doing so require air travel, a first class ride for the return leg at the very least. Such to make accommodating the guitar returning with you in the first class coat closet. Or purchase a seat for the instrument next to you in the back of the bus.

11. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Under the microscope, the guard does shows signs of shrinking - tell-tale screw misalignment here....

upload_2021-6-17_22-8-52.png

upload_2021-6-17_22-9-43.png

I agree - VERY hard to see on an Android ;)

rolandson and Gedster like this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

And unfortunately android is all I have at the moment...
    So Bazz,
    Would you agree that this pickguard is an extraordinary specimen?

Bazz Jass likes this.
  13. Bazz Jass

An old pickguard like this often cracks and can get all nicotine stained from years of bar work, but in terms of robustness, it should stand up to the rigours of life far better than one of those early nitro finishes that pretty much started flaking as soon as you looked at them.

Here's another example. These guards would certainly show more pick wear etc under real life examination.

[​IMG]

rolandson likes this.
  14. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

May I assume that everybody reading this save @nicholaskirk haz a jealous? I know I do!

15. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

The guard on my 64 actually looks its 57 years. It is cracked and has shrunk and shows the scars of a life in bars all over...unlike that in the OP, which looks as though it was made yesterday.
    363.jpg

Wonder if @nicholaskirk is interested in a trade?

16. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Newb question: Why do the pickguards shrink? What type of plastic is it?

17. Bazz Jass

I'd rather have yours ;)

18. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Type of plastic. Old ones were made of celluloid, new ones are ...other stuff. Vinyls mostly.

StratUp likes this.
  19. Bazz Jass

Big problem for vintage acoustic guitars too. Celluloid pickguards were GLUED to the top, and when they shrank they often cracked the tops. Yikes!

upload_2021-6-18_10-43-20.png

jofish, Gedster and StratUp like this.
  20. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Oh...that sucks.