Opinions on EJ strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by afireinside, May 3, 2021.

1. afireinside

afireinside Strat-Talker

Should be here tomorrow but im getting antsy. From GC Used a 2021 tropical turquoise has the tan tolex case and candy. Minor buckle marks not through the paint (thin nitro) has a hot rail in the bridge (odd choice) but stock is in the case. Paid $1440 shipped. I dident think too bad in this insane climate considering they are $2300+ w tax new

Just not sure about the soft v neck. I do love chunky 50s profiles so i think ill be good. And i love clean lower output vintage strat singles. Anyone care to chime in experience?

Screenshot_20210429-134430_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210429-134438_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210429-134445_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210429-134451_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210429-134459_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210429-134508_Samsung Internet.jpg

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    Kinda late to be asking for opinions ain't it?

All I know is this: Assuming no major issues, if it sounds great then everything else will fall in place...

`

3. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Probably the best non custom shop strat money can buy....congrats.

4. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Interesting, 4 springs on the claw, as opposed to the regular three. This, with the Hot Rails P/U suggests some serious gigging, of some sort.

bluesguy62 likes this.
  5. afireinside

afireinside Strat-Talker

I guess the EJ normally comes with 5 springs..... hopefully the 5th is in the case.

Screenshot_20210503-121802_Samsung Internet.jpg

6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

The high e string is perilously close to the edge of the fretboard.
    With vintage spacing/specs this is pretty common.
    If that doesn't bother you, it'll be a fantastic guitar.

7. catsandstrats

catsandstrats Strat-Talk Member

In my experience, they're fairly opinionated instruments but the quality is fantastic. If you like all the preference choices that have been made, you'll have yourself a life long instrument friend.

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

Looking forward to your NGD post.

stratobiker likes this.
  9. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

I like the color on the one you've purchased. I purchased a used EJ Strat about 15 years ago when they were only available in sunburst with the maple neck and came in the white tolex case. I had it for a couple of years but never warmed up to the flatter radius neck. It was an excellent guitar especially for those who prefer the flatter radius.

10. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

Is it just my eyesight but frets look huge - refret?

11. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-Talker

I got my 2006 EJ Strat on Friday; it came with a scalloped neck mounted and the EJ maple neck in a separate box-- I've owned an EJ maple neck before, so this was exactly my preference and the reason why I bought it.

It is/was a good price for a production USA Strat. For me, it wasn't very special since all my Strats have been modded to my preference and I'm happy with the way they play. At 7 lbs 12.4 oz, it's not super lightweight.

After playing and going over it, I replaced the 2-7/32" string-spaced bridge with a narrower 2-1/16" conversion (Highway 1) bridge. It wasn't as necessary as it was with the YJM Strat, but it's an improvement that I appreciate. The EJ's tremolo block doesn't seem particularly special, except for having "EJ" stamped on it. Callaham's steel block is probably better than the Highway 1's, but the bridge plate doesn't have the deflection range of Fender's (a deliberate design decision by Callaham): If you want both, you have to buy both (gee, how do I know this?).

For the umpteenth time, I gave single coil pickups a try. I still hate 60 Hz hum. I replaced them with an old set of Kinman Woodstocks. Although the pickup cavities were shallow, I didn't need to route them deeper.

I'm skeptical of some of the EJ Strat's advertised special tonal features (IMO, dead wood doesn't need to breathe), but everyone's free to believe what they want. Although I love EJ's playing, I don't expect that it will magically give me any of his special mojo-- he was a really good guitarist when he was a teenager, and that was a long time ago. Nevertheless, it's a very good guitar and I'm glad I bought it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    EC Strat and stratocastaway like this.
  12. arct

arct Strat-Talker

Nice! My 2015 came out of the sealed box with three springs.

First order of business was lose the tuners, Standard/American Standard/American Professionals went on it.
    Straplocks. Sold the original pickguard intact, mine is white pearl, set of Duncan Little 59's in it currently, probably become Custom Shop Pearly Gates in the near future. Very shallow pickup space, had to rout it to get stacks and buckers in it. Three way switch. Rock machine that thing is, the neck is just divine. Enjoy!

rct

Kingmarc1982 likes this.
  13. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Rather beautiful.

14. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

EJ is a great signature guitar
    Have a rosewood neck version. No issue with the stock tuners. Quality is great on the guitar

marcostrumm and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  15. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I had one when they first came out. It had the sticky neck and I never got on with it. Having EJ sign the back of the headstock didn’t help. I got my money back a few years later when I sold it.... it never sounded as good as it did that day in the store. Maybe it’s just me...

Nate D likes this.
  16. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Never had one, pretty much everyone agree it's a great Strat. Obviously replaced bridge pickup, I agree with the comment above about the high e very close to the fretboard edge, during vibrato this usually pull the string out of the fretboard with my technique. If you are lucky there's just enough room in the neck pocket to better align the neck.

17. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i have the same guitar. I bought also from GC used but mine was mint , still had the plastic on the guard. I will say i had a hell of a time getting the neck where i wanted it. I probably removed the neck 20 times to tighten the truss rod, eventually pulled the truss rod nut and put a washer in. I have the neck as flat as i can get it , i like low action. I did have to level 3 or 4 high spots on various frets. I'm very pleased with the guitar i really like the pickups they are among the best single coil i've come across and i run through a high gain Friedman patch on a Fractal, very little if any noise from the pickups with all the advantages of what a true single coil provides.

A few more things to note. The string spacing is wide so at the 21st fret there is little to no room on the edges of the frets. This can cause concern but doesnt seem to be an issue. I swapped the springs to easier ones, if you plan to float the trem and actually use it, the stock springs are way too stiff. Finish on the guitar is flawless and these are not heavy like many other models. I love the neck profile just perfect medium thick rounded C shape. The pickguard is one of a kind it's an 8 hole but three ply. Not even WD or Fender sells this pickguard if you plan on replacing it.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Kingmarc1982 likes this.
  18. kdines

kdines Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I had WD make a ‘custom’ 3 ply mint green one for my EJ Strat to keep with the 8 holes but like you say, they don’t have them on the shelf.

joesatch likes this.
  19. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

I think that once you hit a certain level of quality in a guitar, it just becomes subjective preference (budget, colour, neck shape, fret size, neck radius etc.). Obviously the EJ is at that point in quality.

Notwithstanding, the EJ is the best playing/sounding Strat I have ever owned (in 30 years of playing). I have had countless Strats over the years (but never a Custom Shop). I've had/have MIM, MIJ, MIA, Ultra's and Special run's/Ltd & anniversary editions. Most of them were traded and/or sold over the years to fund yet others! After all the dust settled, if I could only own one Strat, I would pick the EJ. I still hate the vintage heel adjust truss rod though. :rolleyes:

mazzolar59 likes this.
  20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I played one once that belonged to a friend of mine. It was a nice Strat, and one of the lightest weight Strats that I have ever played.

It sounded and felt good.