Opinions on EJ strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by afireinside, May 3, 2021.

1. jd35801

jd35801 Strat-Talker

That’s a beautiful guitar, and I was very impressed when I played a friend’s EJ. If it plays and sounds the way you want, then I think you got a deal! HNGD!

2. 64cousins

64cousins Strat-Talk Member

I have this guitar. Got it second hand a few months ago.
    Finally got the chance to play live with it this week and it sounded great. Really really great.
    That E string spacing can catch you out a bit at first but you do get used to it.
    Why on earth people change the PU's I'll never understand, they are very very good.
    Its my number 1

3. Zamboni Dave

Zamboni Dave Strat-Talk Member

I picked up a coupe of Strats last year - one of which is an EJ in the Aqua Lucerne Firemist finish that I'd lusted after for a while.
    [​IMG]
    I really like it a lot.
    At the time I got it, I was getting ready to play in a band project that tuned half a step down.
    My intention was to use the '69 relic Strat for that, since it had so much "Jimi vibe"......but......
    Once I played around with both of them tuned down, the EJ sounded far better for that - no contest, and that's where it's stayed since.

The pickups are superb.....I wouldn't change them for anything.
    I have had an instance or two of the E strings pulling off to the side, but it's something that hasn't bothered me enough to make any adjustments to the guitar.....I adjust my playing a bit instead.

My biggest complaint about was that at first, the neck was kinda sticky.
    The whole thing smelled like a body shop when I opened the case for the first 7-8 months.
    I don't think the nitro was completely cured, but that has subsided, and the neck feels fine now.

CRobbins likes this.
  4. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Strat-Talk Member

It looks like the one I have ;)

CRobbins likes this.
  5. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I love those guitars with the binding on the necks. Similar to @Electgumbo in like 2006 when they first came out I didn’t like how sticky the necks were, but I love those turquoise guitars. I secretly want one.

stratobiker likes this.
  6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

Mine is from 2017, black with the maple board, and 5 springs, for what that's worth. I have found no reason to change anything on on it. Great player and sounds very Stratty.

stratobiker likes this.
  7. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The ‘soft v’ is so soft you have to check it’s v.....it is quite chunky...

But a great guitar....mine is a 2007....maple neck.